Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Do bad initial cigars steer you away from a brand?

So we have all had the experience of having a "bad" sticks from various manufactures....whether it be the tobacco was rolled too tight/loose to enjoy, uneven burns, or horid taste. With that said, do you tend to shy away from brands that you have had bad initial experiences with? I have had a few bad Opus X's...but lucky for me that I had quite a few really really good ones before the bad experience....now I have had 4 different flavors of RP's and my initial response to all was blah...... same thing with Illusion's, had a blah first stick so even though others in the line might look tastier I don't take the chance and buy them..I tend to stick to what I know is good. What about you guys and gals?
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
dubnick

Default Re: Do bad initial cigars steer you away from a br

I had the same thing with 5 Vegas... tried a few more... and now enjoy them occasionally
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I try alot, and I mean alot of different cigars. I will smoke at least two no matter what the first result was. If there are two bad results, I usually do not revisit them. I don't really take into account construction because there are always going to be some that are not up to par. I tend to focus on flavor alone. Everything else I can deal with.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I try alot, and I mean alot of different cigars. I will smoke at least two no matter what the first result was. If there are two bad results, I usually do not revisit them. I don't really take into account construction because there are always going to be some that are not up to par. I tend to focus on flavor alone. Everything else I can deal with.

+1 for me. Unless it's clearly a dog rocket I'll give it a second chance - but usually not more than a second chance 'cause there are way too many others I need to try and not enough time!
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

For only the time being. I had a box of RASS that made me regret trying and buying it. However, after some time I went back and revisited it and found out that I absolutely love the entire marca. This same thing has happened with Monte. Im not a fan of the Petite Edmundo but then I had an 06 Monte 2 and now stock up on that box whenever i see them.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

Bad singles may not steer me away from the brand, but it may make me shy of the particular vitola. There are two resent smokes that come to mind.

1. Vegas Cubanas Generosos
2. Pepin JJ Belicoso

Hard to condemn Pepins, but the VC made me gag, and the JJ was meh. Would I try them again? Probably, but I wouldn't buy them.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

I had that experience with Camacho. I tried several, and hated them all. For a long time I wouldn't smoke anything Camacho. I've since revisited, and found 1 or 2 that I like.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Only two

cc

-
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

I normally will try a new brand (to me) at least twice - we've all had a bum stick now and then. If the second time is the bum stick, but the first was decent, I'll try at least one more. But I won't keep going on, hoping that I'll like the brand eventually.

As someone said above - "Too many cigars - so little time"...

Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

If it's the construction that is poor I'll stay away from the entire brand. If it's the taste that's not to my liking, I'll try others of that brand.

CAO comes to mind as a brand that I like some of but dislike others, however all have good quality construction.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:

Yep, same here.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

On this topic in general, the best advise I ever heard was from Lew Rothman himself. He avers you must remember that cigars are a handmade organic product, and the best cigar you ever smoked may be lying in the same box right beside the worst cigar you ever smoked.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful - or ugly.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Chateau Fuente used to be one of my favorite smokes, but it was a crap shoot if you got a good one, so I stay away from them.
CAO pretty bands don't make good smokes, same thing.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

What #7 said.

Chemyst
Chemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

If it was really really bad I would probably steer away from that smoke in the future. If it was a construction, or just tasted off, I would try it again to give the smoke a fair shot.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
Azpostal
Feeling at Home

First Name: Don
Trading: (9)
Army (Served With Honor)
Azpostal is on a distinguished road

I always give them 2 try's but after that forget it!
Azpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 AM   #17
Cigary

Quote:

Can't argue with this kind of logic. Every once in awhile you will run into a bad cigar no matter what brand. I usually will buy a 5 pak and try at least two of them to see if I like it. If they don't work out for me there are always brothers out there I know that like them and I will pay it forward to them.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #18
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

ill always try one stick fresh and one stick with alot of humi time.. i think theres alot of blends out there that need alot of rest to bring out what theyre capable of... even if im buying just 2 singles.. one goes to the bottom of my humi..
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #19
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

For me first impressions are huge, but I always make an effort to give second chances. This goes for cigars as well as most other things. I try to completely block out any lingering "feelings" towards a brand and try another one. This has paid dividends in the past because some of my favorite smokes were ones that I did not enjoy on the first smoke.

Another thing to keep in mind is sometimes it is the smoker, not the smoke. Depending on what you ate, how you feel, etc. a good smoke can just be bad on a certain day.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #20
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I always give a stick a second change (might have gotten a dud)...exception to this rule is that damn Gorilla Finger by Lars Teten. I will NEVER entertain their product again!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote