Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #21
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rescue Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Trent, the first season premiered on July 21, 2004, so it was almost 3 full years after 9/11. It hardly "cashes in" on the esteem that firefighters are held in, it shows them with more problems than the average Joe.
It was the first show about FDNY post 9/11, and even though it was almost three years after 9/11, firefighters were more revered then ever. IMHO it was a convenient time to produce a series about fireman especially FDNY.

Quote:
I could find no news reports of any Fire Department suing Leary's foundation.

I couldn't seem to find anything about it either. Firehouse is where I read about it, but I'm not sure where the story went. The story went into LFF having finical trouble. The dept. was a larger city dept. who purchased an equipment truck. The contracts were signed and the vehicle was built. When it came time for delivery there was no money. The manufacture was on the dept. for the money because of the contract and the dept. was going after LFF because they awarded them the grant.

I'm not saying Dennis Leary hasn't done a ton of good for the fire service. I'm just not into the TV show, but I will admit I assumed LFF was created after Rescue Me. I didn't know it was created in 2000 to honor his cousin.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #22
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabinger16 View Post
It was the first show about FDNY post 9/11, and even though it was almost three years after 9/11, firefighters were more revered then ever. IMHO it was a convenient time to produce a series about fireman especially FDNY.
We can just agree to disagree, My Brother.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #23
Junior

Can not wait. Great show.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #24
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

Partagas

Quote:
We can just agree to disagree, My Brother.
That's cool, much love!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well... i'd say about the last thing this show does is glorify the fiirefighters. really shows them with all their warts, for the most part.
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #26
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
well... i'd say about the last thing this show does is glorify the fiirefighters. really shows them with all their warts, for the most part.
It was not my intent to imply Fox was attempting to glorify firefighters with the show. It's simply my opinion that Fox decided to produce a TV series about FDNY Firefighters in the wake 9/11. Even if it was almost 3 years past, it was still very fresh in the hearts and minds of every American. FDNY was in the forefront of the disaster, and in my opinion Fox knew a show such as Rescue Me would have a high probability of succeeding.

I'll state again though, I've only seen a couple episodes. It may be an extremely entertaining show, but I don't care for it due to the reason I feel it was produced.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #27
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I enjoy the show and try to watch it with some of my firefighter buddies (they are firemen, I am not). I know all the great things that the brave men and women of these fire companies do so actually seeing the "real" side of these people portrayed to me is enjoyable. Good show and I have been a Leary fan since seeing "The Ref".
Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
It was not my intent to imply Fox was attempting to glorify firefighters with the show. It's simply my opinion that Fox decided to produce a TV series about FDNY Firefighters in the wake 9/11. Even if it was almost 3 years past, it was still very fresh in the hearts and minds of every American. FDNY was in the forefront of the disaster, and in my opinion Fox knew a show such as Rescue Me would have a high probability of succeeding.
I'll state again though, I've only seen a couple episodes. It may be an extremely entertaining show, but I don't care for it due to the reason I feel it was produced.
Of course that is true, Trent, a network would be foolish to produce a show that they didn't think had a high probability of succeeding.

I think, based on Leary's actions before the show was produced (i.e, his Foundation, started in 2000 even before 9/11), his motivation for making the series may have been a bit more heartfelt than simply capitalizing on 9/11.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Of course that is true, Trent, a network would be foolish to produce a show that they didn't think had a high probability of succeeding.
I think, based on Leary's actions before the show was produced (i.e, his Foundation, started in 2000 even before 9/11), his motivation for making the series may have been a bit more heartfelt than simply capitalizing on 9/11.

Good point Tom!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #30
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I started watching this when it started and caught most if not all of the first season. When I moved I didn't have a tivo forever and missed most of the 3rd and 4th seasons. I might catch the new one tonight.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey View Post
I started watching this when it started and caught most if not all of the first season. When I moved I didn't have a tivo forever and missed most of the 3rd and 4th seasons. I might catch the new one tonight.
I have Seasons 3 and 4 on DVD if you wanna borrow them, Dave.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #32
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

Partagas

i thought it was pretty good last night. got me right back into the flow.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #33
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

TiVo'ed it as I was watching the Blackhawks....probably get to it over the weekend...Glad to hear it was good.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #34
jamesb3

Been a watcher of this show since day one. Absolutely a great show. Love the fact that this is a 22 episode season. Just more of a great thing. Only T.V. show that I watch.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #35
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

Since Tom hasn't seen it yet, I won't give anything away but I think it was a pretty good show and Leary is just great. Enjoy it Tom.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #36
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Since Tom hasn't seen it yet, I won't give anything away but I think it was a pretty good show and Leary is just great. Enjoy it Tom.
totally agree - would like to see this show and actors in it get some sort've recognition one of these days (emmys, globes?)...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #37
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

I have watched since show #1, one of the best shows ever made. If you like this show, you should seriously also rent DEADWOOD if you have not seen that series. Both are edgy with interesting characters.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #38
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
I have watched since show #1, one of the best shows ever made. If you like this show, you should seriously also rent DEADWOOD if you have not seen that series. Both are edgy with interesting characters.
I completely agree with you on both counts! Rescue Me is just another example of FX really doing a great job on some of the series out there. Rescue Me, The Shield, and Sons of Anarchy to name my favorites. Can't wait to get home tonight, crack open a couple beers, and watch Rescue Me!
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #39
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

c.u.n.t.h.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #40
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I've seen a few episodes but haven't watched it weekly. Maybe something to catch up on for the next season