Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #41
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Re: zombie fan? Read Day by Day Armageddon? Read on!

Thanks for the link Andy! WOOT! preordered
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #42
Dooge
I drink with awsmith4!

Trading: (4)
Dooge will become famous soon enough

no worries, my man!
Dooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #43
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished reading the book, Andy. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
Looks like you're safe for now.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #44
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooge View Post
Just pre-ordered Day By Day Armageddon. After the brilliant writing of JL Borne on the first book, i highly recommend it for any zombie apocalypse fan.
i read most of the first one when he had it up online (4, 5 years ago?) before he took it down to publish. i wouldn't go so far as to say he's a brilliant writer, by any means. it was a fun read, and i'm a huge zombie nut, but i wasn't tempted to purchase.

much better read, i'd say, is max brooks' world war Z - really well done, thought out and hopefully coming to a theater near us, at some point (brad pitt's production company bought the rights, but it's kinda floundering). also, there's an ongoing comic/graphc novel called the walking dead - also well done. and will be a six part mini-series on AMC this fall.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to deter anyone from buying the day by day book, i just wasn't totally enamored with it.

and wtf? tebow with the 25th pick? does mcdaniels just do stuff for shock value?
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #45
GTS21
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
Vegueros
GTS21 will become famous soon enough

Just finished the Zombie Survival Guide, also by Max Brooks. Good stuff, and I feel more prepared for when the walking dead inhabit the earth feeding on the flesh of the living.
GTS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #46
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
i read most of the first one when he had it up online (4, 5 years ago?) before he took it down to publish. i wouldn't go so far as to say he's a brilliant writer, by any means. it was a fun read, and i'm a huge zombie nut, but i wasn't tempted to purchase.

much better read, i'd say, is max brooks' world war Z - really well done, thought out and hopefully coming to a theater near us, at some point (brad pitt's production company bought the rights, but it's kinda floundering). also, there's an ongoing comic/graphc novel called the walking dead - also well done. and will be a six part mini-series on AMC this fall.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to deter anyone from buying the day by day book, i just wasn't totally enamored with it.

and wtf? tebow with the 25th pick? does mcdaniels just do stuff for shock value?
I just got World War Z and started into it. It looks like I'm gonna like it, thanks Larry.
I got the Zombie Survival Guide, too. I seem to remember leafing through that one at a bookstore long ago, thinking I might enjoy it. Bought something else. There's a newish book called Zombies Forever, and it looks like its going to be fun. It's supposed to be funny.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #47
SouthernSmoke
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (6)
Partagas
SouthernSmoke is on a distinguished road

I bought this yesterday on my iPad and finished it tonight. Awesome book and I cant wait for the second part to come out. I'd honestly be reading it right now if I could.....

Thanks for the awesome book recommendation!
SouthernSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #48
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

My order came in. DBDA 2
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #49
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

DBDA2 is an awesome continuation of the story!
How can you not love this book?!?!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #50
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I just got Beyond Exile on my iPad. I'll read it later today. I'm totally looking forward to it.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #51
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I read Beyond Exile in two sittings.
It was okay. It got way too military-speak for my liking. It was short on zombie attack and long on filler. I'm sure I'll read the next entry in the series, but I'm not real excited about it.
It just never advanced the story to any length. The love story didn't develop, the Iraqi buddy didn't develop, and the bunker story barely developed. It was a lot like watching an hour long part of a twelve part season on HBO.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #52
Dooge
I drink with awsmith4!

Been a while since i've posted. Might as well make my glorious return by posting here.

While I think that Beyond Exile was a fantastic read it did lean a little bit towards this guy being the saviour of the world.

I did enjoy the part of the book where he became alone again, until he started getting his special gifts... wasn't able to wrap my head around that part completely but meh... it might make sense in the next book.

All in all, a great book but I do agree with shilala on this: short on zombie attack and long on filler.

two zombie thumbs up from me for any zombie apocalypse fan.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #53
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooge View Post
Been a while since i've posted. Might as well make my glorious return by posting here.

While I think that Beyond Exile was a fantastic read it did lean a little bit towards this guy being the saviour of the world.

I did enjoy the part of the book where he became alone again, until he started getting his special gifts... wasn't able to wrap my head around that part completely but meh... it might make sense in the next book.

All in all, a great book but I do agree with shilala on this: short on zombie attack and long on filler.

two zombie thumbs up from me for any zombie apocalypse fan.
I think Bourne could have really ran with the Zombie Hoarde thing. Stuff they did, how they evolved, got smarter, and how they were gonna outsmart the giant masses of Zombies.
The Iraqi guy could really pan out with his special skillz. His chick could get bitten, hide it, and try to eat him while they were sexing it up, and he'd be torn because he had to shoot her face off.
This second book really leaves a lot of potential for a third book to be insanely good. Hell,me and you could write it.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #54
Dooge
I drink with awsmith4!

I smell a plan.