Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default CAO La Traviata

Yeah, we loved this one!

Size: 5×50, Robusto (Divino)

Wrapper: Ecaudorian Habano

Binder: Cameroon

Filler: Nicraguan & Dominican

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 24, $130

Grade: 9.5

The CAO La Traviata is another smoke that has garnered a great deal of conversation around the blogosphere and on Twitter. Announced at this year’s IPCPR event, held on August 8-12 in New Orleans, CAO picks up a time honored tradition on this cigar. The mission is best stated in the press release from CAO:
The La Traviata brand began its life at the turn of the 20th Century in Cuba or, more precisely, in the Tabacalera Cubana, Agramonte no. 106, in Havana. Over 100 years later, CAO has resurrected the La Traviata name, abiding closely to its original Cuban roots in presentation and taste. CAO La Traviata is a full-bodied, full-flavored cigar that combines an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper with a Cameroon binder and incorporates two different ligero filler tobaccos from the Pueblo Nuevo farm in Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. “The inspiration for La Traviata came from smoking numerous classic Cuban cigars,” said CAO President Tim Ozgener. “We wanted to create a cigar that appealed to sight, smell, and taste. The oily sheen of the Ecuadorian wrapper compels you to pick it up. The pre-light has a distinct pepper and leather nose. The flavor bombards the palate with intense, rich notes of cedar, anise, and leather, evolving along the way into a lush and creamy finish. We’ve also stayed true to the original La Traviata vista and artwork circa 1901-1904.”

Packaged in 24-count boxes, CAO La Traviata will be available in three shapes: Divino (5″ x 50), Radiante (6″ x 52), and Intrepido (7″ x 54), and will have a suggested retail price range of $4.95 to $5.75 per cigar.
With buzz mounting, I picked this smoke up at a shop near Atlanta on a recent client visit. It looked great on the shelf and, after conferring with my partner in crime here at Toasted Foot, I decided to review this CAO blend for our first week launch.

Pre-light, 1.9:
The Ecuadorian Habano wrapper on this smoke had a nice, oily sheen to it with minimal veins. The dark brown color was very rich and appealing and the cigar was well constructed with a nice weight and no soft spots. La Traviata is featured prominently on the label, which I believe translates to the woman who strayed. The color combination of gold, deep yellow, wine, and blue is very classy and a departure from the edgy labels we are accustomed to from CAO. The pre-light aroma is of earthy tobacco with some warm spice at the foot. The cold draw was heavy on spice in the back of the throat and in the nose.

Burn, 1.8:
The draw was excellent, could not be better, and produced loads of aromatic smoke. The burn was pretty even and required no touch ups or re-lights. The ash did not hold past one inch and was very flaky, but I expected this because of the draw. The cigar was relatively cool the entire length of the smoke.

Flavor, 2.9:
The first draw on this cigar produced a ton of smoke that tasted of earthy tobacco and some leather. The first third continued this flavor profile but the cigar seemed to take on a more roasted flavor at times. There was some pepper on the exhale but it was not prominent. The second third became a bit creamier with a few notes of cocoa on the palate. There was a hint of sweetness at times but was not consistent. The last third of the La Triviata seemed to mellow out and I picked up notes of cedar. The entire smoke was very full in flavor and coated the palate with a long finish.

Overall, 2.9:
Wow, at about $5.50 a stick this one is a must have. I hated to see it end; I smoked it to the nub and wished for more. I would call this a full bodied smoke, but it was not as heavy as I anticipated. CAO really blended this smoke well—this is without a doubt box worthy!

(Total: 9.5)
Old 11-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CAO La Traviata

I agree with you on this one. I bought a box of them after smoking a couple, and I am not upset that I did. Great smoke for the price.

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Agreed....was REALY happy with this stick........
Old 11-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
SkinsFanLarry

Excellant review my brother!

I think I like the Brick House just a little better though!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Amazing what a company can do when they focus on the cigar and not so much the packaging. These are not bad at all.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna have to give this one a try...thansk for the great review!!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post
Excellant review my brother!

I think I like the Brick House just a little better though!
I smoked a brickhouse recently, and while it was a good smoke, I think the La Traviata blows it out of the water But that's the beauty of cigars, everyone likes different stuff.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

It's on my list to try. Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
I smoked a brickhouse recently, and while it was a good smoke, I think the La Traviata blows it out of the water But that's the beauty of cigars, everyone likes different stuff.
Scott
I picked up a Brickhouse a couple weeks ago; looking forward to lighting it up!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

I smoked one of these but it was so plugged I could not smoke it very long, I tried to use my draw tool but it just caused it to split all the way down the wrapper. the flavors I did get were good, I should pick up a couple more
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road

I just had one of these out on my cold front porch! It was a very good smoke. I enjoyed it a lot!!

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
DougBushBC

smoked my first of these recently, very veyr very good for the price, even with no price involved a very nice smoke. First thing out of CAO that i have truly enjoyed
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
rlmedic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (5)
rlmedic is on a distinguished road

I just got one in my B+M cigar of the month pack and it really surprized me. I have been really unhappy with CAO lately and this turned out to be a great smoke, plus a great price you can't go wrong.
rlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

After I enjoyed this so much, I recommended this to a friend of mine this afternoon, and he really liked it as well!

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
baldanders
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jim
Partagas
baldanders is on a distinguished road

Had one gifted to me a few weeks back.I liked it a lot definitely one of the better CAOs
baldanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #16
Cigary

These can be had at TampaHumidor.com for $98.25 a box. They will probably sell out pretty quick at that price so get em while they are hot. If you are interested in singles then mix and match the sizes and shipping is free.

http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/prod...ivino-5551.cfm
Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #17
DougBushBC

I am going to smoke another of these today, thye really were delicious!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
These can be had at TampaHumidor.com for $98.25 a box. They will probably sell out pretty quick at that price so get em while they are hot. If you are interested in singles then mix and match the sizes and shipping is free.

http://www.tampahumidor.com/sd4/prod...ivino-5551.cfm
Very tempting, especially at that price point! I just may have to pick up a box of these for my new humidor!!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

Shoot! Doesn't look like they are available at that price anymore! I should have grabbed a box this morning!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #20
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

BOOM! Called them this morning and scored a box at that price!! Cigary, thanks for the heads up on that price!