Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough
Default Scuba Diving

Any Divers in the Asylum?

Finally got certified a few weeks ago and now I've got the bug

Spending too much time on Craig's list searching for gear so I don't cut too deep into my cigar budget
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scuba Diving

I love diving! I'm in Seattle so our water is quite a bit colder than yours but still great. Best dive trip of my life was in Maui; warm and crystal clear water will make you never want to dip a toe in the Puget Sound again!

I dive a few times a year so I don't own my own gear (other than personal stuff, like mask and fins, etc...). Each time I rent it's about $75-$100, so it would be cheaper to buy my stuff but it's easier this way anyhow.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

It can get expensive. Ive already got a great mask and fins. Not knowing how much longer I have here in Hawaii and where I'll end up next I decided to just pick up used gear. Plenty of it here

Grabbed a decent BCD yesterday and I'm taking a look at a regulator and octo now. It's old but it's also cheap and will hold me over till I can find better stuff.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certified, I just went diving in Belize this past winter.
I'd spend every waking moment on the reefs if I could, I love it.
I think we have an official diving thread here, Chappy. I know Jonathon (Black Coral) makes a living around it and tons of guys here dive. Take a look and see if you can find it.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is.
It'd be nice to get some pics going. I have tons, including video, I'm just too lazy to post the stuff.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

I have been certified and diving as much as I can for the past 7 years. My main diving is in local Texas lakes, which isn't necessarily the most fun, but it is good at keeping the skills fresh. Plus, whenever I get to dive in anything with greater than 25' vis then I am in heaven. I rented gear early on, but soon found myself picking up a used transpac from someone local. I was lucky enough to get a set of regs handed down from my Dad, who also dives and I scored a pair of AL80s on Craigslist for a song.

Having my Dad as a dive partner is excellent, but also having 4 young kids really limits my diving. My most recent trip was a 2 day dive to the Flower Gardens out in the Gulf of Mexico. Fantastic trip with tons of things to see.

To top it off, I toasted each night with a stogie on the top deck of the boat underneath the moon. It was great to lay in a lounge char with the boat rolling on the waves enjoying a stick. In fact, I have found that cigars go great with diving.....typically after a couple of dives when folks are kicking back with a cold one I will fire up something good.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

CONGRATULATIONS Brother!!! I have been diving for just over a year now. I am about to hit 200 dives and just became a PADI Dive Master. It is an awesome sport and just as slippery a slope as cigars.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

Army (Active)

Here are a few pics from my recent dives here in Hawaii

I'm the one at the top of the entrance

And a pic from my dive buddy this past winter

Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

Wow! That is an awesome picture with the whale! Thanks for sharing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

I have been certified for over 10 years, unfortunately I have not gone on any dive trips for probably at least 5 of those, they tend to get expensive. I really want to go diving again soon!

Oh and that pic with the wale is incredible!
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Rob_M
Livin' on Island time

First Name: Rob
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Rob_M is on a distinguished road

I have been working as a technical dive instructor/guide in Truk Lagoon for the past 3 yrs. I also enjoy cave diving when I get the chance to visit home in North Florida.
Here are a couple pics from a wreck we dived today. 40 minutes at a max depth of 187ft. Epic dive on the Aikoku Maru, my favorite wreck.

Me slipping through the wreckage into the engine room.......
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Trading: (11)
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

Been diving for 20 years, I have my own shop called black coral dive. I have travelled the world for years and finally now moved to Orlando to be close to Florida caves and the ocean.
I am an instructor trainer for naui and iantd. Lots of time in the water and enjoy it.

If there is anything I can help a brother out or any questions let me know.

Enjoy the underwater world.
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Rob_M
Livin' on Island time

First Name: Rob
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Rob_M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Coral View Post
Been diving for 20 years, I have my own shop called black coral dive. I have travelled the world for years and finally now moved to Orlando to be close to Florida caves and the ocean.
I am an instructor trainer for naui and iantd. Lots of time in the water and enjoy it.

If there is anything I can help a brother out or any questions let me know.

Enjoy the underwater world.
John, you need to organize a group trip out to Truk for the shop, We can hit the wrecks then have a nice stick to celebrate