Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Aged pipe tabacco, where to buy?

I have found one or two places, but was wondering where everyone else purchased their vintage or aged pipe tabacco.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aged pipe tabacco, where to buy?

http://www.pipestud.com/ he consigns vintage baccies, solid dood
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
www.pipestud.com he consigns vintage baccies, solid dood
this portion removed....

-----

on topic:
a lot of us get them from pipe shows, friends who are willing to trade them/sell them... we find them... we have aged them ourselves...

how "vintage" are you looking?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
this portion removed....

-----

on topic:
a lot of us get them from pipe shows, friends who are willing to trade them/sell them... we find them... we have aged them ourselves...

how "vintage" are you looking?
have you had bad dealings with him? I've dealt with him once and it was a smooth transaction. If he's less than reliable please tell, he doesn't post here anyway

as for these pipe shows, someday I would like to live close enough to one to attend
Old 01-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
... less than reliable ...
There are auction sellers who misrepresent current production tobacco as vintage or discontinued. While experienced buyers may recognize what is what, these listings prey on inexperienced buyers. I find the practice dishonest and distasteful.

And there are boards that selectively delete posts, ban members and cover the asses of their beloved sons. This is not one of those boards and I am not hardly a beloved son. If anyone thinks I'm a liar they can rip me a new asshole and BossHogg up at Admin won't lift a finger to help. That's the way it should be.

Getting back to the original post, why even bother to seek out vintage tobacco? It's a funny game to find and buy the right stuff at the right price. It isn't like current production is bad.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Bruce
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
Bruce is on a distinguished road

try Ebay.
I have found many tins that were rare treasures. Some I got at a good price, some I paid what the FMV was, some I paid more becuase I really wanted it, and a few tin I stole off Ebay. Like a 50 year old cutter top of Escudo for $15 bucks!

As mentioned above, watch out for pipestud. That being said, if you know what you are looking for and researched, sometimes you can get a fair deal.
I have bought from him several times in the past.....but I knew what I was getting into.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Paulmac
CA Noob Ambassador

Trading: (0)
Paulmac is on a distinguished road

Just remember, on EBay you are paying for the collectible container. Any contents are irrelevant and not meant for consumption!

ROFLMAO
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
There are auction sellers who misrepresent current production tobacco as vintage or discontinued. While experienced buyers may recognize what is what, these listings prey on inexperienced buyers. I find the practice dishonest and distasteful.

And there are boards that selectively delete posts, ban members and cover the asses of their beloved sons. This is not one of those boards and I am not hardly a beloved son. If anyone thinks I'm a liar they can rip me a new asshole and BossHogg up at Admin won't lift a finger to help. That's the way it should be.

Getting back to the original post, why even bother to seek out vintage tobacco? It's a funny game to find and buy the right stuff at the right price. It isn't like current production is bad.
word up on all 3 statements.
1) pipestud has been called out by a select # of individuals on a certain board. he publicly admitted to purposefully misrepresenting his auctions.
2) those posts and topics have been removed from a certain forum because you can't have a dissenting opinion about anything at all... ever. and heaven forbid you disagree with the practices of someone in the pipe smoking hall of fame. no matter what size prick they may be by publicly admitting that they lie in their auctions.
3) i was going to comment on what Dan just did, but figured you're a big boy and if you want vintage tobacco... go for it. but it seems like you won't have a baseline to compare them to since you're fairly new to pipe tobacco in general (i think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
try Ebay.
I have found many tins that were rare treasures. Some I got at a good price, some I paid what the FMV was, some I paid more becuase I really wanted it, and a few tin I stole off Ebay.

As mentioned above, watch out for pipestud. That being said, if you know what you are looking for and researched, sometimes you can get a fair deal.
I have bought from him several times in the past.....but I knew what I was getting into.
fo shizzle.

another example of a pipestud auction:
one week a 5 pack of older escudo went for $65 (for the entire 5 pack).
next week, i attempt to bid on the very same product, only from pipestud. it went for over $200.
that same week, i won 6 tins of the very same thing from a different guy (plus 3 more tins offline), and i paid less than $110 for 9 tins of the older Escudo.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

I just wanted to get a couple, I plan on buying bunches of new stuff, and part of the fun is aging it yourself. But wanted to have some aged stuff too
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

That's very interesting about pipestud, I didn't know

but I'm not surprised about the other forum in question. That place gets on my nerves really badly, it's run by a bunch of sensitive little girls. I figured adult men were capable of reading certain self-censored words, nope, B******* needed to be replaced with "bellyache" by a mod. Nevermind if you question someone they jump all over you like, well you don't smoke exclusively peterson pipes so you don't know

thanks for the heads ups
Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
I just wanted to get a couple, I plan on buying bunches of new stuff, and part of the fun is aging it yourself. But wanted to have some aged stuff too
yep, understood. best place, currently, would be either that link you asked me about (but very limited to those 2 brands, not much choice), or pipestud.

the positive about pipestuds site is that you know the pricing going in, a lot of the tobacco on there you can ask if it's a good price now instead of dealing with ebay fickleness.
there were a few times i really wanted to pull the string on some stuff he had, i just didn't have the funds at the time.

edit: i have managed to snag some pipes off ebay from him for super cheap. i guess he doesn't take the time to clean the pipes he gets, so some solid mid-ranged pipes can be had for $20 +/- a few.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Curly Cut
Not Scary

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIT!!!
he's asking $75 a TIN for Escudo??? i just GAVE a tin away a couple weeks ago...

edit: i hadn't been to his site in a few months... i guess he's really jacked the prices up now that the tax hike scare is going wild.
really surprised by how high his prices have gone up on some things.
i'm still in shock over Escudo being $75 a tin.

i don't know if "he" sets his prices, or if the consigner does... but damn.
there's 1 thing i'd buy from his site right now, if i had the extra $$ layin around. there's things i wouldn't mind owning, but not as his prices. 1 thing i would pay the amount he's asking...
the more i think about it, the more i'd do this (if i had the time).

Last edited by Curly Cut; 01-27-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Curly Cut is offline   Reply With Quote