Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Why I Like My Job: Strip Mall Wall Collapse

SEE PICTURES HERE

It's been a few years since we have had a good ole fashion collapse of any kind. Not since the 4 story condo's blew out a wall - so it's always fun to get a decent collapse where nobody got hurt (except for the owners bank account - LOL).

First off - this is basically all we do. Structural foundation repairs, deep helical pile repairs, support, lifting and leveling of buildings, etc, commercial and residential.

So over the past weekend we get a call of a wall collapse on a two story, block and brick commercial strip mall. 12" CMU with 4" concrete slab on metal joist work, brick facade.

What you are seeing in the picture is a 12 foot tall by 18 foot hole failure caused by soil pressure on a sub-standard corner design. Why the slab did not collapse is just - well nobody knows. Currently that 4" slab is supporting 25 feet (height) of 8" CMU and brick - in addition to the roof load and live floor loads. Magic I guess - LOL.

So we have two days of shoring in so far. Little touchy as you don't really want to be standing under it if it decides to let loose. Tomorrow we expect to get the shoring up under the broken wall you see. Which means we have to excavate the debris you see - which will cause more collapse of the soils - hopefully without additional pressure on the right side of the hole - which has a six bow in it. Then we can get the final parallel shoring wall in place.

Once we get all the shoring in - then we can excavate the exterior for the wall replacement.

Some may ask why we are not using standard steel column shoring - this is a 14'-6" height - and our stuff does not reach that high, so good ole timber shoring it is. Another two days and we will have her wrapped up.

Anyway - fun stuff - LOL

Ron

Last edited by RGD.; 12-29-2009 at 06:58 PM.
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why I Like My Job: Strip Mall Wall Collapse

Cool
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

They filled the area behind the concrete block with no reinforcement??????

How old was this building? That was horribly ignorant.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak_rat View Post
They filled the area behind the concrete block with no reinforcement??????

How old was this building? That was horribly ignorant.
Current owner bought the building in 96. No one is actually sure on the buildings completion date. Inspection sticker on the service panel is either 1983 or 85 - but that also could have been just for this suite.

Yeah - no reinforcement - lack of shear design on the front wall connection - it's a butt joint with brick ties embedded in the concrete - LOL.

Our structural engineer was on-site today to approve my shoring plan and inspect - he did a cursory walk around of the entire building - and guess what? The opposite corner (left side of building) is showing signs of stress/cracking/bowing also. Owner wants that whole wall braced/shored as soon as we are done with this shoring to prevent a collapse. I looked at it this after noon - we can save that wall.

I thought you'd enjoy these pictures Zack.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

I'm surprised the T-Bar lid didn't hold up that wall.

Crazy stuff. On a positive side if it wasn't for some of these dipsh!t engineers you wouldn't have any work
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing. Be safe.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

On a good note it seems no one was hurt and job security for you.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Shoddy workmanship, mall jobs 95% of the time go to low ball contractors that are always cutting corners.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Interesting. I worked for a house mover years ago and we did a lot of shoring jobs (mainly residential), but nothing on that scale.
One of our biggest projects was moving a cinder block building that had been built about 6 feet over the property line. Our solution was to set up a system of steel beams inside and out. Then we drilled holes below the center of each block in the 2nd course, ran steel banding through the holes and over the beams, and jacked the whole building up so we could clear out the bottom course of blocks. The building was lowered onto dollies, then a contractor extended the pad, we moved the building 6 feet, and he and his crew laid a new bottom course of blocks. We set the building down, and trimmed the banding flush once the mortar had set. IIRC, it was about a 3 week project between set-up, curing, and cleanup. I'm sure the owner passed the bill on to his surveyor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote