Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road
Default Brand new pipe smoker

Just bought a cheapy pipe from ebay, ran me seven bucks. It looks cool, what are some good baccys to try out my first time? Nothing too harsh, and not too expensive.
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brand new pipe smoker

Butternut Burley
Trout and Stream
Old 03-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Gary
waiting for my next smoke

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
Gary is on a distinguished road

I'm a new pipe smoker also. I started with English blends but didn't like them at all. I think it was the Latakia that didn't sit well with me.

I then switched immediately to Virginias, and that was much much better. So I'd recommend Samuel Gawith's Golden Glow and Samuel Gawith's St James Flake, and also McClelland Navy Cavendish.

That's just my opinion.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Gary
waiting for my next smoke

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
Gary is on a distinguished road

When you're ready for a pipe upgrade, you might want to consider a Jake Hackert, just got this one in today. Also, don't forget plenty of wooden matches

I started off smoking cigars, switched over to pipes and haven't smoked a cigar since, I really enjoy pipe tobacco! I think you're gonna really enjoy it.

4 Jake Hackert pipes listed on Ebay right now! Must resist!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

be careful on those wooden matches. oddly enough, some of the matches sent to me by vendors when i order give off a really foul taste... if you do use matches, use those kitchen matches you get at the supermarket (plus they burn better).

as far as tobaccos go, i would first suggest buying a cheap corn cob pipe w/ a straight stem. take out the filter, look down the shank and make sure the airway is clear (sometimes there are chunks of woods still in there). then head to the closest B&M, talk to the guys that know pipe tobacco, not the doofus who knows very little about cigars and nothing about pipe tobacco... you can use the corn cob as your "taste tester".
explain your situation to the guy that knows pipe tobacco. if you don't want a fruity smelling aromatic, tell him... let him know you want tobacco that tastes like tobacco...
i'd ask for a mild oriental blend, a Virginia/Perique blend, and let him choose something else.

they will most likely let you try a sample from their own personal tins they have open behind the counter...

also, if you're not too shy, ask them to demonstrate how they load your pipe. it's one thing to be told online in text how to do, it's another to actually see it done.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
Just bought a cheapy pipe from ebay, ran me seven bucks. It looks cool, what are some good baccys to try out my first time? Nothing too harsh, and not too expensive.
What kind of pipe did you buy?