Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough
Default What did I buy??

Found a pipe in a thrift shop today for $10, and figured what the heck, might as well pick it up. I'm relativly new to pipes but do enjoy it occationally.

The pipe is marked Hesson Guard on one side, and Milano on the other with a triangle with 'WDC' in it. Looks to be in decent shape, but definitely was used.

Any info on this? Tips for cleaning it and use? Thanx in advance!

aj
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What did I buy??

WDC was the William DeMuth Co. They made untold hundreds - maybe thousands - of pipe styles from briar, bakelite and meerschaum. They were around in the days of the amber pipestem - 1862 until the 1980's. I would say their worst pipes were fair and their best pipes were better than fair. However, there's no saying what a used pipes smoking quality is until it's cleaned and smoked. I own a couple of WDCs and they're both fine smoking pipes. They must have made a billion Wellingtons because there are always dozens for sale on ebay. I think the Milano pipes were the upscale pieces for WDC.

From pipedia: "In 1897 Ferdinand Feuerbach joined the DeMuth company and by 1903 had become the production manager. Feuerbach is credited with developing DeMuth's popular Royal DeMuth and Hesson Guard Milano pipelines."

Picture?

Last edited by Mister Moo; 03-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

RA

Thanx for the info. Hope it smokes well, but not sure I'd know the difference, as my other pipe is a Dr. Grabow lol

I'll get a pic up when I get home later.

aj
Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

RA

Pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newpipe1.jpg (30.0 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Newpipe2.jpg (57.3 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Newpipe3.jpg (33.7 KB, 249 views)
Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Cleaning a used pipe can get complicated but most folks start with:

a. reaming/scraping crud out of the bowl assuming it's briar; or
b. same if it's meerschaum only REALLY carefully to avoid cutting into the clay; and
c. cleaning the pipestem with bristle pipecleaners dipped in 91% isopropyl alcohol, Everclear or the high-proof booze; and
d. probably destinking/sanitizing the bowl*, also with 91% isopropyl or booze.

Cleaning a used pipe just depends on stuff but - botton line - you oughta clean the thing out well.

You pix look like the pipe has already been cleaned, was well cared for or only lightly smoked. If the bowl smells sweet, just remove the pipestem and clean it with a bristle pipecleaner dipped in rubbing- or drinking alcohol. Some pipes have screw-in stems which, I believe, your Milano does. Back the stem out carefully by turning counterclockwise; if it turns out not to be threaded, always remove and reinstall the stem by turning it clockwise. I have one Milano, early 20th century, and it has a wooden screw-in fitting on the stem; I would call it fragile. Go carefully.

*cleaning the inside of the bowl with alcohol involves securely propping the pipe at an angle, stem removed and the shank opening even with the bowls rim. Fill the bowl 80% with kosher (non-iodized) salt or cotton balls and carefully eyedropper in Everclear, 91% isopropyl alcohol or high proof booze. Don't overfill - one drop of alcohol (out the shank or over the rim) on the outside of your pipe will instantly remove the finish. Let it sit until dry and repeat until salt stops pulling grunge; if salt is very nasty, wait for the pipe to dry, dump it out and start again until the salt stays more/less white and the pipe smells sweet.

EDIT: I think WDC pipes can be dated by patent numbers if you want to get into it. I'd say you got a $10 deal if nothings broken. Pretty wood.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 03-15-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote