Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Greatest single sporting moment of your life.

As the title say, what is your greatest single sporting memory? Sorry Tom you can only pick one of the Blackcawks' championships.

For me hands down, Dave Roberts' steal in Game 4, while everything about that half inning was important, "the steal" is the greatest single moment. While the comebacker and throw to first that clinched the WS was great, as far as nerves, adrenaline, not breathing, just totally being in the moment... it was the steal. The greatest closer of all time on the mound, a catcher more than capable of throwing out runners behind home plate and a guy that we basically got for one reason standing on first to do what we got him for.

Oh and for those that don't know, the RS were 3 outs away from being swept out of the ALCS.

https://youtu.be/NNnqbf2Vpv0

Non- 30 for 30 version of that inning.

https://youtu.be/_9KxHOLQ40A
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Scottastic
ROFLCOPTER

First Name: Scott
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Scottastic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Greatest single sporting moment of your life.

Mine has to be the 2002 NFL AFC championship game. I was lucky enough to have season tickets to the Raiders that year and was sitting at the 30 yard line.

Being there with all those people, celebrating together and watching the fanfare after winning is an experience I will never forget. Which is good, because it's a memory I've had to cling to for a long time as a Raiders fan.

Professional window licker on the short bus.
Scottastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I was doing a hitting seminar for the local kids and was having a hard time getting them focused.
So I told them I'd hit from the left side of the plate, which I'd never done, and I'd put it over the fence. If they'd stfu and learn, they could do the same.
First pitch went over the fence, the other way. I figured I'd pull it if I ever even got ahold of it. I was just funnin' with them.

Complete silence.
I threw the bat on the ground, told them to continue shutting up, and taught a lot of kids how to hit the ball that day.
That was fun.

Second was probably watching Mario toss a puck over the back of the net, off the back of Phil Bourque's head, and into the net for the gws.

I'm funny that I expect big plays from big players at big games.
So I don't get too excited about big plays, not for more than a few minutes.
I'm far more at awe of big careers than big plays.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Boston, June 24th, 2013. 17 seconds, my first time seeing the Blackhawks skate the Stanley Cup live. It was awesome seeing it Monday at home, but I think 2013 is tops. So dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-h46vxck4g

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
badbriar

Mine's not so dramatic... I remember vividly one night in particular when my junior class daughter came home after playing goalie for her HS Lacrosse team with bruises all over her body where there had been no protection. The kid was laughing, joking and celebrating a particularly hard win over their toughest opponent. Found out a little later that she had a broken wrist and a couple of broken fingers. Tougher kid that me!
Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Joel Stransky's drop kick to win the 1995 World Cup (Rugby Union) - Springboks vs All Blacks - in dying seconds - entire Nation went nuts, including the Pres. himself (Mandela).
Was a thing of beauty from 40 yards out.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottastic View Post
Mine has to be the 2002 NFL AFC championship game. I was lucky enough to have season tickets to the Raiders that year and was sitting at the 30 yard line.

Being there with all those people, celebrating together and watching the fanfare after winning is an experience I will never forget. Which is good, because it's a memory I've had to cling to for a long time as a Raiders fan.
As a fellow life long Raiders fan I feel ya' on that one. When I was younger my dad got tickets to the Superbowl in TB from one of the companies he did business with, I got to watch the Raiders absolutely destroy the friggin' Redskins, to this day I still love that Joe T hates the Raiders for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Boston, June 24th, 2013. 17 seconds, my first time seeing the Blackhawks skate the Stanley Cup live. It was awesome seeing it Monday at home, but I think 2013 is tops. So dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-h46vxck4g
Glad you were there and not me, Tom, where as it was a great moment for you, if I was there I would either be dead or getting my daily dose of electroshock right about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Mine's not so dramatic... I remember vividly one night in particular when my junior class daughter came home after playing goalie for her HS Lacrosse team with bruises all over her body where there had been no protection. The kid was laughing, joking and celebrating a particularly hard win over their toughest opponent. Found out a little later that she had a broken wrist and a couple of broken fingers. Tougher kid that me!
Love it man, the world needs more kids that compete and less that learn that all you need to do is participate to get a "trophy". We are raising a generation of "good enoughs" not enough kids who want to strive and win.... but that's a thread for another day.

Neil you lost me at World Cup, seriously you think I'm going to believe that, there is no way for someone to make a cup big enough for the entire world, next you'll be telling me there's a World Sportsbra... sheesh.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with the 1982 NCAA men's basketball championship game. Not only was it a great contest between UNC and Georgetown, it finally gave Dean Smith his first crown in his 7th trip to the Final Four.

As an indication of the way this impacted me, my reaction was more one of stunned silence than joyous celebration. I didn't know what to say, to feel, to even think until the next day, so unreal it felt to me. The following cover of Sports Illustrated (which is framed and hanging above my bed) summed it up perfectly by declaring "Finally, it's Carolina!" . . . in sky-blue letters, of course.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

The Red Sox winning the 2004 World Series for me. Nothing else sticks out quite like that.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #10
heyferg
Feeling at Home

First Name: Larry aka Hollywood
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
heyferg will become famous soon enough

I was at the 1988 World Series. Game 1. Kirk Gibson hit the game winning home run in the bottom of the 9th. Awesome.
heyferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyferg View Post
I was at the 1988 World Series. Game 1. Kirk Gibson hit the game winning home run in the bottom of the 9th. Awesome.
Has he rounded the bases yet?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

My lack of punctuation in my post makes me chuckle. That's right folks, the Red Sox won the World Series for me.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
My lack of punctuation in my post makes me chuckle. That's right folks, the Red Sox won the World Series for me.
I'm more concerned that nothing else sticks out for you.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Miracle on Ice, still.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

The 1986 Masters, The 50th Masters Played. Won By Jack Nicklaus, The Oldest Winner Of The Masters At 46 For His Record Of 6 Master's Victories!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Seeing Red Wings Stanley Cup (not the clinching game) game at the Joe in 1998.

Pistons winning the NBA championship over the Kobe, Shaq, Gary Payton, Karl Malone Lakers
Old 06-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #17
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I'm more concerned that nothing else sticks out for you.
Well I have to admit if they won it for me, nothing else would stick out, although I'm pretty sure they make pills for that so it's all good.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #18
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
The Red Sox winning the 2004 World Series for me. Nothing else sticks out quite like that.
Ok Ken, not to derail this thread too much, but have you ever heard of the "Win It For..." thread?

Here is Sportsguy talking about it, I refuse to call Bill anything else because this is how I knew him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/041027

Here is the thread's creator posting about the thread being accepted to the baseball hall of fame. Jack (the creator is a good friend of mine), I was one of the 3 people that posted for the masses in the thread, I along with a couple others put our email out there and people emailed us their "win it for.." posts and we posted them in the thread for them. I posted right up until the end of the game, once the Red Sox were the Champs it didn't seem worth it to keep posting "win it for...".

Schilling posted in the thread, along with a few other RS players that were board members, btw the board went to hell, the owner got greedy, he put idiots in charge (I'm sure that sounds familiar to a few old CS guys here), told Jack that since he created the thread on his (the owner's) site that the owner owned the thread and all publication rights to it, but I digress that turned into a bitter feud. Anyway, the thread was on the NBC nightly news, ESPN, a bunch of channels reported on it, it was the mojo thread of all mojo threads.

Jack being a smart cookie, printed out the entire thread to have a copy, which was brilliant because a year or so later the idiots in charge had a server crash and lost the entire original thread, they only had part of it archived, so Jack had the original thread and had it spiral bound, he had 10 copies made, 1 went to the Red Sox and they display it in the offices, one went to the Boston Public Library and is on display there, one went to the Baseball H.O.F. and is in their rare books collection, a couple went to his kids and one went to me as I was one of the main posters, I am also the one that posted at the exact moment the Red Sox won the Championship... in extra large bold font of course. ... so they won it for a lot of people.

Below is a picture of the book and of course my last post, at the time I was a big Spike Owen fan, God only knows why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1118.jpg (88.5 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1119.jpg (97.6 KB, 295 views)
Old 06-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #19
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

There are a few for me.
Miracle on ice.
'86 Mets
Giants v Buffalo
And a few more but the number one, Giants screwing up the Patriots perfect season.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #20
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I can't believe nobody has mentioned February 13, 1977. It was a stellar evening for sports fans around the globe. Shortly after a somewhat controversial decision in the LeDoux - Boudreaux heavyweight fight, a bit of a post fight scuffle broke out and Howard Cosell's piece went flying off his head as the cameras rolled.

It was one of those moments you just hope you live to see sometime in your life. Fortunately it was recorded for posterity. Still brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote