Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Phishing bad

Well, it’s almost time for another year to begin, so that will mean a lot of new smokers who are anxious to learn all about our art. Unfortunately, it will also signal a time when the scammers come out of the woodwork. Between the old CS board and here, we’ve probably seen them all. I thought that this might be a good place to enshrine some of the better or even more stupid fishing scams to help the newer members recognize when they should be more cautious.

Sometimes, the fishing is done without knowing that they are violating a lot of social norms. While it may be okay to beg a stick at a lounge (not any that I go to), it is poor form to do so online. There are even tried and true ways that SEEM to not be fishing that usually are and some well-meaning people use the phrasing without understanding the indifference or even hostility that they provoke.

Things like:

I’m new and can only afford a few singles. I so wish that someone would share some good sticks with me so that I don’t waste my money.

I really like cigars and I know that I just joined, but lost my job so will have to give up cigars, I guess.

There is only one crappy place near me to buy cigars and I would travel farther to get good sticks if only I knew which ones were good.

Wow, I hope to be able to afford a cigar like that some day.

And some of us remember the scammer who, perhaps way back at CS, posted about a fire at their place and so they not only lost all the cigars but also the Xmas presents and regular clothes for the kids. Took some here in law enforcement to reveal this scam but by then the person had made off with a lot of donations (clothes, money, cigars) and were never seen again.

We all want to help push new people down the slope and cigar people are nothing if not generous to a fault, but let’s post some of our experiences with scammers in order to help others to be aware and also to help new members avoid coming across as scammers.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote