Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Graycliff Crystal Pirate

6-7 years ago these and a few other cigars (Fuente, Padron Annies, Opus etc) were in my mind "the specials" that I pulled out when the occasion warranted. A super premium cigar priced that way and in my memories a consistently better than normal every day smokes.

Well... my normal everyday smokes have changed a bit. Pulled open the NC singles drawer looking for a change of pace lunchtime cigar today. Saw the section with these in it, smiled and grabbed 2 for Sam and I to smoke at lunch. These were from 2003 or 2004.

It burned perfectly the entire length. A beautifully made cigar. Obvious that the craftsmanship, materials and care were top notch in putting this cigar together.

The flavors? My mouth loved this cigar. Leaves a wonderful aftertaste that is rich and unique. Lots of saliva generated either through fact or power of suggestion. I read long ago that they put a leaf called "grecian" that supposedly stimulates the saliva glands on the sides of your tongue in these.

The nasal exhale was a disappointment. Harsh and .. well harsh. Mouth only? One of the better and more unique cigars. When judged by how I smoke today, (Nasal exhale) it is a difficult cigar to enjoy as you can only let a bit out or it becomes unpleasant.

Overall, a great cigar that is not designed for the way I choose to smoke any more.

I guess the moral of the story is.. you can go back, but things are never the same.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Grarcliff Crystal Pirate

This was the first Graycliff I ever smoked, and I thought the same thing. It kind of turned me off from the whole line for awhile.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, do you think they've gotten better, on the whole, since you last visited them?
Did you snork when you last smoked them?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Dave, do you think they've gotten better, on the whole, since you last visited them?
Did you snork when you last smoked them?
Twas not a snorker back then. Loved them at the time. Now they are a waste of a really fine mouth breather cigar when I smoke them. Smoking it helps me crystalize my thinking on cigar preferences being closely tied to "smoking methods".
Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Twas not a snorker back then. Loved them at the time. Now they are a waste of a really fine mouth breather cigar when I smoke them. Smoking it helps me crystalize my thinking on cigar preferences being closely tied to "smoking methods".
It's only recently been brought to my attention that there was anyone who didn't snork. I honestly thought everyone did, or at least almost everyone did. When that came to light, it made sense to my why so many guys were raving about cigars that totally suck.
It's a reason why I've been deemed so "particular", too.
When I'm experiencing all the parts of cigar smoke with all my senses, that's a LOT of scorecards that a cigar has to stand against. If it fails in any one aspect, I won't go back to it. There's too many good cigars out there to waste time trying to like one I don't like.
I understand completely how the cigar was good and now it isn't so good.
You just gave it a more rigorous test is all.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
SIMPLIFIED
2010shack corn hole chap

Trading: (2)
Partagas
SIMPLIFIED will become famous soon enough

First off thanks for the smoke Dave. As I said about 5 minutes into it, probably the most expensive stick I have smoked in months and it was not what I expected. Been a really, really long time since I smoked an NC. In fact I can't remember the last one I smoked but I also can't remember what I had for dinner last night so that does not mean much.

I am not much one for reviews but like Dave my tastes have changed. I thought this was harsh and lacked any subtle nuances that I am used to with my normal rotation. Overall a disappointment but the band looked really cool...
SIMPLIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote