Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
kayaker

Default Kettle Corn

I have only had this in the last year or so. Usually at a farmers market in Alberta, but I have found commercially produced bags available as well.

If you haven't had it before, it is popcorn with a light coating of sugar and salt. Not nearly as sticky as caramel corn, but very tasty.

I couple of weeks ago I ordered a 20 pack of microwaveable kettle corn from a kid down the street who is in Beavers. Thought it was great until I found out that the microwaveable stuff is not as good.

Then I decided to see how hard it was to do at home.

I found a recipe and have been tweaking it over a few attempts. Here's what I have found works best so far.

You need:

popping corn
canola oil or similar
granulated white sugar
salt to taste
large pot with cover
oven mitt

Place the pot on medium heat to reduce the risk of burning stuff on the bottom. Add oil once the pot has heated up a little (2-3 tablespoons, enough to give the bottom of the pot a good coating, but not enough so that the popcorn is swimming).

Add three kernels. Remove them when as they pop and after the last one goes add the rest of the popcorn.

Shake pot frequently.

When the first kernels pop add the sugar by sprinkling it evenly over the contents in the pot. Add the cover.

Shake pot constantly while holding the lid on.

When the popping rate starts to slow down remove from heat and keep shaking for another few seconds. Then dump contents into a large bowl.

Add salt to taste.

Let popcorn cool down for a couple of minutes (the sugar is hot).

Enjoy.

Tips
I used 1/8 cup of sugar for 1/2 cup of popping corn and about 2 tablespoons of oil. Adjust your ratios depending on the pot size you use.

Make sure the lid doesn't fit too tightly, otherwise the corn doesn't pop as well. Some steam needs to escape. Use an oven mitt on the hand holding the cover so as to not burn yourself.