Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Vacation In Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I would host a herf/dinner for you two in half a heartbeat Peter.
That said,I am close by so plan to see me/us along the line. We'll make ourselves available.
You beat me to it, Dave, I was going to suggest this as a must do.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #22
mpd340

Checking out Annapolis, MD is a must!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I would host a herf/dinner for you two in half a heartbeat Peter.
That said,I am close by so plan to see me/us along the line. We'll make ourselves available.
I was going to say Dave's is a must-see

Peter, for stuff in DC I think it would help a little if you had certain interests. There's the history, memorial, restaurants, etc. Every person is different in those scenarios.

I think a lot of it depends on what you or the wife are interested in. That being said, do you know what area you are looking to stay at? There are advantages to staying outside and advantages to staying inside the city. Maximizing time doing things versus in the train/car is important. Also helps us pinpoint a good place you can go smoke at
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #24
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

I grew up in D.C. so you are in for a great vacation! There are so many things to do and see in D.C. One of the best parts of visiting DC is that the National attractions (e.g., the Mall (the area where most of the muesems are located), Zoo, White House Tours, etc.) are FREE. Restaurants are fit for foodies, but be fore warned that the food tax is 10%, so with tip expect to add 30% to the cost of a meal. The Hayadams is great, but pricey (I've stayed there and didn't think it was worth the dime (great service though)). Definitly stop by for a happy hour drink or two, if you want be check out the polical power scene. National is a great airport and is connected to the Metro, so you don't really need a car to get around. There is just too much to DC to outline in one post, so I'll pop in and add more comments as your trip gets closer.

P.S. Boo to Icehog's Mayor Berry comment! IL politicians don’t necessarily have the greatest track records either…

Last edited by ade06; 02-19-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Editing is fun.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #25
swh127
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
swh127 is on a distinguished road

Never been here before, but my friends love the all you can eat meat place fugo de chao
swh127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
sammyboy405
Cigar & Beer Geek

First Name: Sammy
Trading: (3)
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
sammyboy405 is on a distinguished road

I Lived in Washington DC for a year when I was in the Air Force. I was Stationed at Bolling AFB. I Enjoyed it.. I didnt have a car there, and i used the Metro all the time. Get the extended passes When i was there they had a week Pass, I think it was 20/30 bucks for a week pass. Tour the Pentagon. Its really neat. The Metro goes right too it. Also if you get a chance Write a Letter to a State Senator telling them you are going to DC and when, and that you'd like to Tour the White House. You have to be recommended by a senator in order to get a tour.

Also The Metro you can get to the Mall (Smithsonian) Also easy access to anywhere as long as you dont mind doing some walking.

I was in the Presidential Honor Guard when I was there. And I was Privileged to see alot of neat stuff. Stay away from the South East Side of DC Over near where Bolling AFB is.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #27
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Changing of the guards at the Arlington Natl Cemetary is worth a visit as well.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #28
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

If you have the time and a car, a ride down 95 to the National Marine Corp museum is pretty cool.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Since you have 8 days, I would recommend making the drive to Baltimore and checking it out for a day.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #30
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Changing of the guards at the Arlington Natl Cemetary is worth a visit as well.
Definitely. One of the best experiences I have ever had. But remember NOT to cross the rail. A lady tried to cross the rail to get to another seat when I was there. The guard was facing away with his back to the lady. Man had eyes in the back of his head. He spun on a dime, changed his rifle from parade rest to ready rest (I think thats how you call it when moved from shoulder to a two handed grip), and with utmost authority said, "Mam, please return behind the guard rail immediately"

Was awe inspiring. And the changing of the guard was even better.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #31
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I may be able to assist with accomodations if you need them.

PM me if I can help.

It's been a while, but when my brother graduated from Annapolis, we spent some time there and I was extremely glad I paid for the tour where you can get on and off all day and see the highlights with someone telling you what you are looking at.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #32
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

if you can get out to dulas and check out the air and space hanger there, it is awesome. Parking sucks @ $15 but the hanger is really cool to see. Don't bother going t the nra museum....it blows goats
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #33
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far. As I said before, there is no way I could do everything I wanted to if I had 8 weeks - let alone 8 days.

Based on these suggestions and those from family and friends outside of CA, we now have much to look into.

Keep the suggestions coming.