Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default LGC Artesanos de Obelisco

Size: 5x57

Wrapper: ecuadorian sumatra
Binder: connecticut
Filler: blend of dominican and double nicaraguan ligero

Construction: beautifully constructed, wrapper is flawless and smooth with just a slight tooth

Prelight: just a light tobacco flavor and a little spice left on the lips

First Third: because of the extremely large foot on this cigar I was sure to toast the foot well before taking a first draw. the reward, first draw is full of pepper and leather, no waiting for the flavor to get going at all

Draw: easy

Burn: good

Ash/Smoke: ash is very white, firm and smoke is plentiful

Second Third: leather and spice with a nutty background, flavor is strong but not harsh at all. very pleasing and enjoyable

Final third: wonderful, leather and nutty with just a little spice on the back end. finish is very pleasant and lingers on

Strength: medium

Flavor: medium

Overall: this is one of the better new cigars I have tried in a while. I will be looking to pick some more up and hope they are all as good as this one.

Scoring

Construction: 10/10
Prelight: 5/5
First Third: 14/15
Draw: 9/10
Burn: 9/10
Ash / Smoke: 9/10
Second Third: 9/10
Final Third: 9/10
Overall impression: 18/20
Total Score: 92/100

hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: LGC Artesanos de Obelisco

Nice review. I have been wondering about these. Very interesting shape.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the nice review. I've had two of these & enjoyed them very much.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
kickerb

that is a an interesting shape, thanks again for the review!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Been curious about these myself...thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Beautiful looking smoke. Thanks for sharing.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

Here's one I'd like to try. I've loved the other vitolas in this blend. Thanks for the review. Nice pics.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

hey guys, I was trolling JRs for interesting packaging, which they often have, just to entertain myself and I saw
this cigar, but they only show the cigar. I wanted to know what the box looked like so I Guugled it and saw not just
the kick-a$$ packaging but the PRICE. I was like "200BUCKS!!" Ouch. But the JR price is $124. If anyone wants
these cigars, it might be a good time to head over there. I am thinking hard about it and I do not smoke NCs.
I DO smoke NC LGC, though, very infrequently. Anyway, thought you should know. Hell, here's the link:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...mcode=LGAO&/LA GLORIA CUBANA ARTESANOS-DE OBELISCO.html

I know Mike's has a good relationship with the Padrons and the people who formerly made these cigars, I thought
their price at 200 was as low as it went. But dang, 124....
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

what was the smoke time for one of these?
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Haha, Ironic I thought I was topping an old thread, this was from yesterday...weird.

Chaching...one box ordered, plus two boxes of their weekly specials for the troops,
those old drew estate Habana Vieja coronas on closeout. Not a true bargain price,
but cheaper than usual, and it'll top off a troops box nicely.

Last edited by OLS; 04-07-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Thanks for the review.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review...I haven't tried the LGC line yet but might have to now...
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
what was the smoke time for one of these?
right about an hour smoking slowly
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Thanks for the review...I haven't tried the LGC line yet but might have to now...
Oh man, they can be some of the best non-cuban cigars. These cigars that JR used to have in a
faux book-style box, Tale of Two Cities.....freaking phenomenal, jammed full of deep, rich coffee
flavors and perfectly blended for mouth feel, not too dry, not too whatever the opposite is. I have
high hopes for these, although I do not think I will smoke many of them, they will end up being gifted
one or two at a time. If they are fantastic, though, that might change.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
OLS
Suck It

Well I smoked one of these tonight. The cigar had only 24 hours to rest in a humidor before I lit it up.
And at first, there was nothing special about it. I clipped a piece of the pointed head off of it that left a draw
hole less than a quarter of an inch, maybe 3/16ths. And the draw was perfect. The cigar featured a wrapper
that had a great deal of oil and tooth, and laid down tight against the bunch of this box-pressed figurado which
tapered up to a 56-7 RG square at the foot. The first half was again, nothing special. Some light coffee and toasted
tobacco, little hints of cinammon. But after the cigar burned down to halfway, it opened up to a startling
amount of complexity and nuance. The taste became much fresher and cool with all of the other flavors still there
right under the surface. As it got near the band it ramped up quickly from medium as it had been throughout, to a
full body, maybe slanting slightly towards medium, but still quite heavy. All in all it was great, quite a surprise to
me given my usual menu, but I DO like the Dominican LGC product, I just don't smoke it much anymore, more like
never. This cigar was bought for a song, just 5 bucks a pop, and it sells at Brick and Mortar stores for much more.
It is not necessarily worth that, but it sure is worth 5 bucks. A fantastic cigar in every facet of the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lgcadobutt.jpg (32.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
OLS
Suck It

Well, I just ordered another box of these. They are not the best cigar I ever had, but they are the best
5 DOLLAR cigar I ever had. I like the LGC blends most of any NC cigar, but my recent experience is
woefully inadequate. That Cruzado Lance sent me was delicious. And tonight, I am going to smoke a KubaKuba,
haha, so what do I know.