Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
smokeyscotch

Default New Year's Champagne/Wine advice

If this has been asked, I am sorry. I have a special date for New Year's Eve. A girl I've been seeing and I are going to eat a nice dinner, watch some fire works and go to a nice spot. We have decided to save our first kiss till the clock strikes Midnight. What Champagne would you recommend? Or, would you go with one of the Sparkling Wines? I know...I know.. I'm a mushy sumbeotch. Just want to have a nice drink for the occasion as I am ignorant in what might taste good.

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Year's Champagne/Wine advice

1: What Champagnes have you had that you did like?
2: Are you sure you like Champagne if you haven't had it?
3: How much you want to spend?
4: How long have you been seeing her?
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
smokeyscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
1: What Champagnes have you had that you did like?
2: Are you sure you like Champagne if you haven't had it?
3: How much you want to spend?
4: How long have you been seeing her?

1. Haven't had that many. I did have Bollinger and Perrier Jouet as gifts. Liked both. No way I could spend that much.

2. I like Champagne, but wouldn't be opposed to something else. We won't drink the whole bottle probably at one time. Thought about some of the miniatures, but didn't know anything about them. Should probably go to the State Store instead of Wally World.

3. Not a lot. I just want something that tastes good. But, don't want to break out anything really cheap either. I'd say no mre than $40.

4. A week.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
ChicagoWhiteSox

http://tv.winelibrary.com/2008/12/19...w-episode-598/

This video should help you a lot.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
smokeyscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Thanks, my friend!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

myself i would prefer a good wine over champagne...but if you must go with champagne, at your price point i would go with a moet white star...decent but not extravagant
Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Inexpensive but very good:
Saint Hilaire Blanc de Blancs
Should be $12-15
If you won't drink it all at once make sure you have a rubber stopper
Old 12-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
krevo
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (3)
krevo is on a distinguished road

For middle of the road, but yet actual "champagne" I usually go for Veuve Cliquot. It can be easily had from 35-50 dollars and is excellent. Same for Piper Heidsieck.

I don't really care for it, but it's usually a special occasion type of item we keep around the house. My fiance absolutely loves it though
krevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

For "Champagne", go for Kirkland/Costco Champagne at around $32. Lot's of non-Champagne Sparkling wines that are good from Roderer Estate, Schaumburg Blanc de Blanc, there a lot good "Cremant" wines from France at that price too.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

If you are not sure she likes champagne, you might consider getting a demi-sec or a rose instead of a brut. They are a bit harder to find unless you go to a decent shop, but they are softer than the bruts, and thus more "drinkable" for the novice.

If you just want to pop a cork, spend 5 bucks on Andre. It may taste like Alka-Seltzer, but boy will it blow off! BOOM!!!
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

For an incredible QPR buy a bottle of Etoile Rose (2002 is the current release), should be in the $35 range and handily beats most French Rose sparklers.

Also look for Chandon Blanc de Noirs, best deal out there and can be had for $13-14, this is an excellent bottle as well.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
For an incredible QPR buy a bottle of Etoile Rose (2002 is the current release), should be in the $35 range and handily beats most French Rose sparklers.

Also look for Chandon Blanc de Noirs, best deal out there and can be had for $13-14, this is an excellent bottle as well.
I like Chandon's Blanc de Blanc but didn't like their Blanc de Noirs. Another good cheap Rose/Blanc de Noirs is the Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs, sub $20.

If you really want to impress her, the Billecart Salmon Rose NV is absolutely stellar, but runs about $100. Billecart's Brut Reserve NV can be had for $40-50 and is also excellent.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
rlmedic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (5)
rlmedic is on a distinguished road

I would do yellow lable Veuve Cliquot for around $35 Its good has a little name appell that I am sure your looking for. Another Idea would to go with a prosecco...its Italian champagne. One I would recomend would be the La Marca Prosecco its around $12 and one of the top 100 wines of 2008 from wine spectator. Good luck!
rlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
smokeyscotch

Thank you all for the loads of info. I will let you know what I get, as well as how it goes.
Looking forward to and wishing you all a Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #15
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by colimo View Post
...but if you must go with champagne, at your price point i would go with a moet white star...decent but not extravagant
My in-laws are Champagne connoisseurs. They drink quite a bit in the $100 to $200 range regularly. However, my FIL is a fan of this particular Champagne, FWIW.

Hope all goes well, Tim!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #16
smokeyscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
My in-laws are Champagne connoisseurs. They drink quite a bit in the $100 to $200 range regularly. However, my FIL is a fan of this particular Champagne, FWIW.

Hope all goes well, Tim!
All went good. Got some New Years sugar. However, I think she mught be stalker material.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyscotch View Post
All went good. Got some New Years sugar. However, I think she mught be stalker material.
Does she look like Glenn Close? Is she paying waaaaay too much attention to your bunny?

If she says, "I wont be IGNORED," head for the hills!