Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Lianos Dos Palmas

From my blog:

While on a trip to South Carolina, my wife and I spent a day in Charleston. We were with 3 other couples, so I didn’t want to be overzealous in ciagr seeking. I went to a couple shops in the main tourist area and came out with nothing. My wife asked my why and I told here that they didn’t have anything unique. I remembered a small shop that had a sign saying “Handmade Cigars” that was by our parking garage. The restaurant where we were having dinner was close. We got to the restaurant a little early so I decided to walk to the shop which was close. I wlked in and saw that the shop was loaded with cigars that had been rolled right there. I looked around a little and was greeted by a nice young woman. I told her I was looking for a stronger/full bodied cigar. Mariana took an unbanded cigar from a display, clipped it, and put it in my mouth. She then lit it and asked me how I liked it. I told her It was very good and asked her to put together a 15 stick sampler for me. She put 15 cigars in baggies then proceeded to put 2 more in the bag and rang me up for the 15.

I was really enjoying the cigar as I walked back to the restaurant. It reminded me of something I had before but couldn’t place it. It was time for dinner, so I had to put it out earlier than I wanted. After we got back to the house we were staying at, I had a chance to light up another of the cigars from the sampler. Another unbanded 56×6 Toro sized beauty. This cigar was fantastic! Since I had time to relax and enjoy, I was able to pin down which cigar this reminded me of. It is quite like a Fuente Opus-X. Very strong and woodsy flavor with thick & heavy smoke and very long finish.

I have to say, that finding this little shop was a highlight of my trip to South Carolina. If you’re ever in Charleston, lookup the Lianos Dos Palmas cigar shop on Wentworth Street. The outside of the shop isn’t very fancy but the cigars are some of the best I’ve had.

MCS
Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: Lianos Dos Palmas

Yes! I went there in 2006 and had a similar experience. I have heard a lot of rumors as to what leaf is used for the wrapper but your description of the flavor is right on the money. They also have an online store at havacigar, not to be confused with the Cro Magnum place. The prices in the store I believe are less than online. They also have a Nicaraguan blend that is fantastic as well. Scott you stumbled on a well kept secret!

http://www.havacigar.com/
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Going to Charleston in just over a month and was just on the website for this place...now I definitely need to try it out! Thanks!
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Yes! I went there in 2006 and had a similar experience. I have heard a lot of rumors as to what leaf is used for the wrapper but your description of the flavor is right on the money. They also have an online store at havacigar, not to be confused with the Cro Magnum place. The prices in the store I believe are less than online. They also have a Nicaraguan blend that is fantastic as well. Scott you stumbled on a well kept secret!

http://www.havacigar.com/
Known about this shop for the last 6 years. Have half a box of special blended double coronas from my last trip to Charleston a couple years ago. I'd put their product up against any NC out there!

If you go there in person, they will treat you right. Last time there, I smoked a cigar with the owner. He would not let me pay for the one I smoked in his shop, and gave me about a 30% discount off the box I purchased. I'd say you cannot go wrong with their Nic puros.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Smoked another one lat night. These are sooo good. I gotta call them and figure out what I bought!

MCS
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Steelergar

[. This cigar was fantastic! Since I had time to relax and enjoy, I was able to pin down which cigar this reminded me of. It is quite like a Fuente Opus-X. Very strong and woodsy flavor with thick & heavy smoke and very long finish.

I have to say, that finding this little shop was a highlight of my trip to South Carolina. If you’re ever in Charleston, lookup the Lianos Dos Palmas cigar shop on Wentworth Street. The outside of the shop isn’t very fancy but the cigars are some of the best I’ve had.

MCS[/quote]

If it tasted like an opus x its because they get some of the wrappers from dominican republic (from the same fields or close to) as opus x. The guy that used to roll cigars there (dont know if he still does) used to role in the opus x factory. I live in charleston and did a couple review on here. they used to have an arnold blend that they rolled for arnold the governator. didnt see it the last time I was there though.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Tiny Tim

Great shop, great cigars. Try their new Nicaraguan cigar. It's quite good. The owner's name is Scott. He's a big guy. Tell him that Tim in Columbia said hi. He's a long time contributor to our charity cigar event every April. Great guy.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Was able to make a stop by this place during my vacation in Charleston. It is as advertised or better. When I walked in Mariana had just brewed a pot of Cuban coffee and insisted I try it. She poured me a cup then immediately clipped a cigar and handed it to me and told me I had to try it as well. In the shop for 30 seconds and was smoking a great cigar and drinking a great cup of coffee. She would not let me pay for the first cigar and also gave me an "ugly stick" which was a special blend she is working on. Bought a mixed fiver and will definitely be back for more before I have to head back to Minnesota. This place is a great little cigar shop.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
Was able to make a stop by this place during my vacation in Charleston. It is as advertised or better. When I walked in Mariana had just brewed a pot of Cuban coffee and insisted I try it. She poured me a cup then immediately clipped a cigar and handed it to me and told me I had to try it as well. In the shop for 30 seconds and was smoking a great cigar and drinking a great cup of coffee. She would not let me pay for the first cigar and also gave me an "ugly stick" which was a special blend she is working on. Bought a mixed fiver and will definitely be back for more before I have to head back to Minnesota. This place is a great little cigar shop.
Before long, our secret will be out, and we will have to wait in line!!

Seriously, they have their act together!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Before long, our secret will be out, and we will have to wait in line!!

Seriously, they have their act together!
They made a customer for life today.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Tiny Tim

Sounds like our secret is out! Lianos dos Palmas has been a nice shop in Charleston for quite a while. Their new corojo's are really good. Scott, the owner, is rarely there but he's a great guy. His brother in law rolls the cigars and does a great job.

If any of you are in Charleston be sure to go by.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Scott's wife Mariana was in the shop on Sunday when I went in. She had a new blend she was working on and called it an "ugly stick" as she rolled it herself. Smoked it yesterday, it was a winner. She mentioned she was going to send it to her brother to roll some. Going back in on Wednesday for some more cigars, still have one of the corojo and one havanos left.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
Sounds like our secret is out! Lianos dos Palmas has been a nice shop in Charleston for quite a while. Their new corojo's are really good. Scott, the owner, is rarely there but he's a great guy. His brother in law rolls the cigars and does a great job.

If any of you are in Charleston be sure to go by.
True that...