Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Question about a Neglected Humidor

I know there are already plenty of threads about this, but I couldn't find anything that answered specifics about my situation. I haven't smoked a cigar in quite a while, so I have neglected my smaller humidor. For about two years I haven't touched it. The digital hygrometer is on the outside, so I see the reading everyday, but I just never have gotten around to getting it back into shape. It has never dipped below 40 humidity. All summer it has been around 45-47 humidity.

My question is, "are the cigars in that humidor salvageable?" Is a low 40 average humidity too low to bring back to life? I always prefer to keep my main humi in the low 60s.
I'm not going to pitch anything until I get the humi back in shape, but I was wondering what to expect with the cigars.
Thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Question about a Neglected Humidor

I would first get a calibrated hygrostat and placed in inside the humi to really know what was the humidity in the inside of the humidor
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Hard to say, Andy, but I think that they should be salvageable.

Just recondition the humidor and once it is stable and a few degrees of RH above what you want it to be at, put the sticks back in. The sticks will soak up some of the moisture, so allow for that.

And you really only need a hygrometer, not a hygrostat, as you are measuring only. Salt test it first to make sure you know if there is a delta between the real RH and what your gauge says.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Really only one way to find out if those cigars are salvageable Andy. Re-condition that humi, let the sticks "recover" for some time (week or two) and see how they smoke. Two years is a long time for a stick to be left "unattended", but if they've been stored in a cool/dry place...no reason to believe they can't be salvaged. Now if you lived in Florida or a more humid location...I'd say your chances were a lot slimmer of recovering them. Remember, cigars are more resilient that people think. Best of luck brother.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

A hygrometer on the outside, digital or not, might as well be in the other room. Get one and place it inside once calibrated.

Re-Season humidor and then focus on the cigars. Doing both at the same time will only lead to more headaches. You dont say what you are using for humidification, if you're not using beads GET SOME. Heartfelt or Shilala's.

Once the humidor is holding steady for a few days you can SLOWLY start to work on the cigars. It will take a month or two to get them stable at around 60%. Only after smoking them will you know if they are alright for consumption.

The main thing is to take the process slowly.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, guys. I know the process will take time, but I feel a bit more optimistic about being able to salvage them now.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

He's probably talking about one of those hygrometers that fits into the hole on the front of the humidor, so the readings are not actually taken from the outside.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

I have saved cigars in the same situation. It will take time. It took 6 months to get them back to smoking status. Just wait and don't rush it. Your on the right track get a humi in there and wait.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04GT View Post
He's probably talking about one of those hygrometers that fits into the hole on the front of the humidor, so the readings are not actually taken from the outside.
Yep. I didn't make that clear in my first post. Sorry for the confusion.

Insert quote here.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Yep. I didn't make that clear in my first post. Sorry for the confusion.
To clarify, if that is the only hygrometer you are using you might as well check the humidity on the internet. Completely worthless and a source for leakage. Seal around the hygrometer with odorless silicone and also around the glass top if your humidor has one. Get a digital hygometer that is adjustable.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
To clarify, if that is the only hygrometer you are using you might as well check the humidity on the internet. Completely worthless and a source for leakage. Seal around the hygrometer with odorless silicone and also around the glass top if your humidor has one. Get a digital hygrometer that is adjustable.

what he said x 2...............
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
CigarInspector
Blogging hedonist

First Name: Denis
Trading: (0)
RA
CigarInspector is on a distinguished road

I agree the cigars are probably salvageable, but I have a slightly different question. How much money do you have invested in those cigars?

If there are just a few inexpensive cigars, I would hand them out as gifts to cheap cigar smoking buddies and buy some new cigars. You will spend a significant amount of time getting those cigars back into good smoking quality, when you could be getting your humidor back into proper working order and adding a few new sticks.

I discovered a handful of cigars in my old travel humidor that had sat unattended for 3 months. I handed them out at the bar and never looked back. Everyone was grateful for the "great cigars", and I was relieved to have them off my hands.
CigarInspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarInspector View Post
I agree the cigars are probably salvageable, but I have a slightly different question. How much money do you have invested in those cigars?

If there are just a few inexpensive cigars, I would hand them out as gifts to cheap cigar smoking buddies and buy some new cigars. You will spend a significant amount of time getting those cigars back into good smoking quality, when you could be getting your humidor back into proper working order and adding a few new sticks.

I discovered a handful of cigars in my old travel humidor that had sat unattended for 3 months. I handed them out at the bar and never looked back. Everyone was grateful for the "great cigars", and I was relieved to have them off my hands.

I have some expired meat in my refrigerator, why don't you stop by for a sandwich? Just give me a few hours warning so I can scrape the mold off of it.

PS: This thread is 2-1/2 months old, I figure that Andy probably has the problem solved by now.

Last edited by T.G; 11-13-2013 at 08:36 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote