Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #1621
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I have been doing a decent amount of smoking on my UDS lately. I have had great results with the hot and fast method over the low and slow. To my tastebuds it's as good or better. And for the amount of time needed, it's a no brainer. Here is a great link for Hot and Fast brisket: http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/0...f-brisket.html

I have used this same method for butts as well as ribs and it all turns out well. Maybe it's the drum and having it really seasoned now, but I doubt I'll ever go back to low and slow. Even the turkey's I have done H&F have turned out better. I did an 11 lb bird spatchcocked with the H&F method and it was done in 3 hrs.

I wanted to add a big THANK YOU once again to Brent for his help and the weber lid for my UDS. It's been working so well, I sold my Brinkmann SnP Pro yesterday.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #1622
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Went to El Supermercado today and had to laugh, I bought two racks of "baby-back ribs" but they were packaged
bone side up, so who knows what they are hiding. I am sure they slipped a knife under the good meat and sold that
as fajitamita. But they had some big drumsticks at a good price so I got the two big racks of ribs for 16 bucks
and a dozen large drumsticks for 6 bucks and some nice meaty beef neckbones for 4 bucks and I guarantee it's
gonna storm here tomorrow, lol. I can't wait to see what those ribs look like on the grill, hell, in the pan waiting for
a rub. Plus a guy at work just paid me 15 bucks to make him a pot of gumbo, lololol. Busy weekend, haha.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #1623
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I hope you get to cook Brad. Looks like some weather around the south this weekend.

Tomorrow is my dad's 85th birthday... well actually he is my stepdad, but my dad died when I was three and he is the only dad I have ever known!! His favorite is prime rib so I have a 14 lber in my super secret prime rib marinade and will be cooking it up tomorrow on the large BGE.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #1624
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Go Gator Go!!! Take pics. We need more food **** here.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #1625
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Go Gator Go!!! Take pics. We need more food **** here.
Thanks brother... I absolutely suck at taking pics when I am cooking, but I will try. This prime rib recipe is the freakin' bomb!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #1626
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

If you care to post your super secret recipe here, I'll promise not to share with anyone.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #1627
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
If you care to post your super secret recipe here, I'll promise not to share with anyone.
OK... ya twisted my arm. First of all a disclaimer. This is not my recipe. It is from the owner/originator of http://www.bbq-brethren.com whom I consider a great friend and an awesome cook. I have used this recipe for several years and IMO it can't be beat.

Here is the stuff:

Marinade Ingredients for each prime rib

1 cup teryaki
½ half cup soy sauce
½ of a small bottle gravy master
½ small bottle kitchen bouquet
3-4 tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning

Pour it all over the roast and rub it in. Marinade as long as possible up to 24 hours

Cooking Instructions:
For the rub, use a heavy hand of Turbinado Sugar and rub it in well and let sit for about 5 minutes, then rub heavily with Montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and around the entire roast. When it’s covered and disolving, then add some more on top and just tap that on so it stays put. Let the roast sit for about half hour, covered. First half hour to 45 minutes I cook in the hotspot or at 375-400 degrees, maybe a little higher. As soon as I put in the meat, damper down to allow temps to drop slowly to 275. When internal is about 90-100 degrees (or about 40 minutes) move it to your normal cooking spot and cook at about 275 till internal is 125.

At this point, either cover it and let it rest, or roll it around over searing coals to make a crust. Bring internal to 130, no higher than 135, then take it off and let it sit, wrapped loosely. Let it rest about 20-30 minutes. Temps climb into the 140s. This will yield rare inside and medium on the outboard slices. If you want to go rarer, take it off at 120 and grill to 130 then cover and rest. Usually, I roll it right over the coals in the firebox as close to the coals as i can get.

BTW... I use this same marinade for tri-tip. I sear it a 750 degrees for 90 seconds, rotate and cook for 90 seconds, flip and cook for 90 seconds and then put it in a 400 degree oven until it reaches 130 internal. It is to die for!!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #1628
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Can't say I've ever heard of gravy master or seen it in stores around here. What's it taste like?

Ok, add this one to the list of items I need to cook up. All this brisket talk has me wanting to do one of those soon. Can't this weekend as I've got ~16lbs of bacon going into the smoker.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #1629
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Nevermind. I just googled it. I"ll have to see if the local stores carry that around me.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #1630
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Gravy Master is in a really small bottle. You can usually find it either in the condiment aisle, the seasoning aisle, or next to the gravy mixes. As far as the taste... I have no clue. I have never actually tasted it. I have used it for years though as a base for beef gravies.

Quote:
Can't say I've ever heard of gravy master or seen it in stores around here. What's it taste like?

Ok, add this one to the list of items I need to cook up. All this brisket talk has me wanting to do one of those soon. Can't this weekend as I've got ~16lbs of bacon going into the smoker.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #1631
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

That recipe does look tasty, I'm very familiar with everything on that list except the gravy master. I'll have to hunt down a bottle next time I'm at Publix.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #1632
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

MAN, did those Babybacks look good. I will post the raw pic with the done pic when things get to that
point. These were LOOoong racks, and super meaty. It left me scratching my head, cause the two racks,
at 6+ pounds total were just 16 bucks. I was thinking rat-racks, but no way. Turns out the weather here was,
SO FAR, not as advertised. I had heard Fri and Sat HEAVY rain, but it was light all day and has mellowed out
here to just a cool wind for now. I figured I had better get to smoking or else. About done on the Cash-gumbo, lol.

Hole carp, THREE sets of Stooges onscreen at once, lol. Never saw this one.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #1633
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

prime rib sounds awesome
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #1634
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

FML.

Damn chorizo does this every freaking time. I keep tweaking the binders, it still keeps falling apart. That stuff is determined to defy me it would seem.

Still going to finish cooking these and bring them down to the herf. Hopefully I won't lose too much cheese in the process.

Yay. Spoon food. *sigh*

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #1635
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I'd still eat it.

But I know what you mean.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #1636
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Damn skippy! I'm still going to eat it. I'm just bringing a stack of corn tortillas for possible fall-back serving method.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #1637
OLS
Suck It

SIGH, I hate night cooks. I completely forgot to take pics on the grill when the food was done.
I got up this am and decided to photograph the food and I just couldn't. It was all cold looking and
not appetizing.
But here is the pic of the SuperMercado ribs. Pretty pretty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbr20113.jpg (60.0 KB, 357 views)
Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #1638
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I love all night cooks!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #1639
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Approx 16lbs of cured pork belly was just loaded about half an hour ago. Trying something different with some of it. Cured with my normal cure, but added smashed garlic cloves and dried thyme. Similar to my guanciale recipe. Smoking with oak this time too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Chainsaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #1640
Mikes
Post Whore

Trading: (0)
Mikes is on a distinguished road

OMG Steve...Hope you had a few friends coming over to help ya eat all of that! Look like packer briskets but I cant tell. Either way, niiiiiiiiiiiice