Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
SUOrangeGuy
Escaped using raincoats

Trading: (24)
Montecristo
SUOrangeGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do you DISLIKE about your Cigar Caddy?

How about a clear panel so you can see the humidity level without opening it?
SUOrangeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #22
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

On my 24 count here's what I did in the lid:
cut out enough foam, not too deep though for my palio, lighter, draw tools, and a small bottle of pectin for repairs. Then I added a small piece of black stretch elastic (crazy glued) to hold each item in place.......works like a charm.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #23
cf2112

I have some spanish cedar trays that were made to fit my 30ct. I keep them in my cabinet humidor and when I use the they hold 65% for a week and work great. I can put 24 cigars, a cutter and if I remove one cigar a lighter.

The gentlemen that made them is no longer a poster, maybe you could make some?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #24
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf2112 View Post
I have some spanish cedar trays that were made to fit my 30ct. I keep them in my cabinet humidor and when I use the they hold 65% for a week and work great. I can put 24 cigars, a cutter and if I remove one cigar a lighter.

The gentlemen that made them is no longer a poster, maybe you could make some?
interesting idea.... I don't have the skills to make em, but a guy I know a few miles from my house is a master crastman, he could certainly do it.

but what about padding? it seems to me that this would create a rather rough environment for the cigars, especially if it was not full...

what about space on the sides of the case where you could insert spanish cedar boards around the foam trays, do you think that would work as well?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #25
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I would have to say nothing. It does exactly what I need it to do, and it holds RH perfectly. I can't think of anything I would want changed on it, unless of cours the automatic refill button was an option.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #26
shvictor
Instigator

First Name: Steve
Trading: (40)
Partagas
shvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the roughshvictor is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by groogs View Post
I would have to say nothing. It does exactly what I need it to do, and it holds RH perfectly. I can't think of anything I would want changed on it, unless of cours the automatic refill button was an option.
Maybe you can go press Al's secret button and see what pops out..
Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #27
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeGuy View Post
How about a clear panel so you can see the humidity level without opening it?
I'd love to do that, but I dont think my manufacturing skills are up to snuff for such an undertaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shvictor View Post
Maybe you can go press Al's secret button and see what pops out..
Grape White Owls
Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #28
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

The biggest complaint I get from people who buy the Cigar Caddy over the Xikar travel humidors is that there is not place to put the Puckifier in the lid foam.

Additionally, I always thought that a cut out to wedge in a lighter, cutter and hygrometer (western caliber III) would be awesome.

I hope this helps

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #29
cf2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
interesting idea.... I don't have the skills to make em, but a guy I know a few miles from my house is a master crastman, he could certainly do it.

but what about padding? it seems to me that this would create a rather rough environment for the cigars, especially if it was not full...

what about space on the sides of the case where you could insert spanish cedar boards around the foam trays, do you think that would work as well?
If I can find my digital camera I'll take some pic and post them this afternoon.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #30
hoyohio
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (1)
QdO
hoyohio is on a distinguished road

Mine does exactly what it is supposed to do -- hold cigars for a limited amount of time. RH should not be an issue unless you are taking this thing on the road for a week or more -- which is really not what it is intended for.

As to a place for accessories? I would never store anything next to my cigars -- especially something filled with lighter fuel. That's why God made pockets...

Last edited by hoyohio; 11-09-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo
hoyohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #31
mojo65
Relocation Engineer

First Name: mark
Trading: (4)
Punch
mojo65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
As for new features, since they all look the same at a herf, a place to slip a business card into would be great.
I dressed my Herf box up with some custom stickers.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00126.jpg (106.9 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00127.jpg (106.1 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by mojo65; 11-16-2008 at 02:18 PM.
mojo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #32
Dogwatch Dale

I'd really like to see a separate compartment for lighter & cutter that's accessible without having to open the entire case. Needs to keep these items away from the cigars and be able to get to them without disturbing the cigars.

The business card slot is a good idea too. My travel cases are all "stickered up" too, so no one will confuse it with theirs, but if I left it somewhere in a fit of drunken stupor it would be nice to have some contact info visible from the outside.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #33
Linus

Since I travel alot, I would love a wider cigar caddy, not fatter. Takes up too much room with it being so big.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #34
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

the problem with storing a lighter in the case is that a number of folks are understandably hesitant to store butane near their cigars. the only solution I can think of for this is to place the lighter inside of a tiny airtight container, and then place that alongside of the cigars. this would keep your cigars safe, but you would still have to open the case to get to the lighter. plenty of space for other accessories like a fullsize 6" draw tool will be included in the same spot.

I like the idea od a buisness card holder or something along those lines so there is a name and phone # on the case if its misplaced. I'll have to see if I can find a stick-on external pouch that would fit the bill.

good ideas guys, keep em coming =).
any other features you'd like to see on a roughly 80 stick capacity traveldor?

LINUS: are you saying that the 4" deep size of the current xikars is too big, or that you would prefer something that stayed in the 4" raange but expanded outwards instead of downwards. (are you interested in a low capacity 20-30 stick model that would look more like a slim laptop case?)
Posted via Mobile Device
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #35
Linus

Ya. The 4" deep size is too big. It'd be nicer if it was closer to the 2" size but wider (so think of say a single layer of 10-15 sticks). When I went to Mexico City earlier this year, I brought some sticks with me just in case I couldn't get a cigar store (not know where I was going to be) but also brought an empty case so I could get some sticks from there. The bulkiness of the deeper caddies makes it annoying when trying to organize a suitcase. If it was, however, wider and flatter, then it's easier to lay clothes on top, etc.

So yes, I'd be very interested in a low capacity 20-30 stick model that was more a slim laptop case sizing.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #36
RonC

I look at the 1 inch thick lid foam as a waste of space. Pull it out, and replace it with a foam cigar tray. A thin piece of foam or bubble wrap on the lid will protect your cigars just fine. The Boveda is also a real space saver. Both of these tips will increase capacity.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #37
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Ya. The 4" deep size is too big. It'd be nicer if it was closer to the 2" size but wider (so think of say a single layer of 10-15 sticks). When I went to Mexico City earlier this year, I brought some sticks with me just in case I couldn't get a cigar store (not know where I was going to be) but also brought an empty case so I could get some sticks from there. The bulkiness of the deeper caddies makes it annoying when trying to organize a suitcase. If it was, however, wider and flatter, then it's easier to lay clothes on top, etc.

So yes, I'd be very interested in a low capacity 20-30 stick model that was more a slim laptop case sizing.
go to ebay and get a deal on a slightly used Pelican or SeaHorse brand Laptop case. Take the foam out, and see my site for foam cigar trays. I have a good amount of customers who have gone this route until Cigar Caddy introduces a laptop case size Cigar Caddy.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #38
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Yup, a place for a cutter and lighter- without taking space away from the 'gars-would be ideal!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #39
RonC

there are plenty of "man Purses" available at leather stores. I have a small leather bag that holds my small Zero Haliburton case. It has zippered compartments to hold lighters and cutter, plus a small can of butane.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #40
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwatch Dale View Post
I'd really like to see a separate compartment for lighter & cutter that's accessible without having to open the entire case. Needs to keep these items away from the cigars and be able to get to them without disturbing the cigars.
I found a case once, only once, that fit that bill... it was a laptop case, with a seperate compartment that you could get out from the outside on the top. big enough for cell phone and keys.

now i wish i could find it again... it was pricy, around $130, made by an Italian design firm.