Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #21
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #3

Yessir! This weekend sounds great.

I have a Nikon too, however it's just a D50 with the 50mm 1.8 lens, but I'll tease some good shots out of it for my reviews

The pic I took of the sticks when they arrived was just with my iPhone though, lol.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #22
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post

I have a Nikon too, however it's just a D50 with the 50mm 1.8 lens
Nice, mine's the 1.4, but was around the same price because it is the older, automatic version. I almost think I'd rather lose that .4 and be certain that I could focus on stuff better...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #23
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Eagerly awaiting the reviews
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Love to see this thread coming up once again!

I'm looking forward to the reviews.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

James sent in his first review... this is gonna be a good one!
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #26
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

In the middle of my first review...should have this one wrapped up and sent off in about an hour
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #27
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Nice!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

jimmyk26 Cigar #1

Blind Tasting #1

Initial inspection - This corona sized cigar is wrapped in a medium brown wrapper that exhibits a few veins, but none of the veins are significant in size. When I inspect the cigar's construction, I feel that the cigar's wrapper isn't exactly smooth, but it also doesn't show too much tooth. Upon closer inspection, I see that the wrapper has a light oily sheen with a bit of crystallization (likely plume). The touch examination reveals that there are no noticeable soft spots and the triple cap looks well applied. The wrapper offers up almost no aroma, when I pressed my nose for more I did get a faint hint of manure. The foot on the other hand smells of sweet tobacco and graham cracker. The prelight draw is good and leaves hint of rice paper on the palate.

Initial puffs - Right away my palate is lit up with a burnt wood flavor, it also has a long finish of earth/dirt. The smoke is pulling well.

1/3 - After the initial blast of burnt wood, the flavors have settled down a bit and the charred flavor has backed off leaving the wood and earth flavors lingering on the palate. The finish is remarkably long on this cigar. The burn is pretty much even, despite a run away section early in the cigar. The smoke isn't thick, but there is enough of it to coat my palate for tasting. In the later part of this third there emerged a sweet caramel taste that really surprised me.

2/3 - The ash held until the end of the first third and then feel off right into my lap. At the beginning of this second third I noticed that the draw had gotten a bit tighter and there was a bit of tar building up where I cut it, so I clipped a bit more off the end and have since slowed my smoke rate. The cigar has opened right back up. For the flavors, the backbone of wood and earth remain on the for front, while the sweetness has changed into a slight spice that is noticeable through the nose and lingers on the palate. The burn line has also corrected itself. The spice proved to be short lived, eclipsed by a bitter coffee flavor, that doesn't finish as long as the other flavors.

3/3 - Similar to the first third, the ash held well for the second third and then fell into my lap again. At the onset of this final third, the coffee flavors morph into a semi-sweet hazelnut and chocolate. Also, there is still that over arching backbone of wood and earth that has been consistent throughout the cigar. The cigar is still burning and drawing well. Almost as if it is returning the beginning the only flavors left here at the end are wood and earth. And for the finally the burst of burnt wood makes the final bow.

Final thoughts - This cigar was a bit like a train ride. First there is the backbone flavors of wood and earth that were consistent throughout the cigar which would be the train car that I am sitting in. These core flavors carried me along while I got to look out the windows and enjoy the other other flavors as they passed by. Now I use the train analogy because it also helps show that the experience of the other flavors were brief and encompassed by the backbone flavors, like when you look at scenery out of a window. The fact I really experienced the other flavors mostly on the finish and through the nose highlights the passing expereince. I get the feeling that if I wasn't paying close attention and writing this review the scenery might have passed me buy.

Score: 7.5 - Because the journey was interesting, but I would call the cigar more nuanced than complex. It also smoked fairly well.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #29
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Brutus2600 Cigar #1

Here is my review for cigar number one!

Prelight inspection - Nice looking wrapper (even though it's a little loose), very minor veins, nice smooth feel. Looks about 5 1/4" x 40.

Predraw - distinct taste of cinnamon (hadn't experienced that one before!). Slightly tight, but definitely not plugged.

Initial light 8:02 - Toasted the foot with my torch, then lit with a soft flame. My initial light produced a nice amount of smoke, with a slight spice taste and hints of leather. Very smooth, almost creamy smoke. After a couple of draws I tried a retrohale (which usually burns), and this was so smooth I didn't think I was actually getting any of the smoke through. Did it again just to make sure (actually almost 100% retrohale) and no burning, but there was a new flavor there I can't pinpoint. The best I can describe it is that the smell brings to mind being at the pool during summer.

First Third - Having started this cigar with just water, I now have started my coffee and after a sip then a draw there was an initial chocolaty burst. After that the flavor profile has mellowed to almost indistinguishable tastes. The ash had a brownish gray look to it and I was just getting ready to take a picture and the ash dropped right on me. I took this opportunity to purge and the spice that had been waning was brought back out. The burn is even and slow. Got a picture of the little bit of ash I was able to accumulate. Lucky too because just after the pic it fell off again.

Second Third 8:37 - As stated earlier, the cigar has a kind of a loose construction, which is almost surprising considering the borderline tight draw. After the ash fell off I did a little purge and immediately tasted a nutty flavor along with that every present light spice taste. Some caramel notes have started to emerge, at times barely there, but others even becoming the dominant taste. Very glad the cigar has held together even without the band.

Final Third 8:55 - Having been a fairly mild cigar the entire time, the final third is becoming stronger and burning hotter (as should be expected). I'm feeling the nicotine buildup on my tongue now, and a retrohale brings a slight burn that I've come to expect with other cigars (although still not too bad). Having said that, the smoke is still creamy without any bitter notes but as hard as I try, I can't pull out any flavor past "smokey". Not to say it's not an enjoyable cigar still, I'm just having a hard time finding any flavors to write about.

Finish time 9: 20. Final thoughts are, overall mild cigar, slight spiciness throughout most of the cigar, with creamy, plentiful smoke and a consistent burn that didn't need one touch up. Would I purchase this cigar again? Yes, if I was wanting a cigar where I wanted whatever I was drinking to dominate the conversation in my mouth. I felt this cigar was more a compliment to my drink as opposed to my drink being a compliment to my cigar.

Appearance and construction: 1 out of 1.5
Smoke and ash: 1.25 out of 1.5
Burn: 3 out of 3
Overall flavor: 3 out of 4

Total: 8.25 out of 10
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #30
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

What they smoked:

2002 Fonseca Cosaco

jimmyk26 score: 7.5
Brutus2600 score: 8.25

These things were not expensive at all, but man... I dig em.

Nice mellow stick, great thing for the morning w/ coffee.

Here's a hint for you guys, though. When it starts getting that bitter taste near the end, purge it (meaning blow out through the cigar, forcing the air through the lit end). I do this CONSTANTLY while smoking my cigars and it just keeps them good the whole way through.

Another thing is that if I want the cigar to be the main focus (instead of getting lost in the beverage as was described above) I pair with Pellegrino Sparkling Water (something I learned from a really smart guy at Shack last year). Try it if you'd like... it's the perfect compliment to a good cigar.

Great reviews, guys... I really love the detail!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #31
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

One thing that stuck out to me is that we both tasted Carmel notes. That's something I can honestly say I've never tasted so specifically in a cigar.

I never really experienced any bitter notes, but then again I was purging through most of the cigar.

I'll pick up some Pellegrino next time I'm at the grocery store. I did start the cigar off with just water, but I really enjoy coffee as a pairing to most of my cigars. I did cleanse my palate a few times throughout the cigar trying to pin down specific flavors, maybe the Pellegrino will cleanse the palate a little better.

Anyway, looking forward to the next cigar Also, like you said, these are some nice mild sticks that go great with morning coffee. Since they're not too expensive I'll have to look into finding some of these for sure.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #32
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

Cool, my first official Fonseca. I can definitely see having this cigar earlier in the day. As for beverage pairing I drink either water or sparkling water (we don't always have the pellegrino in house but since the wife likes the bubbly we always have something mild and palate cleansing).

Along the lines of purging, do you recommend a torch purge as well? That is where while blowing out of the cigar you hold a torch to the end of the cigar to "clean" out the bitter flavors.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #33
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk26 View Post
Along the lines of purging, do you recommend a torch purge as well? That is where while blowing out of the cigar you hold a torch to the end of the cigar to "clean" out the bitter flavors.
I don't see where that would be any different than a regular purge in terms of effectiveness, it likely just looks cooler, but sure... whatever floats your boat.

Now my question to you two is: is this the oldest habano you have smoked?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #34
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk26 View Post
Cool, my first official Fonseca. I can definitely see having this cigar earlier in the day. As for beverage pairing I drink either water or sparkling water (we don't always have the pellegrino in house but since the wife likes the bubbly we always have something mild and palate cleansing).

Great reviews guys, this is shaping up to the best Newb BTT yet
Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #35
ama
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
ama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
Great reviews guys, this is shaping up to the best Newb BTT yet
ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #36
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
Now my question to you two is: is this the oldest habano you have smoked?
Um...a 2002 Fonseca Cosaco

That was my first. How do you feel knowing you took my habano virginity?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #37
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Um...a 2002 Fonseca Cosaco

That was my first. How do you feel knowing you took my habano virginity?
Awesome!

Don't worry, all the rest are NCs.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #38
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

Yep I am with Brutus, my oldest habano is the 2002 Fonseca Cosaco!
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #39
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
Don't worry, all the rest are NCs.
I have this bridge, you wanna buy it?

weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #40
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
I have this bridge, you wanna buy it?
rofl