Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
mrreindeer

Default Re: Foie Gras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Love the stuff although even thinking about it elevates my cholesterol. Last time I had it was seared and served on top of a petite filet over a potato puree. A bit of red wine on the side and I was dining like a king!!!
I'm with Scott on both. So high in cholesterol but so good. My fave is also seared, almost to a crispy outside, in a balsamic reduction. If it's on the menu like that or similar, I'll likely indulge. So freakin' good. Damn it, Dustin, you've done it again (sushi, now foie gras).

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I must admit the stories of ducks having grain shoved down their throats by a pipe is a little disturbing
Yeah, not so thrilled about this either but I try not to think about it. I hear they feed the birds until their stomachs actually explode. Why the heck do they have to do that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Do not like Foie Gras at all. Even had it in Lyon France, had it stuffed in filet mignon, had it other ways... Yuck. I do not like irony tastes in meat like liver or organ meats...
Not sure how you've had it Moses but it really shouldn't taste irony the way a lot of the nice joints are fixin' it up. Liver & onions, yeah, a little irony I think (from last I had it & it's been years) but seared foie gras, nothin' like it, just crispy, creamy goodness, almost melts in your mouth with a great sweet sauce over it! I'd give it another shot at a really nice place.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #22
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Mind numbingly perfect cover. I would like to be served this at least once a year.

Foie Gras, Roasted marrow bones, great french bread (slightly toasted possibly with some garlic butter optional). Side of several possible stouts or ales.

Heart attack optional as an aperitif.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #23
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
So freakin' good. Damn it, Dustin, you've done it again (sushi, now foie gras).

Hehe, sorry bro. I am just as much of a hedonist as everyone else. I indulge when I can and to me there is no greater indulgence than good Foie Gras and a great bottle of wine.

Mmmm roasted marrow bones.... YUM!
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #24
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I'm not a fan of eating organs, so I pass on foie gras.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #25
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Foie Gras, Roasted marrow bones, great french bread (slightly toasted possibly with some garlic butter optional). Side of several possible stouts or ales.
Roasted MArrow Bones, oh man, know you are talking. Best $2/lbs you can spend at your butcher! Beef butter, all you need to know!
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
Roasted MArrow Bones, oh man, know you are talking. Best $2/lbs you can spend at your butcher! Beef butter, all you need to know!
Had a nice osso buco awhile back and was a little freaked out when they handed me a marrow spoon. Turned out to be one of the most delicious things I've eaten, 'beef butter' is a perfect description.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #27
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
:
Not sure how you've had it Moses but it really shouldn't taste irony the way a lot of the nice joints are fixin' it up.
I have had at as good as it can get in some of the fanciest places in Vegas, Montreal, and France... I just can't stand liver and no preparation is going to change that. It's not fair for me to comment on Foie Gras as I am just so biased against liver. As a cook, I can appreciate some of what I tried, and if I did like liver; I'd be still talking about it.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #28
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I'm not a fan of eating organs.
I with you on that one!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #29
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Had a nice osso buco awhile back and was a little freaked out when they handed me a marrow spoon. Turned out to be one of the most delicious things I've eaten, 'beef butter' is a perfect description.
Mmmmm Osso Buco when done right is just fabulous!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #30
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

never tried heard its good tho
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #31
SirMoby

I enjoy it plain but dollar for dollar there other things that I enjoy more.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #32
Punchlover

still have not tried it and i am an old man, big fancy dinner coming up soon tho, i must have it
Old 04-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #33
Kwilkinson

Foie Gras is truly incredible. I didn't know about it until coming to culinary school, but man do I love it. It is simply perfect, in all its forms. The restaurant I work at always has it on the menu, either as a hot dish or cold item. Right now we're serving it as a torchon with a light salad made of cara cara orange, poached rhubarb, and micro greens with a light vinaigrette. It's just amazing and delicious. At school, we put a lobe of foie gras in a bag with a whole beef tenderloin. Then we cooked it sous-vide, and the tenderloin was so tender, perfectly cooked, and the entire thing tasted like foie gras. Incredible!!

Las, if you ever want to cook it at your own place, D'Artagnan is probably the best place to get good foie, and from there the only thing you have to do is not mess it up!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #34
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

love the stuff!

We have a big deli/liquor store in downtown Houston that usually keeps Foie Gras at the Deli counter. I normally get a 1" think slice and just eat it plain with water crackers.

as far as the cruelty thing, I hate to say it but I know it's inhumane and I eat it anyway!
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #35
DougBushBC

Thought this would be an area for a first post. I am in the high end white-table cloth Meat/Specialty goods busines, and I absolutely adore Foie Gras. I sell around 300 pounds of Hudson Valley's Grade 'A' fresh stuff a week and I eat some too!

Not sure if anyone has seen it, but Anthony Bourdain has done two major specials on Foie Gras. One (on no reservations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABeWlY0KFv8) was short and one was an hour long special explaining it.

I have had complaints and threats for selling the product, but still love it!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #36
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

VR

Thought I would revive another "blast from the past" thread as I will be dining on some delicious Foie Gras this weekend in celebration of our newly purchased home.

And I don't know if I mentioned it, but earlier in the year when my wife and I were in Vegas we ate at Mario Batali's CarneVino restaurant. I dined on sweetbreads and Foie and various other types of offal to my heart's content. It was epic!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #37
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
You are 100% correct my friend. In fact my favorite quote from Anthony Bourdain pertains to the Peta bastards as well as Vegetarians in general

"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, foie gras, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food"
Before I read that quote I didn't care one way or another about Vegans, now I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before quote:
Vegan ------> <-------- Me

After Quote:
Vegan ------> <-------- Me
Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #38
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

yum. had some a couple of weeks ago that was terrific.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #39
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

have tried it a few times since my last post of not trying it, decadent stuff
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #40
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Tried it, never liked it. Except for this one, I almost always like anything that I can't pronounce properly.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote