Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #541
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Where are you geting SImcoe hops. AHS says there is a worldwide shortage or something......?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #542
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

Brewed an Imperial Stout on St. Patrick's Day. 1.150 going into the fermenter. Second runnings off it resulted in another Imperial Stout at 1.085, but at 5.5gal instead of 5. Wanted to boil longer to get 5 a higher gravity, but oh well. Interesting brewday that went surprisingly well. Big ole starter and O2 injection each day. Hope it ferments well.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #543
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
Where are you geting SImcoe hops. AHS says there is a worldwide shortage or something......?
I've read that they're in short supply because U.S. harvests were down last year. I don't buy in huge bulk, though, so I haven't had any problems getting Simcoe or Amarillo (both whole leaf & pellet.) These either came from my HBS or Midwest Supply. I've had them since December.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #544
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Primary and secondary are finally both empty.
I bottled my RIS yesterday. It started at 1.125 and finished at 1.020 for a whopping 13.83% ABV.
My brewstand should be done this week. I'll post pics before and after powder coating.
After powder is down and baked, I'll just have to plumb it up and do some final wiring.

American Pils will be the test batch on the new rig:

Classic American Pilsner
Type: All Grain
Date: 3/20/2011
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Tim Lael
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: My All Grain
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 64.71 %
2.00 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1.00 lb Rice, Flaked (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1 Pkgs American Lager (White Labs #WLP840) Yeast-
Lager
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.62
Bitterness: 25.0 IBU
Est Color: 3.5 SRM

Notes
Created with BeerSmith

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #545
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I brewed a 3.5 gallon batch of a Bell's Two-Hearted clone yesterday. It was my first all-grain and I used a brew in a bag method on my stove.

Had some trouble with the mash, and hitting the correct gravities, but with the help of a little DME, it ended up pretty close.

It was bubbling away this morning while I was getting ready for work!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #546
b0rderman
Stefan

First Name: Stefan
LGC
b0rderman is on a distinguished road

my first ~all-grain, although just a half batch, and I blew it!

Forgot the flaked wheat on the modified Chimay GR clone! WTF! Anyway, it was only 1/16th of the grain bill, but still...weak move. It was in a separate bag because I didn't run it through the mill at the shop. Went to grab my thief after the cool and there is a brown paper bag sitting there. Oh well, hit 1.070 OG and I don't think I'll mind drinkin it .

I'd like to try a slightly finer mill next time so I can really start settling in to some decent BIAB efficiencies.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #547
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

All grain batches right now:

Kegged: Northern Brown, British pale Ale, Honey Cream Ale. A 2 hearted clone is going down fast. A honey Altbier is about dead and a sangria made with wine we made in 2009 is up next.

Fermenting: Kriek (started last sunday). This will take ~18 months. At least 12 before I add the cherries.

Next: Oatmeal stout, Porter, another Cream Ale, another Kriek, and 10 gallon batches of Jamil's Robust Porter and my ersatz 2 hearted.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #548
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
First dry hop infusion (Simcoe) went in to my Hopslam clone. SG = 1.020, so we're sitting right at 9% alcohol, thanks to the 1.5# of honey I added a few weeks ago. Tasted awesome.

Second dry hop infusion (Amarillo) goes in on Sunday, and I'll let it all sit for about a week until bottling.
Bottled this last night with a bit less priming sugar than I typically use (3.25 oz for 4.5 gallons.) Hoping to get the carbonation right, that should give me 2.2vol CO2. Beer weighed in at 1.020, so it's dead on with the recipe. Tasted pretty good, too

Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #549
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

I bottled my all-grain Centennial Blonde on Friday. I had a few homebrews before starting so I hope I didn't screw anything up. This weekend I will attempt a Blue Moon clone.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #550
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I bottled my all-grain Centennial Blonde on Friday. I had a few homebrews before starting so I hope I didn't screw anything up. This weekend I will attempt a Blue Moon clone.
I think we are going to try a wheat beer this weekend as well. We haven't settled on a recipe yet but I think it will probably a Bavarian style Hefe, fermented warm to get some banana esters (just wanted to use the dancing nanner)
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #551
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

185,000 BTU's of fun on the way to my house right now. Getting 7.5 gallons up to a boil on the stove took me about 2 hours. Hoping to have that down to about 30 minutes.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #552
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

I just purchased a 40 quart stock pot to replace my 32 quart. The 32 quart served it's purpose but it was a little too close for comfort for full boils. Now I need to decide if I want to install a a weldless fitting with valve to drain the wort. I usually rack from the kettle so I leave behind as much cold break and hop particles as possible. The last batch I tried to whirlpool to get all the material to the center of the kettle but it didn't work as well as I wanted. For those of you who have a valve how do you avoid having all the material end up in your primary and what type of fitting do you use inside the kettle?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #553
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I just placed an order with Austin Homebrew for 7 recipe kits.
Sunday is the last day for the $20 Anniversary kits!
Here is what I got:

Wit
ESB
Hefeweizen
IPA
Porter
Stout
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #554
earnold25
Still Watching My Back

Bolivar
earnold25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
I just placed an order with Austin Homebrew for 7 recipe kits.
Sunday is the last day for the $20 Anniversary kits!
Thanks for the link! Just ordered 2. Not sure that I could make 7 in a month.
earnold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #555
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Im hoping they will last me through the summer and I will brewing something special with the Stout & Porter to have for winter time.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #556
earnold25
Still Watching My Back

Bolivar
earnold25 is on a distinguished road

did you get the LME or all wheat?
earnold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #557
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Primary and secondary are finally both empty.
I bottled my RIS yesterday. It started at 1.125 and finished at 1.020 for a whopping 13.83% ABV.
My brewstand should be done this week. I'll post pics before and after powder coating.
After powder is down and baked, I'll just have to plumb it up and do some final wiring.

American Pils will be the test batch on the new rig:

Classic American Pilsner
Type: All Grain
Date: 3/20/2011
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Tim Lael
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: My All Grain
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 64.71 %
2.00 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1.00 lb Rice, Flaked (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1 Pkgs American Lager (White Labs #WLP840) Yeast-
Lager
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.62
Bitterness: 25.0 IBU
Est Color: 3.5 SRM

Notes
Created with BeerSmith
Nice job on your RIS attenuation! Looking at your CAP recipe, where's the 6 row brother? I'd take half of that 2-row and sub 6-row and then sub Pilsner malt for the other half. 6 Row really adds another dimension! Also, I'd save the MO for an English beer. When CAPs were brewed back in the day they didn't have any fancy malts! Also, I like corn a whole hell of a lot; I tried Rice and it's not for me. Just my 2 cents.

Also, if you like noble hops, Perle for bittering and Saaz/Tettnang for flavor/aroma is an awful nice combination If you want super classic pre-prohibition and like cat piss flavor try cluster hops LOL.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #558
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Nice job on your RIS attenuation! Looking at your CAP recipe, where's the 6 row brother? I'd take half of that 2-row and sub 6-row and then sub Pilsner malt for the other half. 6 Row really adds another dimension! Also, I'd save the MO for an English beer. When CAPs were brewed back in the day they didn't have any fancy malts! Also, I like corn a whole hell of a lot; I tried Rice and it's not for me. Just my 2 cents.

Also, if you like noble hops, Perle for bittering and Saaz/Tettnang for flavor/aroma is an awful nice combination If you want super classic pre-prohibition and like cat piss flavor try cluster hops LOL.

Yeah... that great attenuation made a fairly hot beer. We'll see what time does on that.

I will take your advice on the Pils... for the second batch. I wanted to stray just a bit on the first batch since it will be for my BMC friend that helped me build the stand. I want him to see that beer can have flavor and be simple. I think I will go with the Perle, Saaz/Tettnang on both batches though. Nice idea... I'll keep my cascades for IPA and AIPAs. They really don't have a place here. And the corn... I am still 50/50 on that... what do you see as an advantage compared to rice? I do rice 'cause its easy, but I guess corn would be just as if not easier. Do you still cereal mash it?

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #559
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Yeah... that great attenuation made a fairly hot beer. We'll see what time does on that.

I will take your advice on the Pils... for the second batch. I wanted to stray just a bit on the first batch since it will be for my BMC friend that helped me build the stand. I want him to see that beer can have flavor and be simple. I think I will go with the Perle, Saaz/Tettnang on both batches though. Nice idea... I'll keep my cascades for IPA and AIPAs. They really don't have a place here. And the corn... I am still 50/50 on that... what do you see as an advantage compared to rice? I do rice 'cause its easy, but I guess corn would be just as if not easier. Do you still cereal mash it?
To me Rice adds a bit of "insipid" to the flavor profile. I just didn't care for it personally. I used Flaked Maize (Corn) and there is no cereal mash needed. Just through it in with the rest of your malt in the mash! I find corn gives a nice delicate sweetness at about 18% of the grist. Rice is more neutral, but I'm usually not a "neutral" kind of guy
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #560
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
AHA's National Homebrew Competition

If anyone is interested, now is the time to register for this year's contest. More information:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...on-information

The last time I entered was more than 5 years ago, so I decided to submit a few of my recent beers to get some professional feedback and to see how they hold up to others in their style:

Winston's Lot (Imperial IPA)
Trappist Hollow (Belgian Specialty/Trappist Christmas ale)
Essence (Cream Ale)

My son is also entering as primary brewer on CohiBrew (Imperial IPA,) I'll be secondary.

Since a number of folks around CA have sampled these, I'll be sure to post my performance once the scores come back. Unless they suck
Well, got my regional round scores back today. The Imperial IPAs both scored 36/50--which is great especially for my son's first beer--and the Cream Ale 31/50. Judges said that Winston's Lot could have done much better in a different category, but it had lost some of its hop aroma so it didn't fit the style. It got high scores in the "flavor" and "overall" components, though. I didn't have much hope for the Cream Ale, just wanted to see how it did.

The Belgian Specialty ale, however, took First Place in its category and advances to the Nationals final round in San Diego! Not sure how many beers it competed against, but there were over 750 total entries in my region. The judges comments were all very high and extremely positive, so I'm super excited about this. I've given away almost all of this beer since it was my Christmas gift to friends & co-workers, but I fortunately have just enough to enter into finals. It will definitely be an annual tradition around Castle Hollow Brewery

Thought I'd share the good news with my fellow HBOTLs!