Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation
Default Anyone ever been to Nicaragua?

So I got gifted a trip to check out the new AJ Fernandez farm or whatever it is they're building in Nicaragua. I don't know much of the details. It includes everything but the flight, no biggy. Free food, cigars, accommodations, and other stuff. Just need to book my own flight. It's supposed to be sometime in March I believe.

Just curious if any of you guys have been down there before and what your experiences were like.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone ever been to Nicaragua?

I wish I was in your shoes, I'm sure JD will chime in
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have been to Nicaragua, but that was before I was into cigars. I went to Managua in 2000 for a church mission trip with my church. It was and awesome experience. The people of Managua are POOR and we did a joint building/medical mission. It was an experience I will never forget. Sorry I know this doesn't lend anything to your original question though.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
thechrisdotcom

It's in Esteli. They're finishing up their plantation house. I believe that's where I would be staying.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisdotcom View Post
It's in Esteli. They're finishing up their plantation house. I believe that's where I would be staying.
Read an article by AJ about the new plantation, the guest house is supposed to be amazing not sure how much more of Nic. you will see other than Esteli, my SIL/BIL spent a couple years in Nic. in the peace corps. alot different than what you will experience I am sure. Sounds like an awesome trip though!!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I would love to experience something like that. Sounds fun and enjoy when the time comes!
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I was there last year about this time. What I did / saw won't necessarily be the same as what you will experience, so maybe a few travel pointers is probably the best bet.

You'll probably fly into MGA, obviously, you need a valid passport and you'll fill out the entry visa on the plane. For the reason of the visit both on the form and when the customs agent asks you at the airport, tell them cigars. It's a big deal to them and a source of pride, so they like hearing it. Clearing customs on the way in will take about 10 minutes and cost you US$10.

It's about 2-1/2 hours from MGA to Esteli by private bus, a bit less by private car. They might take you to a few stops on the way, it's all up to AJ and his people what else they decide to show you, but there is plenty of it for them to pick from.

Obviously, don't drink the water - and pack benadryl, sudafed, asprin, tylenol, immodium, eye drops, etc... or whatever else you might want/need because there are no Walgreens down there. Yeah, they can find them, but it's easier to just bring them.

Take a comfortable pair of shoes as you'll be walking a lot through the factories. Tobacco fields tend to be muddy, so take shoes you don't mind getting dirty.

Also, if you plan on taking only shorts, take a set of long pants with you too - if you go to any of the nightclubs in Esteli, they have a "no shorts, no flip-flops" dress code. The 3-strap hiking sandals with a pair of socks and jeans are fine, as are most t-shirts, or at least that's what they let us into Cigarzone with.

When you go to leave, MGA is pretty fast to get through, but plan on having your carry ons x-rayed and then hand-searched for drugs again right before boarding. They didn't seem to care about my cutter, but they confiscated the pack of matches, so YMMV with lighters.

Clearing customs in Miami is just a lot of standing around and walking from one area to the next. But at least after you clear there is a Versallies in the airport to grab a cuban sandwich from before you get on the next flight.

Cellphones... AT&T has service down there, so if you want it, you can contact them and they have a low cost, very limited plan that you can get for a few days. Otherwise, just leave the phone in flight mode.

Power is all 110VAC edison plugs, so you shouldn't need to worry about travel adapters/transformers.

Hope that helps some.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
thechrisdotcom

Wow, thanks TG.

I already knew about the water and kind of had the idea to pack all the meds and what not since I'd figured it'd be pretty scarce down there to them in case of an emergency.

What does YMMV mean?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

'welcome.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
thechrisdotcom

oh ok.

Now I need to talk the wife into letting me go on this trip. She's all freaked out cuz some guy from Seattle got busted for no reason down there claiming he was dealing and trafficking drugs.

I don't see anything like that happening to me. I'm getting straight off a plane and straight to the AJ people to take care of everything.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, I try to read up every time I go to another country. It serves two purposes. One, I enjoy the trip more, two, I don't offend anyone.
Local customs are different everywhere. In Dominican, for instance, EVERYONE tips each other for everything. That's the locals, tourists, literally everyone. You tip someone if you just ask them for directions or information about what's in a shop. You have to have a never-ending supply of dollar bills.

That said, Frommer's makes great guides. I just found their guide to Esteli online.
There's not much there, but there's also a forum. Hit wikipedia and stuff like that. You'll be glad you did.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

And yeah, absolutely, you're gonna get babysat from the word go. You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it a bit.
They run scams in every single tourist destination, most straight through the cops. It's been happening forever. My FIL just told a story about getting shook down by Mexican border cops for $250 between him and his 4 buds, and that was 50 years ago. The cab driver told the border guard that they cut the seats in his car which was patently and obviously untrue (the seats looked like they were wore out 20 years before they got in there.)
But they had to pay the money. Fortunately they scratched up enough to get shook loose.
You'll be isolated from any of that crap. Still, read up.
I'm headed to Belize in January and I'm reading two books to get ready for the trip. They outline all the kind of stuff to avoid, look out for, and what to avoid. Even if you're being babysat, it's no reason to not do your homework. Doing your homework would probably set your wife at ease, too. She won't think she's sending a blockhead to death's door.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisdotcom View Post
oh ok.

Now I need to talk the wife into letting me go on this trip. She's all freaked out cuz some guy from Seattle got busted for no reason down there claiming he was dealing and trafficking drugs.

I don't see anything like that happening to me. I'm getting straight off a plane and straight to the AJ people to take care of everything.

For the most part, yeah. And, I don't know how much you will be wandering around alone, especially outside of the compound where you are staying, but I suspect it won't be much. They simply aren't going to just let you loose.

I wouldn't worry too much, they see you with pockets full of cigars and they know why you're there. Once the guys who did the hand search of the bags right before boarding opened my backpack and saw three boxes of cigars and all the cigars in my traveldor, they basically stopped looking.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a dream trip. I will look forward to you going and me living vicariously.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
thechrisdotcom

Great info guys. Thanks!

I'm assuming there will be other people on this trip as well. I don't think they would just be hosting for 2 or 4 people at a time.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Wow very jealous of you! Have a great time!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
And yeah, absolutely, you're gonna get babysat from the word go. You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it a bit.
They run scams in every single tourist destination, most straight through the cops. It's been happening forever. My FIL just told a story about getting shook down by Mexican border cops for $250 between him and his 4 buds, and that was 50 years ago. The cab driver told the border guard that they cut the seats in his car which was patently and obviously untrue (the seats looked like they were wore out 20 years before they got in there.)
But they had to pay the money. Fortunately they scratched up enough to get shook loose.
You'll be isolated from any of that crap. Still, read up.
I'm headed to Belize in January and I'm reading two books to get ready for the trip. They outline all the kind of stuff to avoid, look out for, and what to avoid. Even if you're being babysat, it's no reason to not do your homework. Doing your homework would probably set your wife at ease, too. She won't think she's sending a blockhead to death's door.
Picked Belize I see!!!! You will love it bro
Old 11-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #18
Jonathan Drew
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jonathan
Bolivar
Jonathan Drew is on a distinguished road

Enjoy your trip. TG knows whats up !!!

Best,
JD
Jonathan Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #19
Lanks85
That's a paddlin'

First Name: Steve
Partagas
Lanks85 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a wicked trip! Make sure to post the details and pictures when you get back!
Lanks85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #20
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

keep an eye out for a local with an Iphone. buddy of mine had it stolen while down there recently.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote