Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Doug Giles: Cigars Don't Kill People.....

The other day my wife and I were eating dinner outdoors at our favorite Italian restaurant down on Lincoln Road in South Beach. As usual, we sat down, took in the fabulous Miami weather and commenced to watch the human freak show unfold. If you’ve ever been to Lincoln Road then you know what I’m talkin’ about. It blows away Miami’s Metro Zoo. Hands down. Bar none.
Anyway, while I was taking in the bizzaroland that is SoBe, I began to feel better about my life, that although it has its trials, at least I wasn’t the over-tanned guy who just passed us on a unicycle in Daisy Dukes wearing a white python around his neck and stinking worse than an anchovy’s crotch.

In that moment of solace provided by the evils of schadenfreude, I ordered drinks for my lovely Italian wife and myself and fired up my first cigar for that evening, a Rocky Patel Edge. While I was enjoying the Edge and its full-bodied, spicy aroma and super long finish afforded by its five-year-old blend in a Corojo wrapper, a lesbian sitting at the table next to us started fake coughing at my smoke and flailing her arms like Nell did when she tried to explain the trees.

How did I know it was a lesbian protesting my cigar, you ask? Well, the Justin Bieber haircut and the softball jersey was a hand tip. Plus, she was making out with another chick. Nothing gets past me.

With my Smith shades on and my chair quartering away from her table I pretended not to notice her childish demonstration and then blew out a smoke cloud that darkened what was left of the setting sun. Yes, I don’t believe in being bullied to put out my legal smoke just because she finds it offensive. I’ll put out my smoke when she gets a new doo and quits lip locking Melissa Etheridge in public. Maybe.

Unable to get me to stop wafting billowing clouds of glorious blue smoke, my neighbor went stupid and came over and told me to put it out, with the addendum that what I was doing would give me throat cancer. And I said, “Throat cancer? Honey, I hate to ruin your date night, but oral sex will give you throat cancer, in our day, more readily than my Rocky will.” She looked at me like a calf looks at a new gate then huffed and puffed and moved upwind of our table.

In an eye-opening column, “Is Oral Sex Worse Than Tobacco?! … Say It Ain’t So!” Caroline May points out the following freaky facts surrounding oral sex in a society run amok. Check it out:

American scientists now say that oral cancer caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV) has become more prevalent in the U.S. than oral cancer caused by tobacco.
Maura Gillison, a cancer researcher at Ohio State University told reporters Sunday at an American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) meeting that scientists have found a 225 percent increase in the number of oral cancer cases in the U.S. during the last three decades.

“When you compare people who have an oral infection or not … the single greatest factor is the number of partners on whom the person has performed oral sex,” said Gillison, adding that studies have shown that people who have performed oral sex on more than six partners have an eight times greater risk of developing head or neck cancer than their perhaps less promiscuous peers.

In the last two decades, incidents of oral cancer in the U.S. from HPV have doubled. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that half of all sexually active Americans will get HPV throughout the course of their lifetime.

HPV has gotten attention in recent years for causing cervical cancer in women, with some states mandating and gynecologists recommending Gardasil and Cervarix to their patients as preventative vaccines. With this troubling data, however, researchers are advising boys and men to get vaccinated as well.

Sara Hiom, Cancer Research U.K.’s director of health information, told the Daily Mail that many people infected with HPV do not see symptoms or require treatment. She added that while many may hope to find the silver bullet in mass vaccinations, there is no fail safe.

“While it’s reasonable to assume that HPV vaccination in girls and boys would protect against these cancers, there is as yet no evidence as to whether the current HPV vaccines are effective at preventing them,” Hiom said.

At Sunday’s AAAS meeting Bonnie Halpern-Felsher of the University of California San Francisco recommended that one solution might be to increase awareness and get doctors to discuss risks with their patients.

“Teens really have no idea that oral sex is related to any outcome like STIs (sexually transmitted infections), HPV, chlamydia and so on,” she said.

Finally, given this new empirical data, I wonder if condom companies are going to start placing an “oral sex kills” skull-and-crossbones label on condoms? Do you think D.C. will implement a new “Sin Tax”? Also, will MTV’s new show Skins feature their randy teens going in for radical chemo because of fellatio? I doubt it; it would ruin their narrative. It looks like the sexual revolution is over, folks, and it appears as if everyone has lost. Hmmm. Maybe God had it right after all?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice
Default Re: Doug Giles: Cigars Don't Kill People.....

You sir, are my hero
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I love it brother!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
zappaFREAK
The Black Page

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
zappaFREAK is on a distinguished road

Way to keep 'em at bay!!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
dyieldin
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
dyieldin is on a distinguished road

Thank you for standing your ground.
dyieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Great story Hugh!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Best.Review.Ever.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Hugh

That was the best post I have read in a long time
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 AM   #11
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Awesome, Hugh!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

great............so how long are you in Miami for?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Seems one must be careful of what one puts in one's mouth!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Very funny! This is what the world is coming to though....
Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
ABNMP619

A TRUE AMERICAN! Thanks for standing your ground Hugh. You are my Hero.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #16
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

"stinking worse than an anchovie's crotch"

I hate to steal other people's material, but will respectfully ask permission to borrow that one.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #17
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

This wasn't me- it was a columnist named Doug Giles. I agree that he is a hero for standing his ground and putting Ms. Busy Body in her place. And also for being a proud cigar smoker!

http://townhall.com/columnists/douggiles/
Old 03-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing Hugh -- and even more -- Thanks for standing your ground!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

That was fantastic, thanks for sharing that with us Hugh.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

If smoking is legal where and while you smoke, don't back down. Thank you!