Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default El Tiante Habano (Series 23)

Size: 6×54, Belicoso (Torpedo)

Wrapper: Nicaraguan

Binder: Indonesian

Filler: Habano Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 23, $175

Grade: 8.8

The El Tiante 23 Series is named after and created by Red Sox legend Luis Tiant. Completely handmade at the Tabacalera Tambor factory, it is rolled in the style of Old Cuba. Available in a Habano and Corojo wrappers, the 23 Series is the staple of El Tiante. Currently there is not a lot of information about the cigars on their website, but they are working on a new, interactive website that will unveil very soon. With these changes, they are also working on a new blend and updating the bands on the Series 23, which currently makes no distinction between the Habano and Corojo. Today we are taking on the medium bodied Habano and we will visit the Corojo later.

Now, on to the toast!

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Habano torpedo was quite stout, having been well rolled and packed, and had minimal veins. The light brown exterior was slightly rustic but overall very clean. The band is highly glossed and shows Luis Tiant in full windup, with 1964 and 1983 on either side. The aroma was very clean with a nice zest to it. It also had notes of earth with an aged barrel aroma in the background. The pre-light draw was excellent and revealed some leathery notes.

Burn, 1.7:
This stick lit easily with a couple matches and pulled nicely from the start. The burn was slow up front but sped up as the smoke progressed. The smoke emitted is very thick with a very sweet aroma. The ash was a nice whitish gray and held well, with a bit of flake along the edges. The second third required some minor touch-ups and had some hilly burning; the draw also got a little tight so I had to pay a bit more attention, but it never went out. There were no real problems to speak of in this category.

Flavor, 2.7:
The mouth was covered in pepper at first light, on the tongue and in the back of the throat, and there were some very strong earth notes immediately present. This profile continued through the first third, with some creaminess and a long finish. Overall, some fairly typical Nicaraguan flavors of earth and pepper dominated the first third. The Habano produced one of the thickest finishes I’ve had on a cigar. As the second third began, the pepper faded and the earth remained with a continued long finish. The final third brought a return to the creaminess evident up front with some continued hints of spice.

Overall, 2.7:
With all of the spice on this stick, I’d personally prefer a smaller size; the Robusto would be ideal for me. At just under $8 a stick, the price is just a bit strong in my opinion for a boutique cigar that has similar flavor profiles to Tatuaje, Illusion, and Brickhouse—I’d likely pick these up before I grabbed the El Tiante. These are also hard to come by. But overall, it provided a good burn, solid flavors, and a great exterior. If you see this one, go ahead and grab a couple; you won’t find anything necessarily new, but you’ll find a very comfortable and consistent smoke.

(Total: 8.8)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: El Tiante Habano (Series 23)

I've always wondered about these!!!

Thanks for the review!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Nicely done! Thanks for the review.
Saw the Tiant native son returns to Cuba documentary on ESPN. El Tiante had one of these cigars in his mouth in most every scene. And they looked delicious.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Nice.....Rec'd one of these from Todd/chachee in a trade....resting comfortably in my humi....I see a "spring training" smoke coming up....
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Nice.....Rec'd one of these from Todd/chachee in a trade....resting comfortably in my humi....I see a "spring training" smoke coming up....
Sounds like a very appropriate time to smoke it!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review...very interested in trying the maduro version.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review, thanks.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
They've had trouble stocking the Maduro, but they do have a Corojo. Here is their listing of cigars, http://www.eltiantecigars.com/cigars.html
Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
They've had trouble stocking the Maduro, but they do have a Corojo. Here is their listing of cigars, http://www.eltiantecigars.com/cigars.html
Thanks Matt!!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
There's a shock! ........Always keepin' an eye out for new maddies for ya Mac!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
There's a shock! ........Always keepin' an eye out for new maddies for ya Mac!
Always brother...always!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
homerjay19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (10)
Partagas
homerjay19 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, I have one sitting in the humidor that I am looking forward to try out.
homerjay19 is offline   Reply With Quote