Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
mpd340

Default Going to ireland at the end of may

Ive been offered an all expense paid trip to Ireland at the end of May. I was just seeing if anybody has any suggestions for places to eat, places to see and things to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to ireland at the end of may

No suggestions, but I'm jealous!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

i have a suggestion

don't go. you really don't wanna go there. mail me all of the tickets for the flight and all the info and i'll dispose of it properly for you.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

I did a week in southern Ireland and did the tour of Kerry. Also stopped into the Jamison Brewery and did the tour and sat down and drank a total of 26 shots of Whiskey on their dime. Did a lot of the touristy things brought my parents over for their 43rd anniversary (mom was from ireland) and missed the location of her hometown. Had a great time just don't do a bus tour with your parents doesn't work out so well. If you go to Dublin definitely go to the Guiness Brewery. The guiness in Ireland tastes nothing like the crap they export. Oh and enjoy the food it's quite good. Have a great trip.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd340 View Post
Ive been offered an all expense paid trip to Ireland at the end of May. I was just seeing if anybody has any suggestions for places to eat, places to see and things to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ireland is a big place, where exactly will you be?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

If in the west, the Cliffs of Moher is a must see. Beautiful views. Also south of Ennis (great little shops and pubs here) is a small dog leg of a town called Newmarket on Fergus where a little B&B/pub called the Hunter's Lodge serves excellet food.

Enjoy your trip. I can't wait to get back.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Hee is what we did, and when I go again I'll do the same. Landed in Dublin, got our rental car, and headed southwest. We had a room booked the night we got there and the night before we left. The rest of the time we ended up where we ended up. Looked like a cool little town, we'd find a bed and breakfast and stay the night. It was freaking awesome. I wish we would have had more time because we didn't get to see Northern Ireland, but truthfully, my wife was a little iffy about going there at the time anyway.

It is a beautiful country with really nice people. You'll have a blast.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

The list is long my friend.

Temple Bar in Dublin is an excellent place to get a feel for bitters and the night life!

If your more in to the countryside, Armagh is where my family hails from.

If you want something more historical you can see the Keshcorran caves near Carrowkeel.

The National Famime Monument features a coffin ship as they were called, is at the base of Croagh Patrick in Murrisk.

Of course everyone wants to see the Blarney stone. Despite many claims of its location, the primary one recognized is Blarney Castle, just outside of Cork and built in to the battlements. Be careful when you lean backwards to kiss it

If literature is your thing, Oscar Wilde's statue is in Merrion Square in Dublin.

The list goes on and on. Feel free to drop me a line, I'll be happy to point you in any direction you please. I'd offer to put you in contact with my relatives as tour guides but the remaining may be moving here due to the currently beyond pathetic Irish economic situation. Can give you their number any way if you like, on off chance they dont move
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

If in Dublin, stop at the Porterhouse Brewing Co. and have a Brainblasta Stout. Or maybe don't, because you will be sad you can't get it outside of Ireland.

The Fogher Cliffs and Valentia Island in County Kerry are beautiful, and the spot where the first transatlanctic cable joined Europe and North America.

The Clffs of Moher are absolutely breathtaking...I smoked a special cigar there.

If you are a golfer, you must play at least one of the links. Ballybunion would be at the top of the list.

My favorite night life was Killarney, true Irish rather that the touristy feel of Dublin. I don't think I saw a single person of Irish blood working in a bar or restaurant in Dublin, it was all Eastern Europeans.

Most of all, have a blast!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

If you're going west, the sights around the Rings of Kerry and Dingle were some of my favorite places in Ireland
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
mpd340

Well it is official just got my flight scheduled. It looks like were going to stay in Dublin a few nights and play the rest by ear.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
sammyboy405
Cigar & Beer Geek

First Name: Sammy
Trading: (3)
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
sammyboy405 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd340 View Post
Well it is official just got my flight scheduled. It looks like were going to stay in Dublin a few nights and play the rest by ear.
So Wish I Had the Cash Id Go with ya. But the Wife said even If I Had the cash she'd have to go too lol
Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
mpd340

Has anyone travelled to Limerick. I want to go there, but anywhere with the nickname "Stab City" is always a little unsettling. Also im looking at buying a train pass so I can get on and off. Does anyone have any experience with the passes?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo View Post
If in the west, the Cliffs of Moher is a must see. Beautiful views. Also south of Ennis (great little shops and pubs here) is a small dog leg of a town called Newmarket on Fergus where a little B&B/pub called the Hunter's Lodge serves excellet food.

Enjoy your trip. I can't wait to get back.
if you go west definitely cliffs of moher and that whole area, connemara is great...

also in that area a town called doolin bay...great pub with traditional irish music and fun..