Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #461
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yankees vs. Phillies W.S. 2009

AGHHHHH...congrats to the Yankees!!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #462
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
That had to hurt.

Who knows, maybe a subway series next year.....
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #463
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
That had to hurt.
It didn't hurt too bad for me. Can't speak for anyone else.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #464
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:

You are a better man than my brother in law.
He is a die hard Mets fan that can only say the word "Yankees" with some nasty explicative before and after the word.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #465
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Who knows, maybe a subway series next year.....
Okay...."AARPedro" is officially the second funniest statement in this thread.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #466
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

You are a better man than my brother in law.
He is a die hard Mets fan that can only say the word "Yankees" with some nasty explicative before and after the word.
I said it...just didn't type it.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #467
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Before this thread goes stale, let me ask all the Yankee fans: What do you think about them getting rid of the old Yankee Stadium? I think it should be a crime, as WAY too much history was made there. Not knocking the new stadium, but the old one should become an historic landmark IMHO.
I've been thinking about that all day, as we watched "The Pride of the Yankees" in my English class today.

Insert quote here.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #468
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Before this thread goes stale, let me ask all the Yankee fans: What do you think about them getting rid of the old Yankee Stadium? I think it should be a crime, as WAY too much history was made there. Not knocking the new stadium, but the old one should become an historic landmark IMHO.
I've been thinking about that all day, as we watched "The Pride of the Yankees" in my English class today.
I was there this past May.
While it was a thrill to be in the new stadium, as I left, I paused to honor the old one and remember the great times there.
It was tough indeed to wave it goodbye but I truly believe nothing is forever.
Everything must come to an end.

I was recently watching the Jets game and they showed the new stadium. That too brings back memories as a Giants fan.
I watched that stadium built. Lived just a stone throw away down a couple of exits from it on Rt. 3.
That too has come to an end after this year.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #469
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
I loved the old stadium. I have a ton of great memories from that place. But it was uncomfortable, old, and kinda dirty in general (anybody else have fond memories of the bathrooms by the bleachers?). The new place is much more open, much more comfortable, and has tributes to Yankees past all over the place. I was on the fence about the new place, but after a few trips there i've been convinced.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #470
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I was there this past May.
While it was a thrill to be in the new stadium, as I left, I paused to honor the old one and remember the great times there.
It was tough indeed to wave it goodbye but I truly believe nothing is forever.
Everything must come to an end.

I was recently watching the Jets game and they showed the new stadium. That too brings back memories as a Giants fan.
I watched that stadium built. Lived just a stone throw away down a couple of exits from it on Rt. 3.
That too has come to an end after this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
I loved the old stadium. I have a ton of great memories from that place. But it was uncomfortable, old, and kinda dirty in general (anybody else have fond memories of the bathrooms by the bleachers?). The new place is much more open, much more comfortable, and has tributes to Yankees past all over the place. I was on the fence about the new place, but after a few trips there i've been convinced.
I don't mind them moving into a new stadium, but why can't they turn the old one into a museum or something? The Steinbrenners and the city of NY don't seem to give a damn about it, and that's a shame.

Insert quote here.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #471
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
I don't mind them moving into a new stadium, but why can't they turn the old one into a museum or something? The Steinbrenners and the city of NY don't seem to give a damn about it, and that's a shame.
They need the parking. Plus they are making a killing selling off old bricks and seats
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #472
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
I think it needs to go down. It is not the original Stadium from 1923 with the 70's renovation. Also NYC own's the building and I don't think the tax payers need to be covering more of the cost of things down there. They also need to make room for the youth sports fields that the new Stadium took away when built.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #473
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
It is not the original Stadium from 1923 with the 70's renovation. Also NYC own's the building and I don't think the tax payers need to be covering more of the cost of things down there.
That's true. It's the same field, but different stands, facilities, and everything else. They could at least keep the field and tear down the rest. Kinda like they were supposed to do with the old Detroit Stadium. Use the field as part of the youth facility.

Insert quote here.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #474
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

I think it all boils down to money.
While the city owns it, the Yankees could in fact buy it and could have kept it as a shrine.
However, with the price of real estate in NYC, the reality is that land better serves financially for other uses such as parking lot, etc.
To that, add the costs associated with maintaining it long term.

It is a shame and I can see trying to keep it for posterity given the history of this club but I can also see the financial argument and the thought of moving on to a new home, for a new history.

My last memory of the old stadium as I left the new stadium in May.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #475
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Heard a funny quote on talk radio this morning;

"rooting for the Yankees is a bit like rooting for Microsoft."
Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #476
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

repeat WS in 2010....

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...0-fall-classic
Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #477
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

As for the old stadium, there is only one part of it that is original 1923 vintage, and survived the 70's renovation. I believe that is Gate 4 (one of the gates, anyway), and there is a grassroot movement to save it as a monument. The city claims it would be too expensive to do so, while the supporters say it would only cost a million or so. For the Yankees, that is beer money.

I'd like to see that one piece saved, but one can't expect the whole structure to be preserved and maintained in perpetuity.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #478
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
I'd be willing to give 5 to 1 odds on a wager that this WILL NOT be the case next year.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #479
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
I'd be willing to give 5 to 1 odds on a wager that this WILL NOT be the case next year.
Depends what moves each team does over the off season. The Phillies are a real good team, with some help in the pen they'd be even tougher. The Yanks are always a good bet to be there, I could see it happening.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #480
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Heard a funny quote on talk radio this morning;

"rooting for the Yankees is a bit like rooting for Microsoft."
I can remember when that quote ended in "rooting for US Steel". Then it was "rooting for Ma Bell". Then it was "rooting for IBM". Now it's Microsoft.

My point? Plus ca change, but the Yankees just keep moving along. Are they a monopoly? No, but keep in mind that Congress did give MLB an anti-trust exemption, so in effect ALL baseball teams are monopolies.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote