Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Car Audio Help

I am hoping there are some guys here with knowledge of car subs/amps. Here is my current set up:

2 12" Kenwood 4-Ohm Single-Voice-Coil Subwoofers in a ported box.

My amp is an American Legend 600 watt that my friend gave me for free and I think this is the root of my issue.

About two and half weeks ago I went to Best Buy bought the subs, box, and wiring and had them install everything. System worked great for a week or so then one day I go to get into my car and the subs didn't work, the amp was not getting any power. I took it back to Best Buy the guy looked at it said the amp was dead, fiddled with it and somehow got the amp to work again. System worked great for another week or so until today. Worked fine this morning, went to leave later in the day, no power to the amp again. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue? I checked the fuse on the amp and its not blown.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Car Audio Help

Check all teh connections and if they are good. Chances are there is a short somewhere inside the Amp. It may have been free for a reason.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I would deffinatky check the connections, but chances are it's the amp. AL, I don't know that they are around anymore, I think they may have been obsolved by Legacy or Pyle but either way chances are the amps a few years old and may very well need replacing.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
dubnick

1. Make sure the turn-on (typically blue wire behind radio) is connected well.
2. Make sure subs are wired to the correct impedance (otherwise will put the amp in protection mode)
3. Check ground

When the system doesn't work, are any lights on on the amp?

Any other help needed, feel free to PM me. I was in the business for 5 years before getting into building emergency vehicles.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnick View Post
1. Make sure the turn-on (typically blue wire behind radio) is connected well.
2. Make sure subs are wired to the correct impedance (otherwise will put the amp in protection mode)
3. Check ground

When the system doesn't work, are any lights on on the amp?

Any other help needed, feel free to PM me. I was in the business for 5 years before getting into building emergency vehicles.

No lights on the amp at all when it doesnt work
Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

could be a blown fuse inside the amp. My memphis has ones u can replace on the bottom of the amp.
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Hope you get it fixed - but please don't drive past my place.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswol2 View Post
could be a blown fuse inside the amp. My memphis has ones u can replace on the bottom of the amp.

i checked the fuse on the outside of the amp and it was good
Old 06-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
dubnick

Do you have a test light or multimeter you can use? If you have power, ground, and turn-on signal at the amp and no lights are on, then you more than likely have a bad amp, or blown internal fuse in the amp.

If it is a blown fuse, it's blowing for a reason. I'd still double check how the subs are wired into the amp.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnick View Post
Do you have a test light or multimeter you can use? If you have power, ground, and turn-on signal at the amp and no lights are on, then you more than likely have a bad amp, or blown internal fuse in the amp.

If it is a blown fuse, it's blowing for a reason. I'd still double check how the subs are wired into the amp.

The wiring should be fine, the guy at Best Buy seemed like he knew what he was doing. When I took it back to him the first time the amp went out he said there was power to the amp and somehow got it to work. He said it must have went into some sort of safety mode. I cant figure out how to get it out of that mode.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

is it a 2 channel amp? is it parallel bridged?
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

yea 2 channel. I think its bridged
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

You could have an impedence issue.

Basically with 4-ohm single voice coil speakers, the amp either sees 2-ohm or 8-ohm on a single channel. If that amp isn't stable at 2-ohm in bridged mode then you can have problems like you describe (overheat or shut-down).

I would still be checking that I didn't have bad power or ground wiring.
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

I'd wire up a single sub bridged and see how it runs.. if its fine, then the amp cant handle the load...
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote