Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default "Best Day Ever" and "Dad of the Year" on the same day!

I think as a dad one of the best things I can hear my daughter say is that she "had the best day ever" while we are doing something. Add to that "you are the dad of the year" and wow, be still my heart!

Thursday night I was locking up the house and getting ready for bed while half listening to the news when I heard something that perked my attention. If any of you have watched Sharkmen or Shark Wranglers on the History Channel, you will recognize the name Ocearch. Late last year/early this year they were in the Northeast around Cape Cod tagging Great White sharks. One of these sharks ended up about 200 yards of our beach (just outside of the surf zone actually) a few weeks ago. A lot of people around hear are not really aware that we (fishermen) have actually seen quite a few over the years.

Just off the South Georgia/Northeast Florida coast we have the Northern Wright Whale migration about this time of year, with the females giving birth to thier calves in our warmer and rich water. To a big shark, I'm thinking that is the sound of the dinner bell ringing.

Anyway, on the news they were saying that the Ocearch and her crew were docked downtown at the Riverwalk, and that they we going to be heading out early Saturday morning for a 20 or so day tagging expedition. As many of you have read in my previous posts, Boo loves the marine sciences, and Sharkmen/Shark Wranglers has been one of the shows we have enjoyed together. So Friday afternoon, I was able to get out of an appointment and pick her up early from school and we headed down to the water to just take a look at the boat.

When we got there we saw several members of the crew that we recognized, and saw several people on board that were milling around and socializing. About that time I saw one of the Captains, Jody Whitworth, walking by. I caught his attention and asked if they were doing tours, and he told me that they had been doing tours earlier, but that this was a private event for their sponsor Caterpillar. Boo was obviously disappointed and mentioned that she had been in school earlier. About that time Jody had to excuse himself to attend to a couple of the guests, but asked us to hold on. I could feel Boo perk up a bit, and sure enough, shortly thereafter Capt. Jody motioned us aboard and proceeded to give us a personal tour of the boat, as well as giving Boo a t-shirt! I gotta tell ya, that made Boo's day. He also introduced us to several other members of the crew.

My respect for that man went up even further when after about 20-30 minutes of showing us around the boat, he apologized and told us he had to head out to the airport to pick up some of the science crew that was arriving at 5:00 (it was about 4:50 at that time). Not only did he not have to invite us on-board, but he did so in an extremely gracious manner and gave us a personal, unrushed tour even though there were other things he needed to get done for their departure early the next morning. Props to that man!

OK, so their boat is bigger than mine...I'm alright with that!

Boo with Captain Jody

We actually had to get moving ourselves to meet Holly for dinner at her mom's. I wasn't sure Boo was going to be able to fit in the car she was so pumped and excited. In fact, I really don't think I have ever seen her that excited.

After dinner Boo and I took Holly down to see the boat. As we walked by, one for the crew, Brandon Eyre, saw Boo with her Ocearch shirt and called us over to talk. He is a deckhand and also their research assistant with a degree in marine biology, so it was really cool for Boo to get to talk with him. My wife is a teacher and I think we are going to be able to get field trip together when they come back to port in a few weeks before they head to their next destination.

While we were talking to Brandon, Chris Fischer, the expedition leader, recognized Boo and I from earlier. We passed him a couple of times during the tour and I could tell he was trying to figure out who the heck we were . After he finished talking with the person he was with, he came off the boat and walked over to introduce himself. We ended up talking with him for 30 minutes or so and had a great time.

I can remember growing up and watching Jacques Cousteau with my mom and dad and wishing I could meet him. I am so happy for Boo that she was able to meet some of the people that she has seen on tv (and I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am that it wasn't Justin Bieber or Nikki Minaj or someone similar that she wanted to meet!) and enjoyed. One of the things I have tried really hard with my daughter is to expose her to as many life experiences as possible, without me forcing my likes and enjoyments on her; I have seen too many parents that have tried to live vicariously through their kids lives and I do NOT want to do that myself.

I'm looking forward to their return in a couple weeks. Brandon told us that it would be pretty much the 6 guys who live on the boat full time; the science and production crews would be heading home for a couple of weeks, and that it would be a little bit less crazy and to come back and spend a little more time touring the boat and hopefully hearing some awesome fish stories.

I already have some cigars selected brother!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Best Day Ever" and "Dad of the Year" on the same day!

That is awesome Steve. Certainly doing something right!
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

great story Steve and a big for the Dad of the Year award. Its great to spend a little quality time with her and learning about something she is so passionate about and i am glad y'all were able to experience that together and thank you for sharing
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Life is beautiful!

What a great experience for all of you.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

BTW, we offered to let Boo go with them and show them how it's done (with me as a chaparone of course )

Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Awesome read, Steve, how cool for Boo and you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

How cool was that? Props to you, Steve for making an awesome memory.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Nice job Steve, Chris Fischer is a Uath boy as you can tell from the home port on his boat, used to have a cool fishing show on his boat the "Go Fisch" I think he got his $$$ from his dad who invented the automatic soda dispenser found in every fast food joint, resturaunt and corner market in the country,
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

After watching the news and seeing all the messed up things, families, kids in the the world this was def a refreshing read. Thanks for sharing your day with me Steve certainly is reaffirming!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Cool story, Steve!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome!!!!!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Very cool!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Nice job Steve, Chris Fischer is a Uath boy as you can tell from the home port on his boat, used to have a cool fishing show on his boat the "Go Fisch" I think he got his $$$ from his dad who invented the automatic soda dispenser found in every fast food joint, resturaunt and corner market in the country,
I remember that show. Capt. Brett was his captain back then as well if I remember correctly.

Funny thing was while we were standing on the dock looking at the boat before Jody come up, a lady walking by asked what was going on. She was pretty confused about the boats home port listed as Park City, Utah. Even though I was tempted to explain that they trailered it here from Utah and put it in at the boat ramp across the river , I explained who they were and that Chris was originally from Utah.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Great day for an adventure clearly! Go Steve!

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Now that's way cool.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Awesome story Steve!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Great story! I love watching those guys in action
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Great story , inspiring to hear as a dad.