Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #4001
shade
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mark
Trading: (5)
shade will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Photography Thread

Shot taken yesterday at Longwood Gardens. Ornamental black pepper with yellow flower background.

Last edited by shade; 09-12-2014 at 08:14 AM.
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #4002
shade
Still Watching My Back

One more.

Last edited by shade; 09-12-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #4003
shade
Still Watching My Back

Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #4004
shade
Still Watching My Back

Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #4005
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #4006
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #4007
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #4008
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Just picked up a Nikon D300s last week, still haven't had time to play around with it enough to begin to get my settings the way I want them but it seems like an interesting. Should be a nice addition to my D7000 for sports shooting
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #4009
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
Now this looks like fun! Some old Ford hot rod:

Looks like IceHog is driving.
Love the hat, Tom!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #4010
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

That's pretty LUSH right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade View Post
Shot taken yesterday at Longwood Gardens. Ornamental black pepper with yellow flower background.

OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #4011
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
Just picked up a Nikon D300s last week, still haven't had time to
play around with it enough to begin to get my settings the way I want them but it seems like an
interesting. Should be a nice addition to my D7000 for sports shooting
You might like the D7000 better for sports, unless it sucks at that. Well, I imagine the D300s does a lot of
things faster, or did. I know the D200, D300 and D700 are really nice-feeling cameras in the hand.
And I have a D7000, and I would STILL like to have even a D300 just to shoot with and maybe keep.
Whether it was S or not.

Shot a festival over the weekend and for a change, got the outdoor light advantage. Its scary how
often I do not shoot in daylight. I am pretty sure these 3 are all Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED manual-
focus lens shots.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #4012
OLS
Suck It

Wild band here, I mean they were the good kind of loud and distorted.

The cat playing bass was TALL....The 24mm Nikkor 2.8 AI exaggerates the features top and bottom, but all they do
is get the full HEIGHT in. So yep, he's that tall.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #4013
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

The deeper buffer is going to be very helpful with burst shots which is probably 80% of my bike racing shooting. The extra FPS isn't too shabby either. The 7000 will be much better for low light but I think I can pull it off with either one with the right lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
You might like the D7000 better for sports, unless it sucks at that. Well, I imagine the D300s does a lot of
things faster, or did. I know the D200, D300 and D700 are really nice-feeling cameras in the hand.
And I have a D7000, and I would STILL like to have even a D300 just to shoot with and maybe keep.
Whether it was S or not.

Shot a festival over the weekend and for a change, got the outdoor light advantage. Its scary how
often I do not shoot in daylight. I am pretty sure these 3 are all Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED manual-
focus lens shots.

CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #4014
OLS
Suck It

If I had it to do over, I might have oeted for the D300s instead of the D7000, but I had been lusting after a newer
crop body that could hang in the dark where a camera I use has to be comfy. But the brutal speed of those heavy
Nikons is tough to beat, especially when they pair that wicked autofocus with the burst rate. First time you ever
shoot with one you notice it immediately and you never want to go back. I guess my impression, having never shot
a D300 or an S, is that it is a crop-body D700 for all intents and purposes. No matter how many cameras I shoot with,
the D700 just keeps on proving out as the better machine. I do like the D600, but I try not to shoot with it much.
Only when I need the resolution, I guess.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #4015
OLS
Suck It

This is NOT Rick from The Walking Dead........but DAMN it looked like him.
STILL, I saw NO zombies at this event, so.....

Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #4016
OLS
Suck It

The dangers of the acquisition impulse.

As you know if you are always in this thread, going back years, I have a case of the I-wants something fierce for
Nikon camera gear. But I have champagne tastes and a beer budget, so I made sure to always buy a camera body that
had a motor inside of it so I could buy old lenses for less money and try my best to get the best acuity and quality and
QUALITIES I could get. The same qualities I could get in "L Glass" in the Canon parlance' or just "the expensive
5hit" is what its called in Nikon I guess. You LOSE coating advancements and corrective optics, in the newest sense of the
word anyway. but in some cases, like the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED AI manual focus lens, you have a HUGE ED glass
element right up front and its a reasonably-priced, older design. But blabalbla, I have legendary lenses like the Nikkor
105mm f/2.5 AI-s, and the 85mm f/2 and the 180 above and several other monster lenses. I researched endlessly
and BOUGHT everything I wanted, and kept it or sold it based on how it fit into what I thought I needed. But I guess
I grew impatient in a way, I wanted to keep SHOPPING for stuff and playing with it. But the only thing left to really
explore were the really old, pre-AI, Nippon Kogaku, moon-rocket-era lenses that were perfectly good for the time,
but can damage most modern digital Nikons. Advances and improvements to it's legendary F-mount have PUT THINGS IN
THE WAY that can get torn out by snapping on one of these old lenses.

And here is where the story finally gets going....haha, sorry. I ACTUALLY found myself justifying, today, upgrading my
Nikon D40, which can accept ALL THE F-mount lenses every made without damaging anything, to a Nikon D3200 or D5100,
so that not only could I go back and use all of these OLD classic lenses, but I could do it in high enough resolution to make it
worth DOING AT ALL, since I try to make a living shooting print-worthy photos that I can sell. I HAVE all these other lenses
in their "MODERN" manual focus equivalents, and some are even duplicated in auto-focus primes as well. On top of that
I have high resolution bodies that accept ALL of my lenses. And I HAVE THE NERVE to even CONTEMPLATE spending
MORE MONEY on a new "cheap" body (either one of which will also accept any F-mounte lens without damage) so that
I can spend EVEN MORE MONEY on "dangerous" (lol) lenses I already have better copies of to use on my excellent range
of bodies.

WHAT THE _ _ _ _ ? Thank goodness at the end of every day, I kind of just dump all of it out and keep the plastic in
my pants. Ironic how all of the things that can take all your money and leave you broke all start because you couldn't
keep things safely there?

But all that said, I was shooting a girl the other day singing at a festival, and I caught her in profile, and I was shooting
with I THINK a 105mm f/2.5, and I swear it looked like an old Playboy shot. And its the LENSES. So exploring these
really old versions, ehh, its not THAT expensive of a habit, and you get to look at an awfully large range of rendering
characteristics while you have fun and experiment. Provided you have a nice new used Nikon D5100, lol. Seriously
that is what its been about. My D40, which is not even part of what I shoot with, it is something I am actively trying
to sell, ACCEPTS the lenses, but the photo output is at 6MP, which is NICE to print from, but not always adequate
for my business of selling prints. Couple that with the miserable ISO range and youc an SEE that I NEED this upgraded
tool on two fronts. You know, so I can spend more money on lenses I don't need to shoot shots I can get with a D700
or a D600 or a D7000 or even a D100, D70s (or the aforementioned D40, lolololol.)

Last edited by OLS; 09-24-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #4017
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

VB

Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #4018
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

Charlotte's Web, but no Charlotte:

Old 09-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #4019
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

The leaves are beginning to change already.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #4020
shade
Still Watching My Back

Fountain grass