Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Jbuford
We rock the party

First Name: Jeremiah
Trading: (0)
Cohiba Army (Served With Honor)
Jbuford is on a distinguished road
Default Gurkha

What is everyone's thought on Gurkha cigar? I've had a few and they are good but I don't understand why they are so expensive but you can buy them so cheap off some sites? So why are they so pricey?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gurkha

All I can say is "Smoke what you like". You will get a number of responses to that question. Not many members here are Gurkha fans. Gurkha makes allot of different cigars and it seems that the online stores get the less popular lines at cheaper prices. Gurkha is vary proud of their "Top Shelf" cigars and ask a hefty price for them.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
kcdeadmoney
Living the Dream...

First Name: Jim
Cohiba
kcdeadmoney is on a distinguished road

Any insight how the pricing works? A 5-pack of the Gurkha Titan XO costs $160 through CI. I just got the same 5-pack on CBid, which is owned by CI for $11 plus shipping.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
MUNKY
Resident Pig Hunter

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (19)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
MUNKY will become famous soon enoughMUNKY will become famous soon enough

In the famous words of Conch, smoke everything you can get your hands on and then smoke it again!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Sorry. Gurkhas make me
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Last Gurkha......EVER.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 AM   #7
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

I've only had one Gurkha that I liked, the OR Black Dragons. Maybe it's just me, but I've always had construction issues with Gutkhas. Either they're plugged, have wonky burns or start to crack and unravel while smoking.

As for pricing, who knows? Why do they make the HMR with a price point that's far beyond what most smokers can afford?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I agree with most on here the lower priced ones that are at almost all online stores have issues the wrappers split, uneven burn, and even a hoover cant draw on one. The flavors depending on your likes and dislikes have been acceptable and occasionally even good.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
I've only had one Gurkha that I liked, the OR Black Dragons. Maybe it's just me, but I've always had construction issues with Gutkhas. Either they're plugged, have wonky burns or start to crack and unravel while smoking.
Back when I was buying sampler after sampler in order to try a wide variety of cigars I probably smoked about 10 Gurkhas. All but one had some kind of a burn issue. I enjoyed two of them, six I didn't care for at all, and two were downright nasty. But even the one's I enjoyed had burn issues that would keep me from buying more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
As for pricing, who knows? Why do they make the HMR with a price point that's far beyond what most smokers can afford?
They're not catering to most smokers, they're after those with more money than taste, those who want to smoke a $750 cigar so they can be seen smoking a $750 cigar, and/or those with money who figure "what the hell, I can afford it, I'll give it a try".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdeadmoney View Post
Any insight how the pricing works? A 5-pack of the Gurkha Titan XO costs $160 through CI. I just got the same 5-pack on CBid, which is owned by CI for $11 plus shipping.
The $160 price for the Titan XO is MSRP, NOT what CI sells it for which is $60 (link: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...edition-titan/) . You got it on CBid for $11 because at that moment no one was willing to pay more than that for it. When using CBid you have to keep in mind that for the comparison price they list MSRP, not what they actually sell it for. When bidding I keep two tabs open in my browser, one on CBid and one to check the actual sell price at CI and other sites. You'd be amazed at how many times people bid more than the "normal" price for a lot.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

$160 cigars = smokers who typically wouldnt know a turd from a good cigar in my limited experience.

C-bid, and many of the other cigar bid sites all experience this. The worst I saw was on the bid site run by Famous for some kind of Opus MSRP was $18 a stick and the bid finished at over $30. Yes I was bidding but stopped at the $18 MSRP. The online shoppes have figured out that they can supplement their low prices with the bid sites that get people caught up in the excitement of the auction to run the price well above their normal price and MSRP.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a friend I pushed down the slope and he's likes Gurkhas, some of them.
We've talked about their reputation a lot and he asked me the same thing, why are there so many people that love them and hate them.

It's simple, if you like them, enjoy them and smoke them as much as you want! Smoke what you love!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

It's great marketing and promoting of the product. When you get that email from CI offering these expensive cigars at a really great price, you wonder what you are missing. So you start reading the write ups and reviews and say I have to try these. If you haven't smoked a lot of cigars, then these can become sort of a baseline of what a cigar should taste like. It's only after you start smoking a wider range of cigars that you can really figure out where Gurkhas fit in with your flavor profile. Over time, your tastes change and what you like to smoke will change as well.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
Heavy_d
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derek
Trading: (1)
Heavy_d will become famous soon enough

I've had 3 different Gurkhas, the Gurkha Seduction and the Wicked Indie and Red Witch from their East India Trading Co. line. The Seduction was actually pretty good as a mild morning stick and I lucked out and didn't have any burn issues with it, but I realize this is more the exception than the rule. With the EITC sticks, I really enjoyed the Wicked Indie, but both cigars had wonky burns and if I remember right, the Red Witch was a lite plugged. So while I enjoyed 2 of the 3, I probably wouldn't seek them out again.

But like Bluegill said, smoke what you love.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Last Gurkha......EVER.

Don't say that Tom! You've got a perfectly sh*tty one that I sent you! You'd hurt my feelings if you didn't smoke the ENTIRE cigar!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
kcdeadmoney
Living the Dream...

First Name: Jim
Cohiba
kcdeadmoney is on a distinguished road

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...tan-xo-5-pack/
These are the same item number I bought, is there a difference? These are $160.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
Big Perm
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jason
Big Perm is on a distinguished road

They are really hit and miss, with more misses

Easily 5 plus years ago, they had one called a Doble Maduro, or something like that.....loved that smoke....every now and again, I'll get one random Gurkha in a sampler and some are decent, but most have been a disappointment.

Due to supreme cheapness and a couple good reviews, I have a few in my humi despite better judgement, will try to write a review in the next month or so...
Big Perm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

OP: Marketing! Some I like, others not so much. De gustibus non est disputandum!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
Don't say that Tom! You've got a perfectly sh*tty one that I sent you! You'd hurt my feelings if you didn't smoke the ENTIRE cigar!
For $200 I will.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #19
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Damn, you're cheap, Tom! I figured a grand, min!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #20
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure I'd waste a couple perfectly good wooden matches lighting a Gurka.