Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #3481
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
The wife is bringing permit applications home tonight. We're thinking about a 12 gauge pump for home defense.
You need a permit for that?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #3482
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
The wife is bringing permit applications home tonight. We're thinking about a 12 gauge pump for home defense.
Permit for a 12 gauge
Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #3483
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Yeah, I know. I just got particularly po'd seeing these clowns advocating and now putting a timeframe on a new ban to take place, so I decided to take action. You always hear it being discussed, but it's a guarantee that if he can't get it through congress, he'll just go the EO route. To go from what was regarded as a tearful speech the day of last week's shooting and then speaking of bans before the funerals is just another knee jerk reaction.
I am not a Constitutional Law expert, but I'm not sure he can actually EO this. However, I'm sure there are other ways of getting it pushed thru.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #3484
PearlS4
Entering the fray

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
PearlS4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
12 gauge pump shotgun is a perfect home defense weapon. Heavy hitting, easy to handle, ammo is plentiful. No home should be without one, in my book it's as essential as a fridge or water heater.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #3485
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Permit for a 12 gauge
FID card; I live in Massachusetts.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #3486
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
FID card; I live in Massachusetts.
Gotcha...according to some place that keeps track of the gun laws in this country, on a scale of 0-100...0 being the most gun friendly...Utah, Arizona and Alaska are 0...for law abiding citizens
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #3487
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Gotcha...according to some place that keeps track of the gun laws in this country, on a scale of 0-100...0 being the most gun friendly...Utah, Arizona and Alaska are 0...for law abiding citizens
Hummm...I wonder if Mike would like a new neighbor?

At one time I thought about moving to Alaska but after my accident in the Keys I don't warm up as quickly as I used too.

I'm not sure where Florida lands on Mikes list, but I have heard us refered to as the Gunshine State.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #3488
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hummm...I wonder if Mike would like a new neighbor?

At one time I thought about moving to Alaska but after my accident in the Keys I don't warm up as quickly as I used too.

I'm not sure where Florida lands on Mikes list, but I have heard us refered to as the Gunshine State.
I think Florida is pretty good Steve. I love Utah's gun laws, and still think that every law abiding, non mentally ill person who can legally and responsibly carry a gun (and actually use it if necessary) should always be armed. I think there are alot of people who carry that don't have the minsdet to actually use it, thinking that just showing someone that they are armed will do the trick, I am sure their headstone will read that.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #3489
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlS4 View Post
12 gauge pump shotgun is a perfect home defense weapon. Heavy hitting, easy to handle, ammo is plentiful. No home should be without one, in my book it's as essential as a fridge or water heater.
When I was still in the Navy, we used them for shipboard defense below decks. You don't want to put a 7.62 or a .45 round through a high pressure oxygen or hydraulic line.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #3490
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
I think Florida is pretty good Steve. I love Utah's gun laws, and still think that every law abiding, non mentally ill person who can legally and responsibly carry a gun (and actually use it if necessary) should always be armed. I think there are alot of people who carry that don't have the minsdet to actually use it, thinking that just showing someone that they are armed will do the trick, I am sure their headstone will read that.
Agreed. Several times the issue of open carry has come up here, but I don't think it will ever pass though. There is a stipulation that you can openly carry on your way fishing or hunting.

Thank goodness for the Ronco Pocket Fisherman

We also have pretty good concealled carry laws and the right to protect yourself, unless this mess with GZ blow that all up. Unfortunatly, Florida has hordes of uneducated people that think Stand Your Ground means someone can hunt someone else down
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #3491
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

We are a big open carry state, we have a few open carry guys who like to try and push the cops into a confrontation so they can get a lawsuit.

Easy enough to get a CCW also.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #3492
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlS4 View Post
Was having that same talk with my dad last night.. It is on the list come the new year.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #3493
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
How could they be more gun friendly than Virginia?

OC no permit needed, CC 'shall issue', but the problem here is the 'gun free' zones like universities.

Here at VT if we have another Cho, I get to point a laser pointer at the shooter, not my Glock. I might buy a mW laser just to have something worth pointing.

A guy in town here decided to bang on the window of his ex-wife's house .. the ex-wife he attacked with a knife 6 years earlier.

This time, new boyfriend had a gun and shot the prick three times. Prick survived and charged with home invasion, shooter no charges.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #3494
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Awesome-someone posted a petition for metal detectors to be installed at schools. Yeah, that would have stopped a kid shooting the glass out of the door for entry. That audible alarm would have turned him around in no time.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #3495
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Awesome-someone posted a petition for metal detectors to be installed at schools. Yeah, that would have stopped a kid shooting the glass out of the door for entry. That audible alarm would have turned him around in no time.
There are a number of articles out there that basically demonstrate that with all the extra security we're simply criminalizing kids petty actions, making school less inviting, and encouraging them to make less productive choices and outcomes in their lives.

On the subject of getting your lower, honestly, I wouldn't sweat it yet. It's not like an AW ban will "sail through" unobstructed. It took em nearly 5 years of slogging and burning political capital to get the last one passed. So if if this one takes a year, prices will go down in march, people will forget, and you can buy what you want, before prices go back up again more permanently.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3496
dijit
Have My Own Room

Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
That just would have brought more targets into the hallway. More adults probably so maybe fewer children would have been killed.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #3497
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
There are a number of articles out there that basically demonstrate that with all the extra security we're simply criminalizing kids petty actions, making school less inviting, and encouraging them to make less productive choices and outcomes in their lives.

On the subject of getting your lower, honestly, I wouldn't sweat it yet. It's not like an AW ban will "sail through" unobstructed. It took em nearly 5 years of slogging and burning political capital to get the last one passed. So if if this one takes a year, prices will go down in march, people will forget, and you can buy what you want, before prices go back up again more permanently.
I have 4 different lowers all from different manufacturers on backorder right now. No local retailer would allow me to backorder, so I bought online with those that would allow me to backorder and will just wait it out. I'm not getting into these bidding wars of paying 3x what they were going for 2 weeks ago. I've gone 38 years without owning an AR-15, so I don't have the desire to pay 2-3x the price overnight. One site said backorder is 8-12 weeks and the order I placed for 30 round mags was about 6 weeks.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #3498
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
That just would have brought more targets into the hallway. More adults probably so maybe fewer children would have been killed.
I'm not an NRA member and have never held a carry permit. But it's painfully obvious to see that more people die when someone is able to open fire in a crowd of unarmed people waiting for the police to respond to all of the 911 calls.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #3499
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Got one of the last on Tuesday.
Armalite AR10 on the way.
Figure with that, I can pop them long before they hit the range for my AR15.
Should be in my hands soon.
Now for the difficult task of finding ammo and extra 20+ mags.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #3500
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

For those not familiar with the AR10 format.
The smaller of these two is the AR15 round (.223/5.56).
The other is the AR10 .308 Winchester NATO.
Will definitely leave a mark.