Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #2661
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Ditto!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2662
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

anyone out there got a "mare's leg" or "ranch hand"? if so how well do you like it? would a buy another or recommend to a buddy? am considering it as my next purchase

Last edited by SNKBYT; 03-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #2663
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

rite when I came home I had to take it apart and clean it.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #2664
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

Nice Mikey!!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #2665
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Happy Birthday to me

Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #2666
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

Love the PMAGS
Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #2667
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

I can FINALLY post in this thread!

I just bought my first gun, it was a birthday present to myself. After a lot of looking around I settled on a Sig Sauer P250 9MM (full-size). I will post pics once the 48hr waiting period is over and I can pick it up.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #2668
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
I can FINALLY post in this thread!

I just bought my first gun, it was a birthday present to myself. After a lot of looking around I settled on a Sig Sauer P250 9MM (full-size). I will post pics once the 48hr waiting period is over and I can pick it up.
Welcome to the club. Watch out This slope has become much worse for me lately than cigars.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #2669
eber
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
Welcome to the club. Watch out This slope has become much worse for me lately than cigars.
Yeah i have noticed, I don't even have this one in my possession yet and I already know which one I want next (some kind of 1911), anyone have any experience with Rock Island Arms 1911s?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #2670
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I'm still waiting for a Ruger sr1911.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #2671
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

In MA it's really really really difficult to get a CCW here. I was excited because I thought I could keep my MI residency until I got a CCW from MI. Wrong, when I filed Taxes they said I was a current resident of MA.

I hope my Wife gets stationed somewhere South next
Some beautiful pieces in this thread.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #2672
big a
Feeling at Home

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
Yeah i have noticed, I don't even have this one in my possession yet and I already know which one I want next (some kind of 1911), anyone have any experience with Rock Island Arms 1911s?

I too would like to hear what some brothers on here think. A couple local gun shops have told me that they are a good gun for the money. I have not owned or shot one but when checking them out I didn't like the sights and the way it fit in my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswol2 View Post
I'm still waiting for a Ruger sr1911.
I am trying to pick between this and a kimber. Would like to shoot the ruger before buying.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #2673
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)

If you want a 1911 for range use, almost any will do. If it's something you want for your own protection. You need to spend some money to get into a descent self defense pistol, (Speaking about 1911's). For 5 to 6 hundred dollars you can get into a glock or XD

For a defensive piece, I'd start looking at the Springfield Loaded series, STI makes some good guns, Les Baer, Dan Wesson Valor series, Smith & Wesson(Even with the external extractor)

1911's are fickle guns, they need to be put together well to function, and be maintained to a high level. Were I can shoot 10k rounds through my glock and never clean it, and then throw it in the floor of my truck and know I can use it in an instant.

I would never treat my 1911 like that. I clean it once a week, whether I shoot it or not. And I always make sure the parts are functioning correctly. It's my carry weapon, so I have to trust my life to it.

1911's are sweet, but take some time to become proficient with. And you must be willing to invest some time to learning the safe carry and handling of a single action semi-auto. And the care and maintenance of this weapon.

But they are sweet....

Last edited by Malazan; 03-05-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #2674
eber
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

thanks for the info malazan, thats a great looking 1911
Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #2675
big a
Feeling at Home

RyJ

Great looking gun Malazan. Pardon my ignorance but why do you clean the 1911 once a week even if not shot? Are they effected by natural conditions that much that could cause an issue?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #2676
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malazan View Post
If you want a 1911 for range use, almost any will do. If it's something you want for your own protection. You need to spend some money to get into a descent self defense pistol, (Speaking about 1911's). For 5 to 6 hundred dollars you can get into a glock or XD

For a defensive piece, I'd start looking at the Springfield Loaded series, STI makes some good guns, Les Baer, Dan Wesson Valor series, Smith & Wesson(Even with the external extractor)

1911's are fickle guns, they need to be put together well to function, and be maintained to a high level. Were I can shoot 10k rounds through my glock and never clean it, and then throw it in the floor of my truck and know I can use it in an instant.

I would never treat my 1911 like that. I clean it once a week, whether I shoot it or not. And I always make sure the parts are functioning correctly. It's my carry weapon, so I have to trust my life to it.

1911's are sweet, but take some time to become proficient with. And you must be willing to invest some time to learning the safe carry and handling of a single action semi-auto. And the care and maintenance of this weapon.

But they are sweet....

If something requires that much upkeep and is so prone to failure if its not taken care of exceedingly well then why trust your life with it?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #2677
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
Great looking gun Malazan. Pardon my ignorance but why do you clean the 1911 once a week even if not shot? Are they effected by natural conditions that much that could cause an issue?
It picks up quite a bit of lint off clothing and dust just from being concealed carried. Also, little bits of leather get on to it from the holster. It is also stainless steel, so I like to wipe it down with oil since it rest against my skin. Especially in the summer when you sweat more.

1911's are the pickiest pistol about being clean and lubed. So I figure better safe than sorry since I trust my life to it.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #2678
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poronico View Post
If something requires that much upkeep and is so prone to failure if its not taken care of exceedingly well then why trust your life with it?
It's not hard to maintain. It takes 30 mins out of my life to keep it in top shape.

The 1911's sole purpose is as a combat weapon. It was designed for military use. A well built, well maintained 1911 is as reliable as they come. And is one of the most accurate pistols out there. It also is very safe to carry in Condition 1, due to the design of the safeties.

It carries concealed better than any other, fits the hand like a glove, has a natural point of aim, trigger pull is the same on every shot, so no learning Double action pull-Single action pull

For precision CQB shooting all the SOC units use 1911's, so they are reliable under combat conditions.

Here is a good website about the 1911. It's run by Hilton Yam, he is a premier 1911 builder and a full time Police officer and SWAT member

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Duty-Use.html

Last edited by Malazan; 03-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #2679
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

a properly built and tuned 1911 is not a fickle gun. Every properly built modern 1911 should run fine on ball and HP ammo.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #2680
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Every properly built modern 1911 should run fine on ball and HP ammo.
That's the key right there. Properly built

You see people with a lot more issues with 1911's. Most are ammo or magazine related I would say

I don't really mean fickle, but you know, Most 1911's are hand fitted, so whoever does the work really needs to be on the ball, or you can run into problems real quick

Last edited by Malazan; 03-06-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Closed Thread