Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default The LGC ping lighter

http://www.atlanticcigar.com/beatclockdeals.html

Cigary pointed this lighter out to us in another thread, and I was gonna continue the threadjack and realized, "WHY?" So this is a thread now. Deal with it, lol.

Just got my lighter in and I'd like to comment that if the regular priceof this is ACTUALLY $250, I'll eat my hat! BUT it is a nice lighter. WOrds have been bandied about over how realistic the "ping" is on opening. Cigary termed it "Dead-Nutts on" if I recall correctly. I went online to HEAR the ping of a S.T. Dupont lighter, and dead nutts is correct. It's got a nice soft flame and all of the controls and valves are recessed under fold away mechanizms just like the french-made superlighter. Maybe lighters shaped like it cost $250. Or maybe this is a better lighter than 25 bucks should be able to buy. I like mine. Glad I got two even. But the logo of LGC looks like some kind of sticker they threw on a white lighter, almost detracting frm the overall lighter vibe. But it is part of the finish, it just looks oddly small. And the GOLD trim looks a lot better in person, all of the silvery parts in the photo are actually gold. Plating or something, maybe just gold chrome, but nice.

Now the other tabletop lighter that I bought just to justify ordering online and paying shipping makes me feel a bit like a meth hed. Too big?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atlanticcigar_2107_261184.jpg (34.9 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg atlanticcigar_2103_1222206.jpg (11.3 KB, 444 views)
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The LGC ping lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
http://www.atlanticcigar.com/beatclockdeals.html

Cigary pointed this lighter out to us in another thread, and I was gonna continue the threadjack and realized, "WHY?" So this is a thread now. Deal with it, lol.

Just got my lighter in and I'd like to comment that if the regular priceof this is ACTUALLY $250, I'll eat my hat! BUT it is a nice lighter. WOrds have been bandied about over how realistic the "ping" is on opening. Cigary termed it "Dead-Nutts on" if I recall correctly. I went online to HEAR the ping of a S.T. Dupont lighter, and dead nutts is correct. It's got a nice soft flame and all of the controls and valves are recessed under fold away mechanizms just like the french-made superlighter. Maybe lighters shaped like it cost $250. Or maybe this is a better lighter than 25 bucks should be able to buy. I like mine. Glad I got two even. but the other tabletop lighter that I bought just to justify ordering online and paying shipping makes me feel a bit like a meth hed. Too big?

Bought two of these as well, arrived yesterday. I have been amazed at the niceness & quality for such a cheap lighter. I have been sitting in my office half the morning playing with it.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Apparently the beat the clock is for a month, so maybe a week or so to get in on this, lol.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

It looks like the EverTorch
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

Weren't you guys saying the evertorch would light soft OR jet??

Or are you referring the the crackhead lighter? OK, no I google
pac-manned the thing and you are talking about the Dupont knockoff.
NO, there is no jet outlet on this lighter, but the lighters do look similar when
closed.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
It looks like the EverTorch
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
OLS
Suck It

Yeah, looking at the Ever-tech website, it sems like they offer quite a few types, so the dual flame
type feature being absent wouldn't DQ it from being from that manufacturer.
http://www.evertech-inc.com/pro.asp?pg=4&type=type1
Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Mine is arriving today so I'll try to get some pictures up this evening, maybe even a video of the ping sound
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Single of dual flame?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

These are just the single flame
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I bought one also. Haven't gotten it yet though.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Cigary

WTG Brad! I'm still dickin around with this lighter and can't get enough of the PING...it's as authentic as the real one. The LGC emblem is ok...I like LGC cigars so I'm not offended by the logo. It doesnt have the combo torch/soft flame like the Ever Torch lighter which I have been looking at for the last 2 years. I like that one but it doesn't PING...I'm obsessed with the PING. I own 2 other lighters that have a combo torch/soft flame from buylighters.com and they work great so my fascination and fetish is fueled by none other than our resident brother on here...Bart the Ripper! I sent out one to him because he needs to play with this thing plus Bart is always bombing the crap outta me with his unlimited supply of swag.

I might ( no doubt ) will buy another LGC lighter because it's just that good. I'm not a lighter expert but being able to buy this sucker for only $24 is stealing it...and it's well worth $50 or over for what it does. If EverTorch can put that PING on its lighter I'd probably buy it because of the 2 in 1 feature. This hobby is breaking me cuz it just isn't about cigars anymore.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

How does it refuel? If it refuels like it's Dupont counter part, it is going to be a pain to refuel.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #14
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Old 05-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
How does it refuel? If it refuels like it's Dupont counter part, it is going to be a pain to refuel.
It does...it's very easy and I actually like it. You flip up the little handle and unscrew it and then refill with good butane ( not a color coded cannister like the ST Dupont) and it refills very easily. The directions say to insert the tip for about 3 seconds and do that about 3-4 times to fill it to the maximum. Screw the threaded valve back in ( this also controls the flame adjustment with the little handle) and you are in business. I didn't get any blowback from the can and it was really nice and easy.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Mine filled easily also. 4 or 5 4 second pumps.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

I got mine in the mail yesterday, and I was immediately impressed. It looked WAY better than in the picture, yes, it had gold trim instead of what looked to be silver, but it still looked good. It is very heavy and just feels well built. For a copy of a famous lighter, I was impressed. Excited to hear the "dead nutts" on ping sound, I flipped open the lighter.

Well, to say the least, I wasn't very impressed. Maybe I got a dud? Do your lighters sound like this? Compared to a REAL S.T. Dupont...it sounds cheap and doesn't have a resounding ring. Below is a video of a real S.T. Dupont (not my video) and a video of my lighter I just took.

For $25 + shipping though...it's significantly nicer than any of the other $15-20 lighters I've purchased, and I'm glad to have a soft flame lighter now to compliment my torches

Real S.T. Dupont

The La Gloria Cubana S.T. Dupont style lighter
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #18
cigarlvr
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (11)
cigarlvr is on a distinguished road

Nice lighter what kind of Flints do you need to use with these?
cigarlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

RA

For $24 mine sounds exactly like the $200 Dupont!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #20
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
I got mine in the mail yesterday, and I was immediately impressed. It looked WAY better than in the picture, yes, it had gold trim instead of what looked to be silver, but it still looked good. It is very heavy and just feels well built. For a copy of a famous lighter, I was impressed. Excited to hear the "dead nutts" on ping sound, I flipped open the lighter.

Well, to say the least, I wasn't very impressed. Maybe I got a dud? Do your lighters sound like this? Compared to a REAL S.T. Dupont...it sounds cheap and doesn't have a resounding ring. Below is a video of a real S.T. Dupont (not my video) and a video of my lighter I just took.

For $25 + shipping though...it's significantly nicer than any of the other $15-20 lighters I've purchased, and I'm glad to have a soft flame lighter now to compliment my torches

Real S.T. Dupont

The La Gloria Cubana S.T. Dupont style lighter
Dude...you did get a "dud" as that doesn't even sound like mine. Mine when I open it up has the exact PING of the ST Dupont. You have 3 days to return it back to Atlantic and get another one...hurry hurry!