Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #21
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gurkha hatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
LMAO
Old 04-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #22
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

I have smoked a few that were passable but not something I'd buy again. What I really dislike about them Is their marketing and how they boast about how great they are. It's just way over the top and that's enough to keep me from buying them. Same thing goes for me with CAO I have had a few I liked but none I'd buy a box of But hey if you like them by all means smoke them and enjoy them.
skullnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #23
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
I have smoked a few that were passable but not something I'd buy again. What I really dislike about them Is their marketing and how they boast about how great they are. It's just way over the top and that's enough to keep me from buying them. Same thing goes for me with CAO I have had a few I liked but none I'd buy a box of But hey if you like them by all means smoke them and enjoy them.

With my budget, I cant justify the cost for the experience I get out of them.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #24
Darrell

I'm bored.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post

I'm bored.
My last Gurkha. Ever.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #26
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Ok
. I've seen it here from a few. A lot of Gurkha hate. Personally I don't get it. I do, however, want to know why.
The answer is pretty simple. Gurkha has a lot of lines, and only one or two are to my likings, the rest are awefull, that's why I hate Gurkha.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #27
Legend

The haters here have only specifically mentioned one cigar. The rest very vague which doesn't give me a why beyond personal preference. Now first of all I am not trying to stir up the pot. And second. I have many cigars that I do not personally prefer. But I still can appreciate the good construction and quality tobacco. I don't just hate on them.

I guess to be more specific. Why the venom? Why hated so much more than "eh not my type"
Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #28
Jimbo14
Habano Man

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Jimbo14 is on a distinguished road

Bobby! Where are you mate??????
Jimbo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #29
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Ok
. I've seen it here from a few. A lot of Gurkha hate. Personally I don't get it. I do, however, want to know why. I won't try to convince anyone or tell them their opinion is wrong. Just want to know why you don't like the whole brand. What you tried etc.

Or conversely what you like if you're a Gurkha ho like me.

Me. I like a med to full flavor smoke. I like that many Gurkha cigars are very unique and not just another same old same old smoke. They are typically very rich in their flavors and usually go very well through the nose (snork). I've tried basically all sizes of.

Grand reserve natural and maduro

Grand age

Master select natural and maduro

Estate selection vintage shaggy

Doble maduro

Centurian XX

Royal brigade

Royal salute

Anniversary natural and maduro

Triple ligureo

Black dragon and dragonfire

Blue steel

Probably more I can't think of
I've tried 3-4 of the different blends and just didn't get that much out of them, especially for the high price.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #30
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

When I first started getting into cigars, before I found places like this, I bought into the catalog hype pumping up Gurkha as the end all-be all of cigars. I had a couple that I enjoyed, but the more I got into the hobby, and the more my taste developed, I became unimpressed with the Gurkhas I tried. There are much better smokes out there for my money. I don't want to pay for all that advertising.

I'm sure there are smokes in the endless stream of blends that I may like, but the price point doesn't make me want to go hunting.

I still want to try a Nepalese Warrior eventually though.

No hate here, just been turned off by the brand in general.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #31
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Most of em i've had I liked. I've had several. For the most part, I don't think they justify the price. I mean... $8 for a robusto? I'm sorry, the Black Dragon is not worth that much dough. The Warlord is a great smoke for $10. The G5, not worth $10.

I would smoke them again and will purchase more when my local B&M has another event but I won't pay MSRP for 'em.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #32
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

I think it goes without saying, i think it's a swell brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post

I'm bored.
it looks like he likes it!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #33
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I guess to be more specific. Why the venom? Why hated so much more than "eh not my type"
I think it's a combination of two factors:

1. Many feel the cigars taste bad (myself included - burnt earth/dirt, not my cup of tea)
2. The descriptions of them being "the Rolls Royce of cigars" , the huge amount of cigar lines, the "most expensive cigar in the world", copying the Cuban RE bands, the CI descriptions, the high prices....but then there are always some to be found at discounted prices, etc. etc. etc.

And I don't think it's hatred, just 'easy/fun to make fun of". It's like if the AMC Pacer marketed itself as the "ultimate driving machine" and came in 500 different variations, but all similarly not so great.

landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #34
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

The best advice on dealing with the devil is.....

don't.

Smoke what you like. Respect others right to do the same.

Re: Gurkha's? Exploration of cigars likes and dislikes is an evolutionary experience. You don't realize what you don't know until you learn more. Many, upon learning more, realize things.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #35
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

My I can spend less on things that I know I like and don't make me want to Oh btw, thanks Don for the sampler that included a Gurkha
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #36
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
When I first started getting into cigars, before I found places like this, I bought into the catalog hype pumping up Gurkha as the end all-be all of cigars. I had a couple that I enjoyed, but the more I got into the hobby, and the more my taste developed, I became unimpressed with the Gurkhas I tried. There are much better smokes out there for my money. I don't want to pay for all that advertising.
No hate here, just been turned off by the brand in general.
My sentiments exactly. I loved the Doble Mauro and RP Connie, think I got them in a CI sampler. They were great beginner cigars for me. My tastes have changed from these smokes. For the price, I go for a Pepin, Padron or Fuente that I know will deliver for me. Guess I can't get past those first few to try the rest of the line.

Early on, I smoked some RP vintage. I thought were too harsh for no reason. I would probably enjoy one now, so I should go back and try it. I just know there are cigars that will deliver for me (for the same price or less), and that's what I usually pick up.

For the record, I'm also a CasaMagna "hater". Wasted money on these three times with poor results.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #37
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
The haters here have only specifically mentioned one cigar. The rest very vague which doesn't give me a why beyond personal preference. Now first of all I am not trying to stir up the pot. And second. I have many cigars that I do not personally prefer. But I still can appreciate the good construction and quality tobacco. I don't just hate on them.

With respect for Klugs' manta of "smoke what you like", the OP has asked that we not be so vague...so off the top of my head....

Smoked The Beast....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Titan....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Genghis Khan....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Series 1887 Churchill...tasted like dirt.

Smoked an Ancient Warrior...tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Black Dragon....tasted like dirt.

Smoked a Legend....tasted foul and sour.

Smoked a Regent...again, foul and sour.

Smoked whatever the churchill barberpole version is...tasted like air.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #38
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Smoked dirt... tasted like a Gurkha.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #39
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

And for the record before the question comes....I played football. So yes, I've tasted dirt.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #40
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Doble Maduro -- inconsistent in flavor and construction. First one I smoked was good, the next 3 in a row tasted funny and were rolled poorly.

Nepalese Warrior -- same story. Smoked 1 that was good, and a couple more that tasted completely different from the first one and also burned horribly.

Expedition -- same story. Every cigar tasted different.

Connecticut Reserve -- smoked through a 5 pack, they were OK but I've tasted better mild CT wrap cigars that cost a buck and change.

Centurian -- I actually smoked 3 or 4 of these and liked them. But not enough to get any more.

Do you see a pattern?

Poor consistency in blending
+
Poor consistency in construction
+
Ridiculous amounts of BS and hype
=
I hate Gurkha.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote