Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #141
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: LOST Notes

WHOA! Last night's episode blew my freakin mind! I'm still trying to digest everything!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #142
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

There is no way Sayid was successful...No way at all!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #143
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
There is no way Sayid was successful...No way at all!
Couple things occured to me on this:

If Sawyer & Company are actually on the same timeline as the original Dharma Initiative, then I agree. Ms. Hawking was a firm believer in not being able to alter an event timeline once it was established (e.g., Desmond & the dude with the red shoes.) However, we have seen how the Losties--Locke in particular--have been able to alter future events by interacting with people in the past (Richard, Jughead, etc.), so I'm not so sure now...

What if the island reset to the 70s and is now on a NEW timeline (i.e., it's along a different path/node?) Can't the Losties impact that timeline, so that Sayid could be successful? And what would that do to the Ben who is stuck in the present along a different timeline with Lapidus & Sun?

On a related topic: Ben continues to get his ass kicked week after week. This time by dear old dad.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #144
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysguitar View Post
WHOA! Last night's episode blew my freakin mind! I'm still trying to digest everything!
Wha???

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #145
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post

If Sawyer & Company are actually on the same timeline as the original Dharma Initiative, then I agree. Ms. Hawking was a firm believer in not being able to alter an event timeline once it was established (e.g., Desmond & the dude with the red shoes.) However, we have seen how the Losties--Locke in particular--have been able to alter future events by interacting with people in the past (Richard, Jughead, etc.), so I'm not so sure now...

What if the island reset to the 70s and is now on a NEW timeline (i.e., it's along a different path/node?) Can't the Losties impact that timeline, so that Sayid could be successful? And what would that do to the Ben who is stuck in the present along a different timeline with Lapidus & Sun?

On a related topic: Ben continues to get his ass kicked week after week. This time by dear old dad.
nice...didn't even think of the Timeline resetting.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #146
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:

Quote:
nice...didn't even think of the Timeline resetting.
Yeah! Nice! Wha???

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #147
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

LOST 5 - Episode 10 "He's Our You"
1. Young Sayid's sacrificial act (killing the chicken) reminded me of Mr. Eko's flashback, in which warlords ordered Eko's brother Yemi to kill an unarmed man or be killed himself. Yemi couldn't do it. To save his life, Eko stepped up and did the deed.

2. The book that young Ben brings to Sayid is "A Separate Reality." The text is basically a thesis on the need for psychotropic drugs to achieve a proper state for seeing an alternate reality.

3. "You never brought me a sandwich" spoken by Ben's dad, Roger. This is the same line Ben gave Juliet back when she was bringing Jack all those great lunches in season 3 at the Hydra Station.

4. Radzinsky threatened to call Ann Arbor, Michigan for guidance on what to do with Sayid. If you remember correctly, the hippie couple who started the Dharma Initiative were Gerald and Karen DeGroot (at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor). We saw them in the Swan and Pearl Hatch Orientation films.

5. Remember when Goodwin's wife, Harper, told Juliet (Ben's crush at the time) "you look so much like her". Perhaps adult Ben liked Juliet because she reminded him of someone he had a crush on when he was a kid in Dharmaville... Juliet! Hahahaha!

6. Themes we've seen before - mind altering drugs, a teepee-like sweat lodge, pulling a gun to shoot someone to fix a mess. From the season 3 episode "Further Instructions" where Locke's flashback revealed he lived with pot-growing hippies who were infiltrated by an FBI agent named Eddie. The on-island scenes in that episode showed Locke in a sweat lodge experimenting with drugs to help him realize his purpose on the island. I love how this show repeats themes!

7. Sawyer's Long Con? When Sawyer and Richard met to discuss the business of Paul's body (2 weeks ago) perhaps Sawyer told Richard that his people will help orchestrate the Purge. This may be why Richard tells Ben he'll have to "be very patient". I believe Sawyer is playing the Dharma Initiative and keeping his friends in the dark for their own safety. He's good at pulling a long con (remember how he pulled a long con on Cassidy and on the Losties to get the guns?).

8. Popular opinion is that Ben knew he had to solidify Sayid's killing nature and his hatred for Ben so that when returning to the past, Sayid would shoot him. It seems that Sayid's hunting down and killing of Widmore's buddies never really meant anything in the grand scheme of things. Not only were these killings unnecessary, they might not even have been related to anything other than planting the seeds of murder in Sayid's brain. To hone his killing instinct. Ben orchestrated the whole thing. He even lied about how Locke died so that Sayid would spring back into action to protect Hurley. In summary... Ben wanted Sayid to shoot his younger self and helped him reach the mental/ emotional state he would need to be in to shoot an innocent child for the greater good.

9. Maybe Ben getting shot in 1977 will somehow delay or prevent him from joining the hostiles (I'm assuming he survives the gun shot)? Maybe the purge will be avoided? Somehow 2007 Ben understands that getting shot in the past will cause ripples through time that will change things in a direction favorable to his master plan.

10. A theory I read and liked... "Have you considered that maybe the 2004 the 815ers were in was never meant to be? Maybe by going back in time and changing things, Sawyer and friends are course correcting flukes in the past that weren't supposed to happen. Things went wrong...maybe because Locke didn't make it to the island on time, and Ben wasn't supposed to kill all the Dharma people, and Locke would have been leader earlier... maybe the wrong side won and so now they're back in time to change it."

11. Attached is a close-up of Hurley's jumpsuit with Dharma kitchen logo. Someone pointed it out and I thought it was funny so I grabbed a photo of it. It's a chef's hat with an X below. It reminds me of a skull and crossbones. Funny for a kitchen logo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hurley's jumpsuit.jpg (28.7 KB, 202 views)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #148
TheJ

Ben gets shot. Bravo. Well done. Finally an episode where I come away somewhat if not completely satisfied.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #149
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

One question I had (well, there's more than one, but just one that I thought might have an easy answer by someone less forgetful than me ): if Sawyer & Co., are stuck in the 70s, where did he get the taser he used on Sayid? Has he always had a taser on him--say, from the present?--and have we seen it before? That stuck out to me, for some reason.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #150
TheJ

Quote:
One question I had (well, there's more than one, but just one that I thought might have an easy answer by someone less forgetful than me ): if Sawyer & Co., are stuck in the 70s, where did he get the taser he used on Sayid? Has he always had a taser on him--say, from the present?--and have we seen it before? That stuck out to me, for some reason.
Good call on the taser. I didn't even think about that.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #151
mrreindeer

JUST watched the most recent episode last night...holy SH!T!

And got all caught up but can't find the damn season premiere anywhere....what the heck do I do?

I want to go in and read more of this thread (haven't wanted to because I wasn't caught up)....

But I'm just wondering 2 things after all this:

a) why is Sayid doing Ben's dirty work
b) why the heck the Others are at odds with the Dharma gang to begin with....
Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #152
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Go read up Dave!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #153
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

Poor Dave...I'll help you with the first one...Ben told Sayid that the Widmore people killed his(Sayid's) wife-he is killing those folks for revenge.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #154
BarneyBandMan
Owner - Club Deck

Trading: (1)
Partagas
BarneyBandMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:

2. The book that young Ben brings to Sayid is "A Separate Reality." The text is basically a thesis on the need for psychotropic drugs to achieve a proper state for seeing an alternate reality.
Yeah--forgot about this one until just now. I saw the book and immediately knew it by its cover. I told my wife it was a Carlos Castaneda book I had read back in 1978 while a freshman in college (don't all engineering majors read that stuff?). Several of us read the first three books he had written and ordered up some shrooms and peyote from ads in High Times. I never achieved the higher level of consciousness. Sigh...I may not be "Others" material...nor did I end up an engineer.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #155
Ollie
It's gon RAIN

Trading: (5)
Ollie is on a distinguished road

This "58 minutes of connect-the-dots followed by 2 minutes of OMG-OMG" format is getting a little old.

There should be an awesome episode coming up soon...
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #156
Cyanide

Quote:
I was under the impression that Tazers are not that new of technology. So, I figured it was just an early implementation of such technology.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #157
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

Seems like every once in a while they have to throw in an episode that fills in the gaps. We found out what Kate did with Aaron, but I would sure like to know what happened to Daniel. He arrived with Sawyer & Co at the Dharma camp and we haven't seen him since that episode-where did he go?

Looks like things are going to heat up for Ben next week.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #158
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Uh, Bao. Was this week not 'note' worthy?
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #159
Waynegro1

I need my notes, Bao!! Where ya at, fratello
You're like a drug dealer. I'm hooked already, what do you want?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #160
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Uh, Bao. Was this week not 'note' worthy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegro1 View Post
I need my notes, Bao!! Where ya at, fratello
You're like a drug dealer. I'm hooked already, what do you want?
Chit!! Sorry...