Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Porch Dweller's Wineador Progress

I decided that the heat and humidity here on the Gulf Coast warranted a little more protection for my smokes than just my humidors. As it's a few years before I'll be making the jump to an Aristocrat, I decided on a wineador.

I went with an 18-bottle NewAir. Why not 24? Because with all that extra space I'd be too tempted to fill it up.

I received the fridge a couple of days ago and gave it a wipe-down inside. Then I left the door open and kept a fan blowing into it overnight. In the morning, the "plasticy" smell was gone. I then put some electrical tape over the condensation drain hole as recommended by others here.

I'd ordered 1.5 lbs of HF beads and made a mistake - I should have just put them straight into the wineador along with a hygrometer, left them for a few hours, and seen where I needed to adjust from there. Instead, I partially wet them with some distilled water, let them sit for a bit, then put them in the wineador. They were WAY too saturated; the humidity shot up to 83%. I had to use a blow dryer to get rid of the excess.

I just now got the beads back in the wineador and plugged it in, temperature set at 65*. Cedar drawers have been ordered from cheaphumidors.com. Once I get them I'll post an update. Stay tuned...

Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Porch Dweller's Wineador Progress

looks good so far James....have fun with this project and use it as a learning experience for when you buy the 28-bottle
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
looks good so far James....have fun with this project and use it as a learning experience for when you buy the 28-bottle
Yeah, I'm in denial about the fact that I'm
Old 08-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

its a fun ride

i started small think i wouldn't fill up a 6-bottle, bought a 16-bottle two weeks later, again thinking i wouldn't fill it up....three weeks later i bought the 28-bottle.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
.cigardude.
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Montecristo
.cigardude. is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the build buddy.
.cigardude. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Very cool!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Nice can't wait to see the build
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Nice! You will love it.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
4theLoveofCedar
Burn and Turn

4theLoveofCedar is on a distinguished road

Nice. I grew concerned with the heat in my apartment and got a wine fridge a couple months ago. I actually just stuck my 2 desktop humidors and 3 medium size Tupperwares directly into the fridge. It would definitely be nicer to have the fridge work as a humidor itself, but I was too lazy to try and figure out how to make that happen.
4theLoveofCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theLoveofCedar View Post
Nice. I grew concerned with the heat in my apartment and got a wine fridge a couple months ago. I actually just stuck my 2 desktop humidors and 3 medium size Tupperwares directly into the fridge. It would definitely be nicer to have the fridge work as a humidor itself, but I was too lazy to try and figure out how to make that happen.
It's not very labor intensive and there are quite a few threads on here that lay out the process. For me, I'm making the move to a wineador simply for piece of mind.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Looks awesome, and mighty empty. You're a brave man.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Looks awesome, and mighty empty. You're a brave man.
LOL! I guess I should have noted that once it's ready, it will be filled with my existing stock. I forget that you've got to watch your step around here.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Nice James, I think these are so cool looking as well as functional. I also think it's funny you believe the 16 bottle will prevent you from buying too much......good luck with that.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Nice James, I think these are so cool looking as well as functional. I also think it's funny you believe the 16 bottle will prevent you from buying too much......good luck with that.
LOL! Yeah, space limitations hasn't kept me from buying more cigars than I have space for now, why would it with the wineador?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

Awesome James, looks good! I am finally in the rh adjusting stage waiting on stuff to settle for mine!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #16
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

Nice, James. You're on your way. How're your numbers? If they're bouncing around, get some empty cedar boxes in there to help level her out. Also, you might want to stick a tiny fan in there at some point. Are you having any issues with condensation?

Looking forward to watching your project unfold.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCuts View Post
Nice, James. You're on your way. How're your numbers? If they're bouncing around, get some empty cedar boxes in there to help level her out. Also, you might want to stick a tiny fan in there at some point. Are you having any issues with condensation?

Looking forward to watching your project unfold.
I've got a few empty boxes in there now to help stabilize the RH. The shelves should be here tomorrow so they'll help get me where I need to be.

I plan on having a hygrometer at the top and at the bottom. If I notice a difference of more than two or three in the RH I'm going to look into getting a small computer fan to put in the bottom. My preferred method would be to have it on a timer, running about 10-15 minutes every two hours or so.

No condensation so far.

Here it is with the only empty boxes I had on hand inside it:

RH has been right around 70 for 24 hours. After I get the shelves in it tomorrow I'll give it another 24 hours to see if I need to adjust the beads.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I plan on having a hygrometer at the top and at the bottom. If I notice a difference of more than two or three in the RH I'm going to look into getting a small computer fan to put in the bottom. My preferred method would be to have it on a timer, running about 10-15 minutes every two hours or so.

No condensation so far.
Hi Porch !
I just got a Haier model HVW18 last weekend. I did not want to go to wineador so fast, but it was a display unit and practically free. It is absolutely pristine with excellent seal. But it needed service from apparently running constantly on display. So it appears a thermostat circuit error was it's demise. I cleaned the external heat sinks ( no compressor) and I already had new PC fans on hand to replace the dead ones yesterday.

I could likely have replaced the thermostat control board but instead I just " dumbed it down" .
So I'll be interested in what type of timer you use, so I can run a similar cycle.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
Hi Porch !
I just got a Haier model HVW18 last weekend. I did not want to go to wineador so fast, but it was a display unit and practically free. It is absolutely pristine with excellent seal. But it needed service from apparently running constantly on display. So it appears a thermostat circuit error was it's demise. I cleaned the external heat sinks ( no compressor) and I already had new PC fans on hand to replace the dead ones yesterday.

I could likely have replaced the thermostat control board but instead I just " dumbed it down" .
So I'll be interested in what type of timer you use, so I can run a similar cycle.
I don't have a circuit diagram. But, you may need that circuit board to power the cooling modules.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
ColdCuts
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
ColdCuts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I don't have a circuit diagram. But, you may need that circuit board to power the cooling modules.

I sincerely wish I knew what you guys are talking about. I'm sure I'd have a better job today. Instead, I went to art school. What was I thinking?! Ugh. My old man was right!

This is why I use an Oust fan. It's got an on/off switch, runs on one "D" battery, automatically toggles on/off every now and again, is perfectly silent, and I think I picked it up for $8 about seven or so years ago.

It still works great and keeps my cigars resting comfortably.