Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Let's Make Dinner!

Okay, Michelle is working and we've been running for a few days, so today we have been pretty slow....REALLY slow. Thus, you get to watch a photo documentary of dinner.... This was a new recipe that someone from another forum posted and I tried to run with.... Thanks, Jt....

Let's start with a garlic bulb....

As instructed, an hour before firing the steak, I trimmed the tips of the garlic and drizzled with olive oil.... Now I'm supposed to have a garlic roaster for this, but at present do not... So into a little baking dish, covered and into the oven for 1 hour at 325.

Though Jt grilled his asparagus, I am just going to bake it, as it is chitty outside and I'm not going out to grill... So I trimmed the ends, drizzled some more olive oil, seasoned with some lemon pepper and salt, and set to the side(baked at 325 for a half hour)

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Let's Make Dinner!

The Little One wanted cheesy potatoes, so we diced up some white potatoes, threw in some red onion and butter, some seasoning and cooked for 45 minutes with the garlic and asparagus.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Time to prepare the steak. Needed to salt it for 30 minutes. So like it looks, cover with salt, let sit for 30 minutes. Apparently this is good for drying out the outside to make the searing more effective. Apparently the dryer the better, helps making it juicy after or something like that....

After a half hour, salt in rinsed off, steak is patted dry and then I put on a good layer of pepper.(This ruined the steak for the Little One, should have known better.. )
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Okay, garlic is done. Pulled it out, removed the cloves, good as gold. I love garlic, house smells fantastic.

Cheesy potatoes topped off(cheese added after cooking, then recovered).

Now more steak cooking.... The steak is seared for 45 seconds on each side on a HOT skillet....

Then thrown into the over, which is cooking at 500F right now.... Let cook in there for 4 minutes.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Pull steak out of the oven, let it sit and rest for 10 minutes.

I sauteed some onions in butter with the roasted garlic, garlic was added late, as to not soften it too much.

Asparagus and potatoes are done.....

...and here is dinner, which was FANTASTIC by the way. Maybe the best steak I have ever cooked, no lie. I would have never thought I could cook a steak this good in the house, with a frying pan and oven... Who'd have thought....
Old 05-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Looks like you were having some fun. Hope it taste as good as it looks.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Time to prepare the steak. Needed to salt it for 30 minutes. So like it looks, cover with salt, let sit for 30 minutes. Apparently this is good for drying out the outside to make the searing more effective. Apparently the dryer the better, helps making it juicy after or something like that....
It's a bit more than just drying the outside, it's pulling the water out of the entire steak. Not exactly the same as dry aging since the enzymes aren't getting much time to work, but it helps the flavor considerably since water isn't something known for it's delectable flavor. Here's a good explanation of what's going on when you heavily salt and rest a steak:

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-...me-steaks.html
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Looks delicious
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Looks good bro! I use the same method for garlic. Actually, I just roll em up in foil and put them in a muffin pan. Spread it on bread....oh yeah!
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

After dinner Trini Reyes & another glass of wine, it is a good day(evening). Weather even turned....
Old 05-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Your presentation looks excellent EJ
Old 05-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a great dinner EJ!! I hear the Food Network calling brother.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Looks fantastic. One thing we do with our asparagus is drizzle it with olive oil and dry italian seasoning mix, toss it, and grill it that way.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for sharing your dinner prep with us! It looks great!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

First Name: Richie bklyn
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
RichieBklyn is on a distinguished road

greaaat pics! now im jonesin for a steak!!!