Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Why so hateful lately?

Is it just me that has noticed this?

While the team of eleven does an awesome job on this site, the majority of which are personal friends of mine, it seems there are folks hell bent on making it tough.

This is a community and I personally view it as family. I have made so many friends throughout the country that I have herfed with thanks to this site. Family should take care of family. Totally sucks when life imitates art and you come here for a retreat and find yourself with similar family bickering we all have in our lives at home.

I recognize this is a forum that often times calls for views and opinions. However, very many times, it frankly doesn't and ones opinion is as welcome as a hole in the head. The trick is knowing when that arises. Am I good at it? I don't think any of us are perfect but we should all keep it in the back of our minds. The trick is to also refrain from offensive adjectives such as "morons", "idiots", "gay", etc.

I can't help but notice so many instances as of late where one person discusses something they like and immediately, without welcome, someone has to make a comment of how crappy it is, how stupid it is, how you are a moron, how you must be a blind follower of a cult and on and on. Tastes vary. Budgets vary. What makes me release serotonin differs from you. If I like a BMW and you like a Yugo, why should I knock your Yugo as a piece of crap, even if it is as has been proven? What you consider fun, someone else might consider boring. I think in those instances, one should take measure to what one says and if you don't like it, don't look at it, or simply state you don't like it. Why name calling? Why bickering? I have enough of that at home and it sucks to come here and find it also.

So.......my message is simple. As I grow older (now 51) than many of the folks on this board and simultaneously wiser, I ask we all make the lives of all on this board a tad easier by thinking twice about comments/opinions that may be offensive. It is not about PC at all. It is about being courteous to someone that will likely make a great person to share a cigar with but instead, you pissed off with poorly selected and poorly thought out verbiage.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why so hateful lately?

Very well said! Some people take everything much too personally and lash out, turning what should be a normal differences of opinion into personal attacks...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Well said Carlos. The old adage about not speaking if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say is even more appropriate for forum posting where intent or "kidding" is not obvious.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

....Nicely put Carlos
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I agree with you Carlos 100%!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Eagle53

"like" button

Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

Total Anonymity = Internet toughguys. I see this everywere I go weather its here, Video game forums, or comments on youtube. Its hard not to notice the general negativity on the internet, And I wonder if some people never heard the phrase "If you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all" thats how I live my life, It was one of the first things I can remember being taught by my parents. /shrug just my

~Kyle
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I completely agree, Carlos. I have been wondering for a bit why this board has slowed down over the last couple of months, some of the longtime members (those who were "established" back in the jungle) have left this board, and just an overall negative vibe being sent by some. I think that is one of the biggest contributing factors to this. I love this place, the TOE, and all of the members here who I interact with and hope to continue to contribute to and interact with those here. I hope that all who read the op will take it to heart and help make an already great community an even better place.

The TOE runs the asylum, but it is also the members who make this place what it is. Some who bring negative vibes do not contribute to keeping this place what it is.

Thanks for the post, Carlos.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

post count fluffing here, but maybe we should change the "I'm with Stupid" to be "I'm with The Above"

Last edited by wolfandwhisky; 06-09-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I like to edit
Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Well said Carlos.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Carlos...I concur brother!!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You, Carlos. I don't really hate you, either. Even if you get that phone before me.
I showed Lisa the video. Another big mistake. You're really not helping me out a bit today, up till now.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I haven't seen that much hate at all, except in any thread having to do with Apple.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

Well here's some love Carlos! (in a strictly platonic non-Fruedian sort of way)
Old 06-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I haven't seen that much hate at all, except in any thread having to do with Apple.

maybe Carlos you are a bit sensitive or you are reading too much into other's comments?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

this topic sucks

in all seriousness, Carlos has a point. There has been some negativity here lately, but I think it's just a phase. Cigar Asylum is hitting puberty. Things will turn positive again soon, there are too many great botl's and sotl's to let the negativity win.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Whynot
Living the dream...

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (11)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
Whynot is on a distinguished road

I find that without the benefit of facial expression, tone of voice, and body language, many things said in jest or sarcasm on the web can be completely misconstrued. The old adage of think twice before you speak should be applied even more strenuously when typing. I am sarcastic as hell in person, but I am generally pretty careful of what I type on forums for the above reasons.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #20
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post

maybe Carlos you are a bit sensitive or you are reading too much into other's comments?
Not sensitive at all when blatant words as I posted are stated, when things are called moron, gay, stupid and so on.
It depends on what thread you open I guess.
Don't want to specifically call any of them out as not the intent of this thread.