Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #2481
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Mold. Sorry.

Not serious, damaging or dangerous though. Brush it off and lower your storage humidity, you might need to leave the box open for a bit and you'll be fine.
Correct and if you are using water as opposed to beads for humidity make sure you are using distilled water as tap water will promote mold growth.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #2482
alhenry92
Just in from the Storm

First Name: albert
Trading: (0)
alhenry92 is on a distinguished road

this may be the noobiest question, but what makes the cuban cigar in general, the premier and iconic smoke?
alhenry92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #2483
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhenry92 View Post
this may be the noobiest question, but what makes the cuban cigar in general, the premier and iconic smoke?
Generally speaking, most people will argue soil, growing conditions, region of the world, quality control, etc. However, some people are simply hung up on the fact that they are illegal to buy in the US, therefore they MUST be better (a Cuban Cigar Placebo Effect if you want to think of it that way). But honestly, CCs are not always "better" (which is a highly subjective term and depends what you mean by better).

In my opinion, many NCs (non-cubans) can stand toe to toe with CCs. That's not to say however, that I don't think CCs have their strong points. CCs have a unique flavor I've found, that many NCs cannot imitate...some of the best cigars I've ever had have been CC. If you happen to like this flavor, then great, you'll love CCs. If you do not, then you will think CCs are overrated.

You'll find many people who have differing opinions: some who are CC fanatics, and some who are NC fanatics. However, most, if not all, newer smokers who haven't tried a wide variety of cigars won't even be able to distinguish the nuances that seperate CCs and NCs.

Tobacco hailing from Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras, Brazil, Connecticut, Dom.Rep., etc all have their own unique "flavors" and characteristics. To say they are all the same would be like saying every wine or every beer tastes the same just because they are made from the same general ingredients. Hope this helps!

Last edited by RobR1205; 12-25-2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: add one more point!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #2484
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhenry92 View Post
There's a good analogy between cigars and fine wine. In both cases, there was an area with excellent growing conditions and the know-how to make a fine product (France for wine and Cuba for cigars). Later, new areas started making competitive products.

I remember when people looked down on wine from California or cigars from Central America. Today, they make products that are very excellent. But, they aren't exactly the same! So, you can decide what you prefer. That's the fun of it.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #2485
alhenry92
Just in from the Storm

First Name: albert
alhenry92 is on a distinguished road

All very good points, honestly i havent enjoyed enough cigars to really get a feel of what i prefer yet, but so far i like villiger elite toros. i WANT to get pre embargos down the line, moneys pretty tight at the moment though.
alhenry92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #2486
gliderryder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Robert
Cohiba
gliderryder is on a distinguished road

I just started using this forum and also I am a beginner to the cigar world. I purchased a humidor and also a electric humidifier. My question is can I cut a slot in the shelving to make room for the electric humidifier? :
gliderryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #2487
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderryder View Post
I just started using this forum and also I am a beginner to the cigar world. I purchased a humidor and also a electric humidifier. My question is can I cut a slot in the shelving to make room for the electric humidifier? :
You certainly can cut a slot. However, before you do so, you might want to check to see if you really need an electric humidifier for your humidor. There are other alternatives that may be more effective depending upon the size of your humidor.

If you do decide to cut a slot -- be careful. Sometimes the wood is a composite and you never know what the core is made of. It might be a variety of particle board which could get too moist and moldy.

What size humidor do you have? (e.g., dimensions or number of cigars -- although you will come to fine out that the latter measure is not very accurate).

Also, you might want to drop by here (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7) and introduce yourself.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #2488
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
How big is the humidor? Please post pictures for best advice. Shouldn't need a n electric humidifier if only a desktop humidor.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #2489
gliderryder
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

It us 15x12x8 and holds 150 cigars. I purchased an oasis electric humidifier cause I didn't want to fuss with the other humidifiers. wanted to look in my humidore and see what the RH is.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #2490
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

It may be too late to return it, but for that size humidor you can easily get a bag of beads, and have to do almost nothing to them except recharge them with water every 6ish months.

And then a $12 digital RH monitor so you can peak in and see what's going on.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #2491
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It us 15x12x8 and holds 150 cigars. I purchased an oasis electric humidifier cause I didn't want to fuss with the other humidifiers. wanted to look in my humidore and see what the RH is.
for something that size, you can just buy an 8oz of HCM beads and not have to deal with the oasis.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #2492
gliderryder
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

OK got it. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:32 AM   #2493
CdnStogie
Fooore!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
RyJ
CdnStogie is on a distinguished road

Is there a minimum temp that most would keep their cigars at? I know the max of being 70F.

Been keeping my cigars in the basement in a closet recently for the last couple weeks. In the cool winter months in Canada, my basement room can drop down to the low 60's. Typically sitting around 64 but this morning was at 61F. Keeps the beetles at bay - but will this have any negative effects on taste, aging etc?

I have read information on humidity effects w/ lower temperature. Should I in turn be changing what RH I am after? Currently keeping it around 67%
CdnStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #2494
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I keep mine in a wineador mainly to keep them cooler during the summer. Once winter rolls around I unplug it. So the temperature gets down to about 63 at night sometimes. I use beads and they keep the RH pretty rock steady even with the temperature changes. I notice no difference in how my cigars taste at the lower temperature versus the summertime when they're at 68 then taken outside into 90-degree weather to be smoked.
Cigars are pretty resilient.

Short answer: if they taste good to you, I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #2495
CdnStogie
Fooore!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
RyJ
CdnStogie is on a distinguished road

Thank you kindly James!
CdnStogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #2496
gliderryder
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

hmmmm I need to know if it would be bad for my cigs at 63 degrees? my rh is about 72-73% range but when I go to cut the ends it just crumples and falls apart like it is to dry. Any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #2497
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
hmmmm I need to know if it would be bad for my cigs at 63 degrees? my rh is about 72-73% range but when I go to cut the ends it just crumples and falls apart like it is to dry. Any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, 63 degrees is not going to hurt your cigars as long as the RH is in the proper range. So:
How long have the cigars been at that RH?
When was the last time your hygrometer was calibrated?
Are the blades on your cutter sharp?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #2498
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

James may be on to something, sounds like your hygrometer may be off. Is it digital or analog?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #2499
gliderryder
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

I have an electric humidifier that I put in a month ago. so my cigs have been in there for about a month. the cutter insn't that old so I do not think that is the problem.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #2500
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have an electric humidifier that I put in a month ago. so my cigs have been in there for about a month. the cutter insn't that old so I do not think that is the problem.
Do you have a separate hygrometer in your humidor along with the humidifier? If so, is it analog or digital?

If you do not have a hygrometer and relying solely on the settings for the electric humidifier I would strongly recommend that you get a digital hygrometer as the electric humidifiers are not very accurate.

In any case, your cigars should be good for a while -- they are very resilient -- while you solve your problems.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote