Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default LG -vs- Opus. And the winner is!

MJ came up north with me on Sunday to help me get some work done up ther and to get in some fishing. While we were there, there was some herfing activities, and one of the things we thought we'd try is to do a comparison tasting of an Opus X with a Litto Gomez Diez. Why? Well, they are Dominican puros, including the wrappers. One is a household word, but the other is not, but both are recognized as very good.

MJ and I do not share the same tastes in cigars (or some other things). While we do like some things in common, we also have some things that we do not share agreement upon. We have thought about doing shared reviews, it is something we've discussed. We thought this might be a great idea to start that possible reviewing duo, a joint review of these cigars which share a common national lineage.

Now, to do this correctly, we thought we'd sample them simultaneously and use the old version of the SMOKE review style for our reviewing format. To do it properly, wwe figured we do as a modified puff-puff-pass with these two cigars, sort of sharing them and spending a little bit of time with each as the smoke progressed through the various stages.

We should have probably invoked the camera more often, but hey, we didn't - get over it. Before we go too far though, here are the pictures we did get. These are some shots of the competitors, an Opus Power Ranger and an LG Robusto. We were sipping Eagle Rare and I was also enjoying a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock.

Same thing, only a little different.

So, on to the review. We didn't use the scoring system from SMOKE, just used their topics to guide our comments. So, the points here awarded are simply my opinion - MJ can add his scores later if he so decides. Here is the meaning of those scores: 0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality; 2.1 - 2.9 = fair; 3.0 - 3.5 = good; 3.5 - 4.5 = excellent; 4.6 - 5.0 = superior

First, we did the Aesthetics of the cigar - what was the eye-appeal factor.
Opus Aesthetics: It is our mutually shared opinion that in all cigardom Opus does have the most exquisite band, very regal in apearance. The wrapper is a beautiful Colorado maduro with a triple cap and a slight sheen of oil. But, there was one major vein plainly evident in the wrapper leaf. Also, astoundingly, we could plainly make out the four individual lines from the press and the quarter turn press that a cigar undergoes before the wrapper is applied - two lines were obvious, the other two were visible, but were only noticed after our attention was drawn to look for them. For a $12-$15 cigar, that was a bit more than we thought appropriate. 4.0 (the press marks lowered it quickly)

LG Aesthetics: Another good-looing band, very classy, but doesn't quite live up to the Opus band. Another Colorado maduro wrapper encases this smoke, but it is a bit darker and more oily looking than the Opus. We decided we better look for veins in the wrapper and marks from the press. In our investigation, we discovered that there must have been a serious vein in the binder - it's presence was plainly visible, but it was obvious it wasn't a vein in the wrapper leaf. Also, we did find one press mark, but that took some searching to see. 4.7

Pre-Light Construction: We agreed that both were very well constructed. If any thing, the Opus drew a little looser in the pre-light draw than did the LG and appeared to have a little less heft in the hand. We were surprised to fing that pre-light flavors were amazingly similar, could it be the fact that they were both grown entirely in Dominican soil? 4.8

Opus Post-light Construction: Within the first inch, there were already burn issues appearing, so they were corrected immediately before we got any further. Well, the burn issues returned and were a problem for the length of the stick. Draw was nice throughout, and the slightly flaky greyish white ash held for a good inch and a half+. 3.3 (shouldn't have touch up that often, 3 times during course of smoke)

LG Post-light Construction: There was a slight burn issue after lighting, but it self-corrected in the first inch & a half. A charcoal greyish ash held for a good inch and a half. The tighter draw during pre-light was not a problem in any way, it drew nicely. 4.6

Opus Flavor/Strength: Initially, there were flavors of nut and an earthy sweetness (yeah, I didn't know how else to describe it), with a backdrop of cedar. Cinnamon and pepper were present, but the pepper predominated. The Opus gained in strength as it smoked and some leather and other spice came in and out of the mix as well as the hint of some fruitiness. However, it is like the flavors are muted and not very crips. 4.4 .

LG Flavor/Strength: Initial flavors were lighter than the Opus, but there was definitely hints of molasses and some spice at the outset. The complexity grew in the LG as a citrus tang became noticable and joined the interplay of sweet molasses and spice. 4.8

Opus Aroma: This left a nice room note of sweet cinnamon, but do not snork this cigar, it will leave your eyes watering. 4.3

Combined Aroma commentary: While the LG is easier to snork (exhale from mouth out your nose) the Opus is lighter in a flavor sense. We found this an oddity.

LG Aroma: Here is where the citrus tang really showed through, and where I was first able to identify the sweet flavor as molasses. You can snork this one. 4.7

Opus & LG Overall: MJ noticed a slight through irritation when puffing the Opus. It has some very nice flavors, but the burn issues are seriously off-putting. We both so badly wanted to like the Opus, after all, it is the Opus X and it did have some wonderful flavors. But, it just seemed to fall short, especially side by side.

And here we had to agree, the LG is the cigar we both wanted to have in our hands. The scores above may not show that great of a difference, but side by side it was extremely obvious which cigar we liked better. There were some similarities, but the LG was bolder in flavors while smoother to smoke, and the complexity kept building.

And the winner is: Litto Gomez Robusto

Interestingly, with about 2 inches left to it, the Opus kept going out. So, MJ wouldn't give up the LG. I got frustrated and lit up an Anejo #50. Wow, I do like AF premium lines - quite a bit.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: LG -vs- Opus. And the winner is!

First of great idea and reviews Rev.

Second I believe I've seen that exact Opus X have the exact same problems in another reivew, the poor burning and going out. Such a shame for such a highly regarded cigar.....

I agree the Litto Gomez cigars are pretty damn tasty
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

Nice review. Which had the most nic kick?
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Todd/MJ...LOVE me some Litto Gomez!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Awesome Review. I'm with you where I will choose an Litto Gomez Diez over an Opus but I am a big fan of Littos stuff so I may be biased.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Nice review. Where these both close to the same age? Just curious. Great review rev.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslit View Post
I want to say the LG had the most nic kick, but after having a few drinks and being a boat all day, I honestly couldn't tell if I wasn't buzzed beforehand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
Nice review. Where these both close to the same age? Just curious. Great review rev.
I believe both were the same age.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Both have to much nic for me but I'm getting better at dealing with it...Thanks for the review Todd
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Great review,Great idea. Thanks for the good read. Next time if I have the time to go we can do old palletv.s colege kid pallet v.s fresh new pallet. Maybe next time you could get 6 unbanded cigars to do a trio of a pair of review, but it'd have to some from a source that only knows what he sent..
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslit View Post
You'd have to ask MJ, nic doesn't do anything to me, so I find it hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_B View Post
I am not sure. I know that the LG has a couple years, but as for the Opus, I just got that from Ogre3239.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

By the way. We did like the Opus, just liked the LG better.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
JHawk
Rock Chalker

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
JHawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Awesome Review. I'm with you where I will choose an Litto Gomez Diez over an Opus but I am a big fan of Littos stuff so I may be biased.
I agree!
JHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
Great review,Great idea. Thanks for the good read. Next time if I have the time to go we can do old palletv.s colege kid pallet v.s fresh new pallet. Maybe next time you could get 6 unbanded cigars to do a trio of a pair of review, but it'd have to some from a source that only knows what he sent..
That might be an interesting "game," but the actual thought behind this was something in the works for a while - a Lutheran minister and a Traditional Jew teaming up to do a review. We have bandied about the starting of some sort of way for us to do regular reviews. MJ and I have also talked about doing a side-by-side review of the Opus and an LG before.

So, thanks for the offer, but...

As for doing blind reviews? Been there, done that! It is a great way to review cigars. Indeed, I might, at some point in the future be enticed to do so. But, I don't smoke enough cigars to give up the time to put into a "blind" review. When I have a cigar I pair it with what is going on and what I might be drinking. Smoking cigars blind doesn't allow me to do that. In fact, I have in the past, sat down with a friend and a beverage and a cigar to smoke blind, and gotten thoroughly ticked off. Why? Because I had promised to review the cigar and it didn't pair well, in fact, it sucked (to my palate) and ruined what might have been an enjoyable evening. So, blind reviews probably won't happen.

I could see a blind comparison smoke though, where we know the brands involved, but the two cigars are same size, shape, color wrapper, etc... It would have to be cigars that we want to smoke in comparison to one another.

Corey, when we get together we can do a pass and compare tasting notes on a cigar, but not every cigar I smoke is one I reveiw. Sometimes, usually in fact, I smoke to enjoy myself and smoking to review often gets in the way of enjoyment.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review, all you guys who have bad burning issues with the opus i can take them for you and make sure they get disposed of properly...LOL
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

As far as Dominican Puros go I rank them LG -> La Aurora 100 Anos -> Opus X. Not saying I don't enjoy Opus I just prefer the other two.

Thanks for the reviews and the comparison.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Very interesting reviews. Makes me want to try the LG since I love Opus. Thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysguitar View Post
Very interesting reviews. Makes me want to try the LG since I love Opus. Thanks guys!
Me too, never had an LG. Might have to look into a fiver.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
baddevildog82

Nice review. Opus X do have burn issues often when young. I have found that dry boxing them for a day or two will allow them to burn better. I really like Opus and I like the LG's nearly as much. However, I hate that Opus are so finicky and that they need age or special treatment before performing up to their full potential. That is the biggest reason why I only buy a handful or so each year and I always let them age while smoking my older stash.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Don't know if Opus have burn issues when young or old, but I know that I dry box them for 48 hours before smoking. I have had older ones with burn issues as well as younger ones. I do not have the burn issues with any other Arturo Fuente product - Anejo burn spot on, razor sharp - Hemingways burn even - the new Rosado line burns spot on - but I must admit that I have had issue upon occasion (though rarely) with their regular line.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review Todd. I have found the X to be a good smoke after a couple of years on them. If they are young I have found the flavors to be a little harsh for my taste. Never noted a burn issue with them.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote