Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #21
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Imitation NCs?

I've seen fake Fuentes, Graycliffs, Davidoffs and Padrons in my travels, so they're around. Though the fake Cohibas and Montecristos always outnumber them.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #22
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I found this information on the Altadis Web Site regarding counterfeit cigars:

Industry experts estimate the cigar counterfeiting problem involves the sale of hundreds of millions of dollars of fake and inferior products annually to unsuspecting consumers.

According to attorneys for Altadis, more and more warehouses and backrooms of tobacco retailers in South Florida have become home to tobacco counterfeiters.

The cigar counterfeiting industry has a number of levels. There are the printers of the fake cigar bands and labels that mimic the logo of well-known brands. There are individuals who sell the fake bands, labels and cigar boxes to cigar makers. And then there are cigar makers who market the bogus product. In some cases, there are financiers.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
I found this information on the Altadis Web Site regarding counterfeit cigars:

Industry experts estimate the cigar counterfeiting problem involves the sale of hundreds of millions of dollars of fake and inferior products annually to unsuspecting consumers.

According to attorneys for Altadis, more and more warehouses and backrooms of tobacco retailers in South Florida have become home to tobacco counterfeiters.

The cigar counterfeiting industry has a number of levels. There are the printers of the fake cigar bands and labels that mimic the logo of well-known brands. There are individuals who sell the fake bands, labels and cigar boxes to cigar makers. And then there are cigar makers who market the bogus product. In some cases, there are financiers.
Yes, but these counterfeits are of Cuban cigars, not non-Cuban cigars. Altadis just has the advantage of owning the rights to those brand names in teh United States. Kind of like General Cigar winning court cases over Feauxhiba production, even though they weren't mimicking General's Cohiba.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #24
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

First Name: Michael
RA
Mikepd has disabled reputation

Non-Cuban Cigars are produced with the market in mind for sale is the US. One reason NC cigars are at such a high rate here is because of taxes. Outside of the states if they were to be sold, they wouldn't specifically carry those taxes and thus could be at retail for a much lower rate. Thus i would think if someone wanted to retail them they would probably retail the real thing. Though I would expect if you looked for them in Europe you would be able to find fake NC's but i still would expect the fake CC's to still be more prevalent.
Mikepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Lots of interesting opinions here. I think generally speaking my question was answered. Fake NCs exist out there, and people can be burned by them. However, they are not "common" by any means. Thanks everybody.