Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Losing Weight with Starscream

Over the past few years, I have gone on several diets in order to lose weight. One diet was very successful and over a period of four months I lost 30+ lbs. But I always seem to lose focus and gain it all back. It's time to get my focus back. It's time to not just diet and exercise, but to have a lifestyle change. It's time to make this a permanent change. I know their are other BOTLs out there who are on diets or thinking about it, therefore I am starting this thread in hopes that some other members will jump on board w/ me. I know several of you were in the Diet Contest at CS and lost some weight, others not so much. So let's get this show on the road.

My starting weight, Nov 19th: 264lbs.

Weight as of Dec 11th: 258lbs.

My diet right now is low-fat (for the most part). Thinking of switching to a low-carb diet, but need more time to make that decision. Nothing is set in stone just yet.

Exercise: Right now I am working out w/ dumbells at home. Not in the gym yet. Started some cardio workouts this week too.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Losing Weight with Andysutherland

It def is a lifestyle change, best of luck to you brother.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
kayaker

I'm there with you in spirit only for now Brother.

I could stand to lose 20 or so pounds, but I'm writing my thesis and not very active right now.

I return to work after the New Year, so I can focus on my eating habits and activities.

Get 'r done.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Gotta lose about 100 lbs! There is still a contest until April at CS. Don't know what's up with that- I probably should put in a post to see who, if anyone, is still working and visiting. I don't think it would be acceptable to move the contest over here.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Gotta lose about 100 lbs! There is still a contest until April at CS. Don't know what's up with that- I probably should put in a post to see who, if anyone, is still working and visiting. I don't think it would be acceptable to move the contest over here.
The first contest didn't go so well for me. Hope to stick w/ it this time though.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Shaerza
Weasel

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Shaerza is on a distinguished road

I will jump on the support band wagon! I have more or less reached my goal weight but I am still trying to redistribute some of the weight from my gut. My weight loss was my new years resolution last year, and I have to say its probably the first one I have ever taken seriously. You have made the right first step in calling it what it is, a definite Lifestyle change!

Start - Jan 1 2008 250lbs
Current - 187lbs

I started out just doing Weight Watchers (I highly recommend the online tracking program, it REALLY helps you in watching what you eat even after you stop using it) for the first 3 months and lost about 30lbs. Then I started hitting the gym for 45 minutes 3 times a week. We did 20 min of cardio then 25 minutes of lifting. I am now doing 45 minutes of lifting 3x a week and 1-2 hours of racquetball 2 times a week. I feel worlds better then I did this time last year and am pretty happy that I was able to accomplish this.

If ya have any questions let me know
Shaerza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

I'm supportive but not participating.

I've changed my life to eat healthy and workout, it's not coming off as fast as i'd like it too tho
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaerza View Post
Current - 187lbs

I started out just doing Weight Watchers (I highly recommend the online tracking program, it REALLY helps you in watching what you eat even after you stop using it) for the first 3 months and lost about 30lbs. Then I started hitting the gym for 45 minutes 3 times a week. We did 20 min of cardio then 25 minutes of lifting. I am now doing 45 minutes of lifting 3x a week and 1-2 hours of racquetball 2 times a week. I feel worlds better then I did this time last year and am pretty happy that I was able to accomplish this.

Congrats! Way to go. I am using the WW points calculator for now, although I'm not sure i'm gonna stick w/ that method. It worked for me last time, but I just didn't stick w/ it.

I'm not in a contest, working at my own pace. I'll get there when I get there. Hopefully sooner than later though.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I will jump on the support band wagon! I have more or less reached my goal weight but I am still trying to redistribute some of the weight from my gut. My weight loss was my new years resolution last year, and I have to say its probably the first one I have ever taken seriously. You have made the right first step in calling it what it is, a definite Lifestyle change!

Current - 187lbs

Great work!! I am currently almost 230 and want to get down to 185. Need to start the cardio after the new year. I have a brand new elliptical in the house that I haven't touched yet.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
ChicagoWhiteSox

Ive have lost weight and gained muscle with Stew Smith Workouts. I HIGHLY recommend him and his workouts. If you are already fit and slim, he has some really advanced stuff from his Navy Seal Days. Check him out!

Former Navy Seal Stew Smith
http://www.stewsmith.com/

weight loss tips
http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...t-loss/archive

Military Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...rkouts/archive

Special OPS Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...ations/archive

Navy Seal Workout
http://www.military.com/military-fit...l-fitness-test
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
mrreindeer

Andy, you're already off to a great start & Shaerza, way to go, that's freakin' awesome! I too am a big fan of WW (Weight Watchers). My mom took me to WW as a kid back in the '80's and I've pretty much been on or off all my life. The times I've gained some weight, I've just been lazy and not heeded the proper 'lifestyle'; it's entirely my fault. For the most part in the past decade, I've found success using what I've learned in WW and applying it in my daily eating routine. Unlike other diets out there where you've got to buy & eat the company's proprietary foodstuffs, WW taught me the tools necessary to conquer eating normal food, going out to dinner, etc. When I've felt weak, I've returned to the meetings which offer great group support which surprisingly enough, is part of WW's appeal & success.

During the holidays before our wedding, mrsreindeer & I joined up again to get some weight off and it worked great again and now she & I adhere to the guidelines mostly during the week and enjoy ourselves on the weekends and we've been doing pretty well maintaining.

And we use the point system too; it's great & so easy. Eat a bowl of cereal...5 points.....eat more points up to your daily max of well, I'm trying to be at 24....very simple.

I just need to reintroduce some exercise as I've really slacked off there and that also helps so much in your dieting.

Best of luck to you guys. It's tough during the holidays but doable; hang in there!

Quote:
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Last week I decided I needed to make the commitment also to get more active. I am at about 235 right now and would at least like to get under 225-220, but the main thing for me was getting more cardio.

I made the jump last Tuesday to get on the elliptical sitting unused in the basement every morning M-F. So far I haven't missed a day although this morning was close.

I figured I might as well do something productive while waiting for the coffee to brew in the morning.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post

And we use the point system too; it's great & so easy. Eat a bowl of cereal...5 points.....eat more points up to your daily max of well, I'm trying to be at 24....very simple.
30 points a day right now. Will be less very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Ive have lost weight and gained muscle with Stew Smith Workouts. I HIGHLY recommend him and his workouts. If you are already fit and slim, he has some really advanced stuff from his Navy Seal Days. Check him out!

Former Navy Seal Stew Smith
http://www.stewsmith.com/

weight loss tips
http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...t-loss/archive

Military Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...rkouts/archive

Special OPS Workouts
http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...ations/archive

Navy Seal Workout
http://www.military.com/military-fit...l-fitness-test
Thanks!

My only downfall right now, is that my wife won't get onboard. She says she is supportive, but continues to buy and cook things that are either unhealthy or cooks entirely too much for one meal.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #14
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
30 points a day right now. Will be less very soon.

My only downfall right now, is that my wife won't get onboard. She says she is supportive, but continues to buy and cook things that are either unhealthy or cooks entirely too much for one meal.
Oof, that's tough Andy....you always need a support network in things like this...that's why we've found the meetings so helpful and it was easier having my spouse do it with me....but you can do it. My wife has really enjoyed cooking really tasty stuff out of Cooking Light magazine (and Cooking Light books). Full-flavored stuff that's healthy for you. It'd be good for both you and your wife and I'd be surprised if your wife didn't enjoy the recipes.

30 points! sigh....what a luxury!

Hey, here are some favorite 1-point snacks to help you get through the day but remember that a lot of the time the way they get the points down is to bump up the fiber so drink lots of water!:

-Hostess 100-calorie 3 mini cupcake packs (1 point for chocolate, UNREAL)
-1 bag of a 100-calorie pack of reduced fat popcorn (1 point...very filling, seems like a lot)
-1 sugar-free Jello Pudding....60 calorie kind (1 point...delicious, truly)
-Weight Watchers chocolate singles (toffee or crispy cluster, YUM!)
-WW yogurt (1 point for a good-sized cup)
Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post

Hey, here are some favorite 1-point snacks to help you get through the day but remember that a lot of the time the way they get the points down is to bump up the fiber so drink lots of water!:

-Hostess 100-calorie 3 mini cupcake packs (1 point for chocolate, UNREAL)
-1 bag of a 100-calorie pack of reduced fat popcorn (1 point...very filling, seems like a lot)
-1 sugar-free Jello Pudding....60 calorie kind (1 point...delicious, truly)
-Weight Watchers chocolate singles (toffee or crispy cluster, YUM!)
-WW yogurt (1 point for a good-sized cup)
Sounds good. Lots of other great foods at dwlz.com

Insert quote here.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #16
mrreindeer

Quote:
Sounds good. Lots of other great foods at dwlz.com
freaking Godsend that Dotti! We use it all the time!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #17
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

I've noticed cigar smoking has helped w/ my appetite. Whenever I am home and get the urge to eat a snack, I go out and light up a cigar. It keeps me from eating.
This probably goes hand in hand w/ my weight gain and quitting cigarettes. I stopped smoking cigarettes 2 1/2 yrs ago. My weight was between 220-230lbs when I was smoking. As soon as I quit, my weight shot up.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've noticed cigar smoking has helped w/ my appetite. Whenever I am home and get the urge to eat a snack, I go out and light up a cigar. It keeps me from eating.
This probably goes hand in hand w/ my weight gain and quitting cigarettes. I stopped smoking cigarettes 2 1/2 yrs ago. My weight was between 220-230lbs when I was smoking. As soon as I quit, my weight shot up.
I can't agree with you more. I lost 25 lbs this spring/summer just by going outside to have a cigar at night instead of sitting in front of the TV. I eat when I am bored. Since the weather has turned colder here, and I can't sit outside to smoke, I have gained 10lbs back in the last 2 months or so.
My wife was put on a very restrictive diet to help with her Rheumatoid Arthritis, and has lost 50lbs in the last 6 months. I am diabetic, and need to lose that much also. 50lbs would put me down to 10lbs less then when I weighed in for my sr year of HS football. That would be good.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

How are things going today Andy? I had oatmeal for breakfast..2 cups of coffee so far with brown sugar and lil' cream...lunch looks like a chicken breast sandwich.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #20
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Took Friday off for alcohol.
Saturday evening for alcohol too.
My wife is cooking dumplins tonight. Very tempting, but I think I'm gonna have a leftover chicken breast.
Oatmeal, coffee, and a Perdomo Slow-Aged for breakfast this morning.
Gonna have a big meal Sunday after church, but then it's back to the routine.

Insert quote here.