Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #321
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Yes it did
Cheer up! You're always welcome here in the "Old Fart" thread. Oo-PAH!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #322
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Cheer up! You're always welcome here in the "Old Fart" thread. Oo-PAH!

I feel at home now
Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #323
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
I can't think of the brand of that knockoff for the life of me, CRS don't you know. The head broke off the built-in tamper within three days, needed refilling every third or fourth day of use, the striker wheel didn’t work well and it never wanted to light. I bought an eighteen dollar lighter and got what I paid for.
NIBO makes an "Old Boy" knock-off and it's a piece of crap...had one and it crapped out so early I wrote them and complained...they sent me another one...same problem, so I gave up...found the Colibri Morpheus to be a decent lighter...it's a two-way that lit one way has an angled flame for pipe lighting and lit the other way, a small torch flame for cigars or whatever...I use it mostly for pipe lighting...one of these days I'll probably break down and get myself a Corona Old Boy, but for now the Morpheus (I actually have two of them...got a great buy on them) is working fine...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #324
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
NIBO makes an "Old Boy" knock-off and it's a piece of crap...had one and it crapped out so early I wrote them and complained...they sent me another one...same problem, so I gave up...found the Colibri Morpheus to be a decent lighter...it's a two-way that lit one way has an angled flame for pipe lighting and lit the other way, a small torch flame for cigars or whatever...I use it mostly for pipe lighting...one of these days I'll probably break down and get myself a Corona Old Boy, but for now the Morpheus (I actually have two of them...got a great buy on them) is working fine...
$20 shipped on ebay seems like a good deal, I might just do that......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #325
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
$20 shipped on ebay seems like a good deal, I might just do that......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
Yep...that looks like a great deal, but you also need to know it's a one-way deal as Colibri has gone out of business...if it goes bad or needs repairs that's probably going to be a tough thing to get done, so theoretically you could be looking for another lighter in the future...like I said, when I burn through the Morpheus's, I'll probably pop for a Corona Old Boy in place of a pipe at some point...
Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #326
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yep...that looks like a great deal, but you also need to know it's a one-way deal as Colibri has gone out of business...if it goes bad or needs repairs that's probably going to be a tough thing to get done, so theoretically you could be looking for another lighter in the future...like I said, when I burn through the Morpheus's, I'll probably pop for a Corona Old Boy in place of a pipe at some point...
I thought Colibri went back in to business again?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #327
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
And the answer is: YES, they are back in business, and honoring all old warranties (which were LIFETIME ones by the way). New products carry a 2yr warranty as far as I can tell, which is plenty for me. I'm a-ok with paying $20 every two years for a lighter. Since pipes are currently my wintertime past time, I imagine I won't have to worry about wearing mine out too quickly.......

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...4,2791,00.html
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #328
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

What is the best way to remove the pre-carbon coating on a bowl.... I think this may be the cause of it tasting bitter with this particular pipe.
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #329
BigFrank
5 3 1

Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
ok, next question:

Good and cheap soft flame lighter?
I've been using a couple cheapo refillable Ronson soft flames, but really they HATE being refilled and one is already broken.

I've also gotten quite accurate and adept with using a Ronson Torch... but they don't like being inverted and I have gas flow problems....

soooooo whats a good (but inexpensive) soft flame, or torch that doesn't mind being inverted?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessor...roduct_id=5909

I have 2 of them.

I used a candle lighter for about a year, and matches. Most guys I speak too just something cheap...
Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #330
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Ah, that's great to know...sometimes it takes a while for news to reach us in the far depths of South Florida...
Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #331
BigFrank
5 3 1

Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Unless it involves the AARP!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #332
Jimmy PP

Well I went looking for pipes this weekend with a friend... I'm not too familiar with the town, I just go down to Missouri to see my girlfriend on the weekends. Anyways, I asked said friend about places that sell pipes, so we go to this shop that turns out to be more of a headshop. The only wooden bowled 'tobacco pipes' they had, the owner said were made out of cherry wood, and the bowls were quite rough. I've never used a tobacco pipe before, and was wondering... A. would a cherry wood pipe be alright, as I see most pipes are made from briar, and B. are the pipes supposed to have rough bowls like that?... It almost looked like it should be sanded down or something... But then again I've never used/owned a tobacco pipe.

I appreciate any help.

-Jimmy PP
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #333
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy PP View Post
Well I went looking for pipes this weekend with a friend... I'm not too familiar with the town, I just go down to Missouri to see my girlfriend on the weekends. Anyways, I asked said friend about places that sell pipes, so we go to this shop that turns out to be more of a headshop. The only wooden bowled 'tobacco pipes' they had, the owner said were made out of cherry wood, and the bowls were quite rough. I've never used a tobacco pipe before, and was wondering... A. would a cherry wood pipe be alright, as I see most pipes are made from briar, and B. are the pipes supposed to have rough bowls like that?... It almost looked like it should be sanded down or something... But then again I've never used/owned a tobacco pipe.

I appreciate any help.

-Jimmy PP
Yo JimmyPP! A. I think you will do much much better getting a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe from an actual tobacconist and, B. all kinds of pipes have all kinds of finishes from smooth to rough to deeply sandblasted and, C. you really want to get a cob and D. a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #334
Jimmy PP

Thanks for the quick reply, but I think I made myself unclear. It was the inside of the bowl I was referring to. It almost looked like it was just drilled out, and left all rough on the inside. The outside was a very nice red finish. But I'll check out a few smoke shops and see what they have. However, this 'headshop' had a small selection of pipe tobacco, including a Black Cavendish which I was eyeballing... at $4 an ounce. Which from what I've seen online is quite a steep price?

-Jimmy PP
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #335
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy PP View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, but I think I made myself unclear. It was the inside of the bowl I was referring to. It almost looked like it was just drilled out, and left all rough on the inside... ...Black Cavendish which I was eyeballing... at $4 an ounce.
$4.00/ounce isn't crazy-wild-high; tins are two-ounces and they usually sell for $7-$12/ea. Bulk is usually $2.50-ounce and up, depending.

Rough finish inside the bowl? Maybe it was coated with something a little raggedy to protect the wood from burning - that's not unusual. I never saw a new pipe with a drilled out chamber that was rough raw wood, though.

Black cavendish... it'd go well with a cob.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #336
skier171
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Matt
Trading: (1)
skier171 is on a distinguished road

Noob Question Here...

I have smoked a estate brior for the last year and a half, and a friend gifted me a Missouri Meerschaum corncob...looking into the bowl, there is a wood tube shaved off going almost most completly across the base of the bowl. Should there be any type of screen or filter there? There is a paper filter in the stem.

And I know I read this before in this thread (great work reading..), but can I smoke a corncob daily? multiple bowls?

lastly, I have some tobacca thats been sitting in my cabinent for far too long (6 monthish) but its my favorite blend from a shop down in kc...is there any way to revive that so it can be smoked again?

Thanks for the help guys

matt
skier171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #337
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier171 View Post
Noob Question Here...

I have smoked a estate brior for the last year and a half, and a friend gifted me a Missouri Meerschaum corncob...looking into the bowl, there is a wood tube shaved off going almost most completly across the base of the bowl. Should there be any type of screen or filter there? There is a paper filter in the stem.

And I know I read this before in this thread (great work reading..), but can I smoke a corncob daily? multiple bowls?

lastly, I have some tobacca thats been sitting in my cabinent for far too long (6 monthish) but its my favorite blend from a shop down in kc...is there any way to revive that so it can be smoked again?

Thanks for the help guys

matt
That's they way they're supposed to be...long tube no screen at bottom...not really into cobs (don't care for them for some reason) but I understand those that use them smoke them daily, and I'm gonna guess sometimes several times a day, and/or multiple bowls....

As for rehydrating the tobacco...get yourself one of those little spray bottles (misters) they usually have in the pharmacy/toiletries section at WalMart...use distilled water only...spread the tobacco on some paper towels and give it a light misting to get it to where you want it hydration-wise...if you over wet it pat it with a dry paper towel or let it sit a bit until it dries a bit more...you should be able to tell by feeling a pinch of it when you have it the way you want it...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #338
skier171
Still Watching My Back

awesome. thank you very much for the quick response. looks like im stopping by walmart on my way home from work today.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #339
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

All the MM cobs are like that, no you don't need a screen, and you don't even need that paper filter in the stem. Use if if you like but most people just throw them away before they starts smoking the pipe.

Cobs are sorta the workhorses of pipe smoking, you can ride them hard and they don't mind. If you want to smoke multiple bowls go ahead just run a pipe cleaner down through the stem a couple times and then bend in in half and go around the inside of the bowl.

The 6 month old baccy may be perfectly fine to smoke right now, pinch some between your fingers, if it doesn't crumble into pieces I'd smoke it as is, if you think it's too dry put it in a bowl with a wrung out paper towel over top and check on it periodically till it is where you want it.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #340
skier171
Still Watching My Back

What is the paper filter in there to do? I don's understand why cobs have those, while briar's dont?