Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #21
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hurricane Sandy

I know I typically don't get worried about storms, but they are evacuating my neighborhood. My house is about 40 feet above normal high tide, and there is concern that we may get water. Packing the Dogs up and heading to family. Wish us the best.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
I know I typically don't get worried about storms, but they are evacuating my neighborhood. My house is about 40 feet above normal high tide, and there is concern that we may get water. Packing the Dogs up and heading to family. Wish us the best.
Good luck Chris and best wishes, stay safe!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If your pad REALLY IS 40 feet above high tide, you are not going to get wet.
Plain and simple fact. But there will be wind driven rain that will FIND a way into
your windows, under doors, etc. Again, wrap your good stuff in trash bags and
keep it UP on something or on a second floor. ANd tie down the stuff you can't
bring in and tell your neighbors to do the same.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Plain and simple fact. But there will be wind driven rain that will FIND a way into
11' storm surge + 30' waves they are calling for, not sure how these numbers work together or how far off shore he is but it sounds like there is potential.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I am worrying for my friend Chingas.....He is RIGHT there in the Raritan Estuary near the Jersey Shore and
that puts him in line for a hell of a disaster in the coming storm surge. I know there are many of us in the
path of doom, but he is my main man up that way. It hurts to know that he is gonna get it. I have ridden out
well in excess of a dozen hurricanes in New Orleans and I know firsthand what you guys are up against.
What's worse is, mine were always in a very temperate climate. You guys are gonna get wet, cold and damaged.
That hurts me. I know all too well the impact of these storms. You have my sympathies and my thoughts are
with you.

And by the way, there is no shame in a hurricane party. It's not like dancing on someone's grave, its exactly
what it sounds like. Hunkering down in a secure place with plenty of beer, water, food, weed, cigars, women,
you name it, and thumbing your nose at the impending doom. Had more than a few in my time. My mother
would look at me like I was nuts. But I would drive out to the bayou and hang out and party long into the night.
NOW that I know how scared she was for me and for herself and my grandmother, I would not do it again, but it
was fun then.

And last, I mean NO ill will to anyone on this one, but a hell of a lot of people are going to get a SMALL taste
(Category 1 or below) of what New Orleans went through in Katrina, Betsy, Camille, and a dozen other Cat 4-5 storms.
I can almost understand that the rest of the country got tired of hearing about Katrina and the lasting physical and
psychological damage that the storm caused the people of the gulf coast, and I hope it doesn't take you five-ten years
to bounce back. It is a complete roll of the dice everytime.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not terribly worried about my house, but I live on an Island, with one way on and one way off. Back in 92, the bridge was covered in water, and there was no on/off which is the bigger concern. If anything happens we would have no way to leave or get help.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #27
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
11' storm surge + 30' waves they are calling for, not sure how these numbers work together or how far off shore he is but it sounds like there is potential.
I still think he is fine, but like I said, when these winds come, they don't really gust like normal
high winds, it's an amazing phenomenon to witness, it just NEVER STOPS. And the SOUND is
unearthly. The pressure pushes and bows window glass and water goes right around the glazing and
into your home. As bad as it is going to be, I am glad that many of you will get to experience it,
and hopefully survive without a scratch or damage. It is exhilarating, scary, life-affirming. Back
to the winds, there will still be gusts, super-scary ones. But there is no calm between them, like
I said, the wind just never stops coming, its frightening and awe inspiring and way cool. If you can
do it safely, I highly recommend sitting in a sheltered space like a porch, perpendicular to the wind
direction and watching it come through. There is nothing like it.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
I'm not terribly worried about my house, but I live on an Island, with one way on and one way off. Back in 92, the bridge was covered in water, and there was no on/off which is the bigger concern. If anything happens we would have no way to leave or get help.
I guess this will be worse than 92, not sure what you got back then, trop storm force or less?
This looks like a sho nuff Category 1 or better, probably not more owing to the cold water under
the storm, but you are correct in that there will be no way on or off for a good while. What's worse
is that depending on the construction of the bridge, it could be destroyed like the bridge in NO they
called the twin spans, crossing the short side of Lake Pontchartrain. The surge lifted the concrete
road bed and it's longditudinal supports off of the bridge piers themselves and just floated them off to
where they sank to the bottom of the lake. That bridge was closed for years. Hopefully your bridge
span is securely attached in all ways to it's supports. ANd again, I am thinking about all of you and
hoping for your safety.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #29
OLS
Suck It

I tell you one thing, ten feet of storm surge in that area of the country, no wonder all the grim faces at
the weather channel and NOAA. WAY TOO MANY folks in that path of that. I hope that the rainfall
predictions hold up. It would be nice to only swell the rivers a little bit. You don't need wet catastrophe
barreling in from both ends. GO WEST young men.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #30
BC-Axeman

I worry about my uncle at Atlantic Beach, Long Island. Shorefront on the leeward side. The surge is going to fill the channel. I hope to find out he has evacuated already.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Prayers and thoughts sent to all you brothers and sisters and I am hoping for the best.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #32
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Thoughts and prayers to all that are in Sandy's path.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #33
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

They just announced they're closing down Public Transportation in Boston.

Worried more for my Wife in the Coast Guard than me.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

It has been raining all night and the wind gusts and heavier rain is moving in. We are in Maryland just north of DC. The creeks and rivers are close to coming out of their banks, so roads will be flooding soon. They say the worse is yet to come and will be here for awhile. We're just going to hunker down and wait it out.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
Bigsam
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Bigsam is on a distinguished road

The Punisher
Bigsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #36
dubleuhb
Big egos have little ears

First Name: Bill
Trading: (2)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
dubleuhb is on a distinguished road

Keep yer powder dry brothers and sisters, good luck and hope for the best for all of you.
dubleuhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I guess this will be worse than 92, not sure what you got back then, trop storm force or less?
This looks like a sho nuff Category 1 or better, probably not more owing to the cold water under
the storm
, but you are correct in that there will be no way on or off for a good while. What's worse
is that depending on the construction of the bridge, it could be destroyed like the bridge in NO they
called the twin spans, crossing the short side of Lake Pontchartrain. The surge lifted the concrete
road bed and it's longditudinal supports off of the bridge piers themselves and just floated them off to
where they sank to the bottom of the lake. That bridge was closed for years. Hopefully your bridge
span is securely attached in all ways to it's supports. ANd again, I am thinking about all of you and
hoping for your safety.
While true it will stay a Cat 1, the cold water will actually strengthen Sandy due to baroclinic processes. Luckily that strengthening doesn't include stronger winds, but it does include a larger wind field, even if you're far out from the center(like all you MASSholes), do not play with this storm, y'all will see TS force winds for at least a few hours, probably more, depending on how far the wind field expands.

Stay safe guys. Ain't nothin wrong with a hurricane herf, so long as y'all prioritize your own and others' safety first.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
OLS
Suck It

Anyone staying at home ought to have a plan to chop a way out of the attic. Doubtful anyone would have to,
but don't be trapped like a rat. Think about what water you might get and then double it for precaution.
Although anyone near water who is still there today might be a little crazy.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #39
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

La Guardia already experiencing flooding, over 6 hours from land fall

DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
dubleuhb
Big egos have little ears

First Name: Bill
Trading: (2)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
dubleuhb is on a distinguished road

Wow!^^^ not a good sign.