Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default RIP Ron Santo

Not a huge baseball fan, but this guy was always a class act.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/r...d-at-70-120310
Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: RIP Ron Santo

Beat me to it Tim.

Sad day for the Cubbies.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I just heard about this on the radio. One of our local radio hosts is from Chicago and grew up a Cubs fan. Sad story. He had great numbers in the time he played, 9-time all star, etc. Poor guy had to retire early (at 34) and ended up losing both his legs to diabetes. It's a shame the hall didn't induct him while he was alive. I guess he missed it by 4 or 5 votes.

Stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...antoro01.shtml

More info..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Santo

Santo was nine-time National League All-Star, and led the league in walks four times, in on base percentage twice and in triples once.[1][7] He hit for a .300 average and hit 30 home runs four times each,[5] and is the only third baseman in major league history to post eight consecutive seasons with 90 (RBI) (1963-1970).[1][7] The winner of five consecutive Gold Glove Awards for fielding excellence (1964-1968),[12] he set or tied National League records by leading the league's third basemen in total chances eight times, in games, putouts and assists seven times each, and in double plays six times;[5][7] from 1966 to 1974 he held the National League record for assists in a single season. He also set National League records for career assists (4,532), total chances (6,777) and double plays (389) at third base, all of which were eventually broken by Mike Schmidt between 1986 and 1988; his National League total of 2,102 games at third base fell 52 short of Eddie Mathews' league record, and he then ranked sixth in National League history in putouts (1,930) and ninth in fielding percentage (.954).

Santo led the league in double plays six times (1961, '64, '66–'68, '71), tying the major league record held by Heinie Groh;[7] Schmidt also later tied this record. He led the National League in total chances every season from 1961 through 1968.[7] He appeared at third base in every Cubs game from April 19, 1964 through May 31, 1966, establishing a league record with 364 consecutive games at the position;[5][7] his 164 games at third base in 1965 remain the major league record.

He was the second player at his position to hit 300 career home runs, joining Eddie Mathews, and also ended his career ranking second to Mathews among third basemen in slugging average (.464) and third in runs batted in (1,331), total bases (3,779) and walks (1,108). Santo broke Mathews' National League record of 369 career double plays at third base in 1972, and in 1973 he broke Mathews' league records of 4,284 assists and 6,606 total chances. Schmidt passed Santo's record for double plays in 1986, his record for assists in 1987, and his mark for total chances in 1988. During his 14-season run with the Cubs, Santo hit 337 home runs, then the eighth most by a National League right-handed hitter; his 1,071 career walks with the Cubs remain the team record for a right-handed hitter. He was the first third baseman to hit 300 home runs and win five Gold Gloves, a feat since matched only by Schmidt.

Santo became the first player in major league history to wear a batting helmet with protective ear flaps, when in 1966, in the midst of trying to break the Cubs' modern consecutive-game hitting streak record of 27 games (set by Hack Wilson in 1929), Santo was sidelined for nearly two weeks following a pitch thrown by the Mets' Jack Fisher (beaning) that fractured his cheekbone and ended his consecutive playing streak. When he returned (and broke the hitting record with a 28-game streak[5]) he was wearing an improvised ear flap on his batting helmet in order to protect the injury; ear flaps have since become standard equipment on batting helmets.

Last edited by 357; 12-03-2010 at 08:26 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

A sad day indeed. Like Mike said, he should have been alive to see his image enshrined in Cooperstown.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

It is a tragedy that he won't be alive for his election to the HOF. Likely they will do it now, because he died. Lotta good that will do him. A great man, and more proof that the HOF voters are turds, by and large.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

RIP Mr. Santo...

In the late 60's while living in Wisconsin, Santo brought alot of joy to me while watching him and Cubs play ball on TV during the weekends. One great ball player

Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
It is a tragedy that he won't be alive for his election to the HOF. Likely they will do it now, because he died. Lotta good that will do him. A great man, and more proof that the HOF voters are turds, by and large.
I agree
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

RIP Ron Santo...baseball lost a good one today.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

He got his Hall of Fame when the Cubs retired his number.

Between him and Jack Brickhouse, summers were always fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbTksNzfZ7w
Old 12-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

RIP. He was one of those who brought joy to listening to games.