Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #2921
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
My half-brother visited his grandfather and brought me back this and it's almost a shame because it's a 68' Decanter of 4 roses, apparently it's his old "go to" bourbon. what's sad is i don't drink due to my health.

Be a nice pour to offer any bourbon enthusiast friends who come over, Jason.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #2922
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Be a nice pour to offer any bourbon enthusiast friends who come over, Jason.
Anytime bother. Anytime
Old 11-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #2923
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I cracked the newest Booker's (21-04, Noe Strangers), then had a pour of the previous (21-03, Bardstown). I like both better than any batch since 2019, and give the Strangers the slight edge based on just 1 pour. I'll revisit in a few weeks.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 11-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #2924
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

This this up yesterday...

And these over the weekend...

Old 12-01-2021, 08:56 AM   #2925
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Killed my 2018 Pinhook High Proof, and cracked the 2021.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #2926
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Killed my 2018 Pinhook High Proof, and cracked the 2021.

I have the 2021 coming - should be here on Monday. What are your thoughts Tom?
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #2927
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
I have the 2021 coming - should be here on Monday. What are your thoughts Tom?
Jay, I've liked all the high proof stuff from Pinhook. I did like he 2018 better than the 2021, but the new one is still very tasty.

Cracked the 6 Year War last night. Good flavors but a bit light for my palate. I'll continue to try these every year, but I think the high proof is definitely more my jam. Going to be on the hunt for some high proof store picks next.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #2928
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Nice I ended up with a regular Bohemian and a High Proof Bohemian so a little different once I read the label a little closer but looking forward to seeing the difference side by side.

Just picked up a Blue Note barrel pick from the rick house collapse, initial couple of sips where the largest baking spice/ apple pie / caramel hit I have had from a bourbon. I will be grabbing a few more bottles at ~$40 a piece.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #2929
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Finally killed off my first "real" bottle of bourbon last night, got it when somebody here told me to enter a pappy lottery 5 years ago, brought it home and cracked it as I was walking through the door, my old roommate and I poured some over ice and had a great time. I would have a pour every now and again over the years, then stopped drinking it and put it in the back of the cabinet. That's no way to live, and I'm tired of seeing an almost-empty bottle on the shelf. Peter and I killed it off, he poured a little Weller 12 to drink next to it, it's crazy to think that those are in any way related

Old 12-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #2930
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Great bottle kill, Ben!

Walked into a local smaller store I've been in before but didn't see anything interesting (at a reasonable price, anyway). I was opening the door to leave and he asked what I was looking for. Gave him my standard answer, "Booker's".

He produced a 2018 bottle from behind the counter. Imagine how surprised I was when I asked how much and he quoted me retail. Score! Based on what he had Blanton's, Weller 107 and some others priced at, I was shocked to say the least.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:06 AM   #2931
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone tried the Basil Hayden Toast?

I haven't had any of the Basil Hayden... thinking of snagging a bottle of the toast as well as the original to give them a try.

Any other recommendations for an entry level sipper? I do enjoy Angel's Envy, Eagle Rare, Bulleit.... I don't drink often but want to get more into it. Looking for smoother, since I am a rookie.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #2932
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
Has anyone tried the Basil Hayden Toast?

I haven't had any of the Basil Hayden... thinking of snagging a bottle of the toast as well as the original to give them a try.

Any other recommendations for an entry level sipper? I do enjoy Angel's Envy, Eagle Rare, Bulleit.... I don't drink often but want to get more into it. Looking for smoother, since I am a rookie.
Gary, while I love Beam, I'm not much for Basil Hayden. The regular bourbon is meh for my palate, and the Dark Rye is the worst bottle of whiskey I've ever purchased. Literally poured 90% down the drain.

Smooth entry level? First thought would be Elijah Craig. If available, EH Taylor BiB is another smooth solid choice. Neither as sweet as Angel's Envy or Eagle Rare, but those are both too syrupy sweet for my taste, try Elijah Craig and see if you like smooth with a bit less sweet.

You might also want to try some wheated bourbons, they can be sweet and smooth. Maker's 46, Welller Special Reserve, etc....

Discovering your jam is half the fun!

Old 12-03-2021, 07:54 AM   #2933
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Gary, while I love Beam, I'm not much for Basil Hayden. The regular bourbon is meh for my palate, and the Dark Rye is the worst bottle of whiskey I've ever purchased. Literally poured 90% down the drain.

Smooth entry level? First thought would be Elijah Craig. If available, EH Taylor BiB is another smooth solid choice. Neither as sweet as Angel's Envy or Eagle Rare, but those are both too syrupy sweet for my taste, try Elijah Craig and see if you like smooth with a bit less sweet.

You might also want to try some wheated bourbons, they can be sweet and smooth. Maker's 46, Welller Special Reserve, etc....

Discovering your jam is half the fun!
Elijah is around, I see lots of it, never tried it. Maker's... I know the normal is here, I am sure the 46 is too. Again, never tried Maker's anything...

Thanks for some ideas.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #2934
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Once again I agree with Tom, haven't tried the toast but I probably won't, the regular was a very brief intro bourbon for me until I learned more about proof and more flavorful bourbons. I got the dark rye as a gift from the wife a couple years ago, I'm not sure what to do with it since I can't drain pour it, I've been thinking about making a cocktail that uses a splash of it but it would take a lot of cocktails to get through it.

If you want to stay on the Beam train, I can't recommend Knob Creek loud enough. The regular shelf bottle (should be $30ish), the 12 year (a little harder to find but it's around, probably $50) and store picks ($50-60, usually 9-10 years, higher proof at 120 vs 100 for the others) are all going to treat you really well. I love wheaters myself, if you can't find Weller Special Reserve give the Maker's a shot, 46 is really solid. Also regular Buffalo Trace, store picks can be really great but shelf bottles will get the job done too. It's an exciting time, take brief notes on likes and dislikes as you go and enjoy yourself!
Old 12-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #2935
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

I had the 'regular' knob creek years ago, don't remember being a fan. I believe I have found Weller Special Reserve, I will check out the store on my way home.

Never had any Buffalo Trace as well, but seen and heard good things about it.

I think I am going to go to the liquor store, see what they have in the 50ml size and buy a few to try. They sell them cheaper than any bar will give me shots. Going to do my own whiskey sampling.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #2936
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch

I will kick two more into the to try list if you can find them in a 50 ml try (great idea btw) Old Forester bottled in bond and Wild Turkey 101. Both are easy to find on the shelf and very reasonably priced.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #2937
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
I will kick two more into the to try list if you can find them in a 50 ml try (great idea btw) Old Forester bottled in bond and Wild Turkey 101. Both are easy to find on the shelf and very reasonably priced.
Never heard of the Old Forester before and wild turkey, I only have one memory of that and it isn't good... of course I was just out of high school then.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #2938
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

I'm going to add Evan Williams, Black Label or Bottled in Bond (I prefer Bottled in Bond but it is a little higher proof at 100). This is going to be in the same realm as Elijah Craig, same distillery (Heaven Hill). Old Forester is a good one, they have a few different distinct offerings. I love Wild Turkey 101, it's an interesting one because it's a cheap standard "get you drunk mixer" but also generally considered the best affordable bourbon by experts. There's so much to explore, 50mls are great for trying the stuff that comes in that size, bars help with the rest but also just buying a sh!t load of bottles will get the job done
Old 12-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #2939
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I'm going to add Evan Williams, Black Label or Bottled in Bond (I prefer Bottled in Bond but it is a little higher proof at 100). This is going to be in the same realm as Elijah Craig, same distillery (Heaven Hill). Old Forester is a good one, they have a few different distinct offerings. I love Wild Turkey 101, it's an interesting one because it's a cheap standard "get you drunk mixer" but also generally considered the best affordable bourbon by experts. There's so much to explore, 50mls are great for trying the stuff that comes in that size, bars help with the rest but also just buying a sh!t load of bottles will get the job done

I grabbed a smaller bottle of Elijah Craig and Buffalo Trace. They didn't have much 50ml to test.

Buying a sh!t ton of bottles is a GREAT way to get through this but I don't have a sh!t ton of bottle fund currently.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #2940
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Nice! Let us know your thoughts when you give them a try