Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Storage Upgrade Suggestions?

I'm a big fan of reusing boxes and using 5-finger bags for storage. I use old boxes (cabs usually) if I have some sticks that I want to put down for some time. I use 5-finger bags for singles where I will probably smoke them or gift them in the near term (next 6 months or so). Both approaches seem to work quite well.

I've recently exceeded my box storage (3 vinotemps) so will use my coolers until I decide on how best to go for long term storage - either an aristocrat or converting a walk-in closet to a walk-in humi.

btw, I keep all my empty boxes in coolers at 65% humidity so that they are ready to go when I need to press them into service. I mostly save all wood boxes, which mostly means cabs.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #22
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I have a hygro that shows the highs and lows over a 24 hour period. The coolers are more stable than my humis even with me opening and closing the cooler multiple times.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #23
Slavac

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9222616
Old 12-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #24
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

The struggle continues.
I'm fighting to keep my desktop at 60% with a Puck from Cigarmony, even with the beads fully saturated. I think I can fix this by replacing the Puck with another 8 oz. bag of Scott's beads, and maybe a bead of silicone around the glass top.
For additional storage, I appropriated a 28 qt. Sterilite bin that we had laying around. Crappy seal, but I built it up a bit with masking tape, and the RH is reasonably stable with 8 oz. of Scott's beads. I just need to throw in a damp sponge for a few hours every couple of days when the RH dips.
I've been watching eBay, craigslist, and the WTS for better options. Since I can't smoke more than 1-2 cigars/week in this cold, I should really stay off the devil site for a few weeks and save my cigar budget for better storage and maybe another digital hygrometer.
[/ramble]
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #25
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I use ziplocks and 5 finger bags and the occasional empy box for single storage. And you don't need a fan.

I also re-use boxes currently in a 50 icecube and its packed my recommendation would be to try and get empty boxes to fill makes organization easier
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #26
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post

I also re-use boxes currently in a 50 icecube and its packed my recommendation would be to try and get empty boxes to fill makes organization easier
I'm planning to stop down at the B&M today for a smoke. I'll see if they'd like to off-load any boxes.
Any issues with varnished boxes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #27
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
I'm planning to stop down at the B&M today for a smoke. I'll see if they'd like to off-load any boxes.
Posted via Mobile Device
My B&M sells them for $3 a pop and usually has tons of 'em.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #28
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
The struggle continues.
I'm fighting to keep my desktop at 60% with a Puck from Cigarmony, even with the beads fully saturated. I think I can fix this by replacing the Puck with another 8 oz. bag of Scott's beads, and maybe a bead of silicone around the glass top.
For additional storage, I appropriated a 28 qt. Sterilite bin that we had laying around. Crappy seal, but I built it up a bit with masking tape, and the RH is reasonably stable with 8 oz. of Scott's beads. I just need to throw in a damp sponge for a few hours every couple of days when the RH dips.
I've been watching eBay, craigslist, and the WTS for better options. Since I can't smoke more than 1-2 cigars/week in this cold, I should really stay off the devil site for a few weeks and save my cigar budget for better storage and maybe another digital hygrometer.
[/ramble]
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you are doing a hell of a lot of screwing around when you could buy a small good sealing cooler for 12 bucks at Wally World.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Assuming the paint/varnish is fully cured, none that I've ever found.

Unvarnished boxes will breathe/pass humidity better, but I can't say that I've ever noticed any differences between the random NC's I store in varnished/painted boxes and unvarnished boxes.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #30
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

The Sterilite bin is just going to frustrate you. My situation was similar to yours last year--started with a 100ct & a 50ct for cc's. For about $15, I picked up a 28qt Coleman cooler at WM. It holds about 5-6 boxes stacked (mostly because it's narrower at the bottom than at the top) with lots of additional room for bags & singles stuck here & there. It's not fancy, but it works--even much better than my desktops. The wife hates it because it's blue and sits in the corner by the piano. Oh well. I think it looks great with all my CA & herf crew stickers.

It's not even half full, and I've only had to recharge my HF beads just once in the past year. Holds humidity like a champ.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #31
looking for know
Dr. Mike

First Name: Mike
Trading: (10)
Army (Served With Honor)
looking for know is on a distinguished road

I have yet to regret moving into coolers. It's as if they were made for keeping cigars at a consistent RH level.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #32
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for know View Post
I have yet to regret moving into coolers. It's as if they were made for keeping cigars at a consistent RH level.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #33
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
The Sterilite bin is just going to frustrate you. My situation was similar to yours last year--started with a 100ct & a 50ct for cc's. For about $15, I picked up a 28qt Coleman cooler at WM. It holds about 5-6 boxes stacked (mostly because it's narrower at the bottom than at the top) with lots of additional room for bags & singles stuck here & there. It's not fancy, but it works--even much better than my desktops. The wife hates it because it's blue and sits in the corner by the piano. Oh well. I think it looks great with all my CA & herf crew stickers.

It's not even half full, and I've only had to recharge my HF beads just once in the past year. Holds humidity like a champ.
Did some price checking at Wally World today. The Igloo and Coleman 28 qt. are $16-17, but they also have the Coleman Xtreme 70 qt. for $42. I'll probably go with the bigger cooler so I don't have to do this dance again anytime soon.
While I was there, I picked up an Acu Rite hygrometer to try out. Also grabbed some Liquid Nails sealant, as they only had plain silicone in the big caulking gun tubes. Is this stuff OK to use in a humidor?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #34
looking for know
Dr. Mike

First Name: Mike
Trading: (10)
Army (Served With Honor)
looking for know is on a distinguished road

I don't know. Liquid nails = fumes.

Why the sealant? Check the lids on the coolers. Some just "rest on top" when closed, others seal tight. IMO, Get one that fits tight and seals without the need for sealants.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #35
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for know View Post
I don't know. Liquid nails = fumes.

Why the sealant? Check the lids on the coolers. Some just "rest on top" when closed, others seal tight. IMO, Get one that fits tight and seals without the need for sealants.
I think he's using the sealant around the glasstop of his humidor. Sounds like a good idea, I probably need to do the same but just never got to it. That's where I'd bet I'm losing humidity in the winter (humi drops from 65% to 53% from about Dec thru March when the ambient house humidity plummets to below 25%.)

Not sure that I'd use Liquid Nails though.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #36
mariogolbee

Quote:
Did some price checking at Wally World today. The Igloo and Coleman 28 qt. are $16-17, but they also have the Coleman Xtreme 70 qt. for $42. I'll probably go with the bigger cooler so I don't have to do this dance again anytime soon.
While I was there, I picked up an Acu Rite hygrometer to try out. Also grabbed some Liquid Nails sealant, as they only had plain silicone in the big caulking gun tubes. Is this stuff OK to use in a humidor?
Posted via Mobile Device
Just go for the online 150 qt Coleman Marine Cooler from Wally. It's only $75 + tax and they'll ship it to a local store for free. If you don't want to do this dance again that's the way to go.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #37
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Liquid nails is less than ideal for sealing in the glass on your humidor, it's a construction adhesive, not a sealant. It's not easily formable so you won't get a nice even bead that you can smooth with your finger, it's a PITA to trim and remove if you have excess, you can't "work it" like silicone or caulking, and if you ever have to remove it, fugataboutit.

Easiest thing to work with is a tube of DAP Kwik Seal Plus Kitchen and Bath Caulking. It's a red tube, costs about $1.75. Comes in white, off-white and almond IIRC. Just barely cut the tip on an angle and squeeze down a bead. The stuff is super formable (holds it's shape after you drag your finger across it, like when you are caulking pieces positioned perpendicular to each other), cleans up very easily with just a damp rag, the tube is super pliable for controlling the bead, it gives off very little odor when drying and none once it's dry (unlike liquid nails which can reek for weeks).

If that won't work due to cosmetics, go to the auto parts store and get a tube of permatex brand silicone, either in clear or cosmetic black (the cheap black for trim work, not the expensive oil resistant black for doing head gaskets)
Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #38
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
I think he's using the sealant around the glasstop of his humidor. Sounds like a good idea, I probably need to do the same but just never got to it. That's where I'd bet I'm losing humidity in the winter (humi drops from 65% to 53% from about Dec thru March when the ambient house humidity plummets to below 25%.)

Not sure that I'd use Liquid Nails though.
That's it exactly, Gerard. Yeah, I don't think the Liquid Nails is going to work. I put some on a piece of cardboard and let it set, and it still reeks. Guess I'm off to Home Depot tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Just go for the online 150 qt Coleman Marine Cooler from Wally. It's only $75 + tax and they'll ship it to a local store for free. If you don't want to do this dance again that's the way to go.
I'd love to, Mario. Unfortunately, we're in an apartment, and SWMBO would not approve of a monster like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Easiest thing to work with is a tube of DAP Kwik Seal Plus Kitchen and Bath Caulking. It's a red tube, costs about $1.75. Comes in white, off-white and almond IIRC. Just barely cut the tip on an angle and squeeze down a bead.

If that won't work due to cosmetics, go to the auto parts store and get a tube of permatex brand silicone, either in clear or cosmetic black (the cheap black for trim work, not the expensive oil resistant black for doing head gaskets)
Sounds like Permatex is it. There's an auto parts store just a few blocks from here. I was surprised Wal Mart didn't have the smaller tubes of silicone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #39
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Sounds like Permatex is it. There's an auto parts store just a few blocks from here. I was surprised Wal Mart didn't have the smaller tubes of silicone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just to clarify, Permatex is just a brand name, just happens to be what most auto parts stores here sell. Any quality clear or black slicone should be fine.

(Don't want you accidentally buying something like Permatex #1 or #2, that would be bad... #3 or #4 would be worse, but auto parts stores don't normally sell those)
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #40
mariogolbee

Quote:
I'd love to, Mario. Unfortunately, we're in an apartment, and SWMBO would not approve of a monster like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry to hear that. Gotta do whatcha gotta do though Jeff.