Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
jimdandy
Eat, Sleep, Smoke!

First Name: John
Trading: (5)
RA
jimdandy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice for B&M owners anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in. Please give me a few minutes to look around and than pop in and ask if I need any help or have any questions. If your on my heels following me in and don't give me a few minutes to myself to peruse your selection I am leaving pretty quickly while purchasing nothing and will never be back. There is nothing I hate more than walking into a walk-in and feeling a hole being burned into the back of my head because an employee follows me in and proceeds to watch me like a hawk until I step back out of the humidor. As a customer I am pretty easy to please but if I feel like you can't give me the benefit of the doubt even for a few minutes to not steal something than I do not need to support your business. At least pretend your coming in to move stock around or check a price or something.
Now, in all fairness, just because you are not a "bandit" doesn't mean that the other half of the people who walk in the door wouldn't consider a five finger discount. I agree that I don't appreciate someone breathing down my neck but it may be necessary to maintain an employee presence to prevent theft. Also, especially if you are the only guy in the store at the time, they may just be eager to try and make a sale. Again, I agree that either way they should be tactful about their methods but it seems we too quickly take offense when 80% of the population would at least consider a "freebie" without supervision.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #22
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Don't walk into the humidor eating pizza.

Carry a variety.

Things I have liked - People who let me get in and out of the cigar store. Little chit chat if I don't want it, or a ton if I wanted it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

When describing the flavor of a cigar do not try and compare it to a cuban cigar, or say that it is better than a cuban. Then go on to say I will not be able to tell the difference between said cigar and a specific cuban.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
and make sure that they are fully capable of taking the blame when you put a half smoked stick in a box you are sending to someone.

My biggest issue is: If you are going to own a cigar store, give a damn about cigars and the culture. If you just thought it would be a money making venture or a safe retirement hobby **** off and let someone who is passionate run the place. No I don't want your highest margin stick, no I don't want the hard to find Altidas product the duped you into stocking, I just want good sticks at a fair price. When I ask you if you carry a cigar that has even been highly rated in a publication like Cigar Aficionado, don't look at me like a dumbass, especially if the issue that mentioned it is on the counter next to the register.

I am in real estate and spend most of my day researching...real estate. If I owned a cigar shop I would spend all day, in between customers, researching...cigars.

Shop owners, give a damn. That is my recommendation.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #25
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

A little trust as a customer. New to hobby but if your standing in the Humidor cause you don't trust me tell me and I'll leave and not come back. If your standing there cause you know I take a lot of time and have questions then I am glad you care so much about me as a customer.
Sometimes after already purchasing I walk into the humidor just browsing sometimes purchasin again but don't expect me to purchase everytime I look at sticks I may be library studying
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #26
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
A little trust as a customer. New to hobby but if your standing in the Humidor cause you don't trust me tell me and I'll leave and not come back.
In today's world. everyone is a suspect if you are not known. It's those idiot thieves you should be angry at, not the b&m's trying to protect what is theirs. I hate that icy stare too but that's life and it's not going to change. I am guilty. If somebody I don't know walks into our humidor, I keep a very close eye on them as does the camera and recorder. If I don't, inevitably, I will find we have missing stock. That's a fact.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #27
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
In today's world. everyone is a suspect if you are not known. It's those idiot thieves you should be angry at, not the b&m's trying to protect what is theirs. I hate that icy stare too but that's life and it's not going to change. I am guilty. If somebody I don't know walks into our humidor, I keep a very close eye on them as does the camera and recorder. If I don't, inevitably, I will find we have missing stock. That's a fact.
this is a shame
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I will agree with Greg. When helping someone new that I haven't seen I wouldn't follow them but I would start a basic conversation. I would casually ask if there is anything they are looking for, what do they enjoy smoking, etc. I wouldn't try to hound them but in return make them feel welcome. It's an easy way to just keep an eye on whats going on.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #29
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Very well stated Jeff..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #30
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I can relate but my issue is not even getting a minute or two to get my bearings on what they have as far as stock before they are literally up my butt. If your keeping an eye on me from afar that's one thing but I just get irked at the very few that are literally on my heels going into the humidor to the point where if I stopped short they would more than likely walk into me. Hasn't happened too many times but it has and the few times it did I never returned even if they carried a good selection of sticks. Hell, I didn't even get that treatment in a certain shop in Cornelius where the staff is known to be very cold.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #31
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg,
people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for
having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank
of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they
gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15
or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the
replay.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #32
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg,
people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for
having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank
of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they
gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15
or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the
replay.
Would love to be a fly on the wall when this plays out. Would be very entertaining. Hey are you getting inside info on some new Ligas coming down the pipe?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #33
msayewich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Hire really hot women. I don't care what they know about cigars.

MCS
^^^ *100

I wish we up in Canada can still walk into the humidors and look at the products instead of in books.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #34
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
and make sure that they are fully capable of taking the blame when you put a half smoked stick in a box you are sending to someone.
That there is some funny ****!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, selling a cigar and being decent to people is not rocket surgery.
If a guy can't figure it out on his own, we sure aren't going to teach him anything.
Some tobacconists are willing to listen to their customers because it's obvious to them that it's the key to success. Others just simply don't last long.
Just like online retailers, if the shop sucks for any reason, I take a walk.
I guess I'm saying this thread is a great idea, and a great read, but most likely futile.
I suppose it sure doesn't hurt to try.
Excuse my negativity, this just reminded me of a few really poor experiences and it gave me gas.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #36
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Do not tell me the fuzzy stuff on your cigars is "Bloom" or "Plume". Have a place where customers can smoke without paying a membership fee. Does not have to be big, but for those of us who travel a place to sit and smoke is a nice get away, or sell a day pass.

Oh, and Stop marking up your Opus to 2x msrp and pusing them as to how rare they are. This is not 2003........
Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #37
smelly4tay
S.H.I.T Greenhorn

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
Partagas
smelly4tay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Do not tell me the fuzzy stuff on your cigars is "Bloom" or "Plume". Have a place where customers can smoke without paying a membership fee. Does not have to be big, but for those of us who travel a place to sit and smoke is a nice get away, or sell a day pass.

Oh, and Stop marking up your Opus to 2x msrp and pusing them as to how rare they are. This is not 2003........
this^

Also, know the product very well, take care of said product, and treat customers the first time as if they are going to shop here from now on....

and please don't wave a Montecristo or a Bahia in my face and say it is flying off the shelves, then go apeturd crazy when I say no thanks.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #38
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
rebelknight will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in. Please give me a few minutes to look around and than pop in and ask if I need any help or have any questions. If your on my heels following me in and don't give me a few minutes to myself to peruse your selection I am leaving pretty quickly while purchasing nothing and will never be back. There is nothing I hate more than walking into a walk-in and feeling a hole being burned into the back of my head because an employee follows me in and proceeds to watch me like a hawk until I step back out of the humidor. As a customer I am pretty easy to please but if I feel like you can't give me the benefit of the doubt even for a few minutes to not steal something than I do not need to support your business. At least pretend your coming in to move stock around or check a price or something.
I completely agree. I agree with what other people are saying also though. Some people cannot be trusted and until you get to know who can and who can't unfortunately everyone cannot be. A couple months ago I was accused of stealing from a local B&M and I had two other BOTL with me who were just as shocked as I was to hear these accusations. The truth is I would never have gone back to the place until I found out it was not an employee who approached me but instead just a very confused and lost costumer. I was very insulted by the very idea of him thinking I would try to steal anything. I may not have a lot of money but that is why I only smoke what I can afford. It really is too bad that theft is such a big problem that honest people have to put up with this problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #39
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I agree Dave, but I wouldn't doubt that sometimes that is the case. I mean you would be surprised how little most people that shop at B&M's know about the cigars.

Here's also a prime example of why I don't shop at B&M's.

Camacho liberties 2010 were $25 after taxes at a B&M, on CAYP they are $10. The gouging that is done at B&M's is ridiculous. I cannot afford to pay 2.5X the price just to support a local shop.

Shops should realize they have to be SOMEWHAT competitive.

Also if anyone follows me into the walk in, I'll never buy from them again. Unless I ask "what's new" which I often do.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #40
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

I'd just like to hear more shop employees thank customers for their business. If it wasn't for us, they'd be looking for work. A little appreciation goes a long way.
Closed Thread